Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by jimi'shemi291 [​IMG]

The other film sited that tops BULLITT'S chase is, THE SEVEN-UPS. Another Yates film and Scheider's chase is pretty intense. But I don't believe a minute of it. Again, another incompetent driver who seems scared to death to be driving at such high speeds. Well. maybe that IS realistic. But the 4-dr Nova is simply not cool, despite (I suspect) the fake high performance engine sound dubbing.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    As far as chase scenes and no special effects.
    What about HB "Toby" Halicki's original "Gone in 60 Seconds"?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fire trucks that pull up to the accident on the Vincent Thomas Bridge were real fire trucks going to a real call when they came across the movie accident scene. And some of the pedestrians seen yelling at the cop cars during the chase scenes were people that weren't aware that a movie was being made and were angry that the cops weren't stopping for the crashed movie cars with stunt drivers in them.
    [​IMG]

Originally Posted by jimi'shemi291 [​IMG]

The other film sited that tops BULLITT'S chase is, THE SEVEN-UPS. Another Yates film and Scheider's chase is pretty intense. But I don't believe a minute of it. Again, another incompetent driver who seems scared to death to be driving at such high speeds. Well. maybe that IS realistic. But the 4-dr Nova is simply not cool, despite (I suspect) the fake high performance engine sound dubbing.

2. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

Three Eleanors were created for use in the movie. One was heavily modified and used for stunt driving, one was used in the external shots, and the third was for hanging cameras in shots of Toby behind the wheel or external POV footage. All the Mustangs were bought new in 1971 but it was three years before Halicki could raise sufficent funds to start filming so all three Mustangs were modified to resemble 1973 model year cars. Ironically, not only were the cars not original '73 cars as typically thought, but not one of them were ever Mach 1 Mustangs, contrary to popular legend.
    The main car survived despite two serious incidents during filming. The first occurred when another driver overshot his mark, clipped Eleanor in the rear and sent it careening into a steel light pole in excess of 100 mph, caving the left front fender in. After two hours of repairs, filming resumed. The second occurred after an impressive 128-foot jump in which the car soars over 30 feet. Eleanor survived despite the rough landing. Halicki was injured in both incidents.

Remember the light pole scene in the movie?
    Wasn't part of the script!

3. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Pierce-Arrow manufactured trucks for the war effort in World War I. Prior to the USA entering the war in 1917 the trucks were simply the engine and chassis. All armament was added by Vickers and other companies once the Pierce-Arrow trucks arrived in Britain. This was because America was a neutral nation and could not supply arms as a neutral nation. This photo depicts a Pierce-Arrow truck with armament added in Britain used by the British in World War One.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FDR in a Pierce-Arrow, 1936
    [​IMG]
    President Coolidge in a Pierce-Arrow

4. 4everblue

4everblue

[​IMG]

Not the standard chase scene but far and away my favorite, Duel with Dennis Weaver.

5. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    on Nov. 9, 1962, the Ford Rotunda - a beloved landmark that drew visitors from all over metro Detroit - caught on fire and burned to the ground. It was designed by Albert Kahn, for the 1933 Chicago World's Fair and was moved to Dearborn after the fair's conclusion.
    [​IMG]

6. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    The Hollywood Theatre
    4801 W. Fort St., corner of Ferdinand
    Opened Sept. 24, 1927.
    Closed 1958 and torn down in 1963.

[​IMG]
    The Broadway Market at Broadway and Grand River - an indoor produce, meat and deli market that generations of Detroiters remembered for its sawdust-covered floors - is seen April 16, 1967, the morning after demolition began. The work was done at night so as to not interfere with traffic. Within about two weeks, this beautiful Detroit landmark was gone.

7. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    The distinctive architecture of the old General Motors Building emerges from a stack of 2,600 copies of GM's 1959 annual report. The landmark, today known as Cadillac Place, was then the hub of GM's worldwide operation. GM secretary Nancy Crawford, seen here in March 1960, could've made a much larger version, though. GM printed a record 1.47 million copies of the 48-page annual report that year for its 800,000 shareholders throughout the U.S., Canada and 80 countries, plus dealers, suppliers and various other individuals and organizations.

8. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

The Varsity Theatre on Livernois and McNichols ahead of its September 1936 opening. The 1,500-seat theater closed in the late 1960s and became a church before falling to the wrecking ball. Photo from the Detroit News archives.

[​IMG]
    Woodward Ave.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1961 the end of Detroits old City Hall
    [​IMG]

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

'54 Mercury Sun Valley

[​IMG]

Plymouth did a plastic top in '39, though I don't think there was a production version.

[​IMG]

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And the '55 Ford Fairlane "Skyliner" version. Hard to believe that -- even [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]given inflation -- these sold for as little as $2,400!;)[/FONT]

[​IMG]

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

We have found more wild early French coach work that is in a new post up on The Old Motor.

13. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

Just to be a jerk.....I believe this car is a 1960 Ford!

14. noboD

noboD

Cheap joke, huh? I'm from the land where we name towns Bird-In-Hand, Blueball and Intercourse, so what did you expect?

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Thats not a Impala

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

OOPPS! That is a '60 Ford!

17. Here is a link to the definition of "metrosexual" at the good old Urban Dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metrosexual

18. v8nutter

v8nutter

I believe pasties are popular in some of the northern states, because a great many miners from Cornwall settled there and they brought the recipe for the Cornish Pasty with them

19. Elmer Rodger

Elmer Rodger
    from San Diego

my mistake, I guess I should have taken a better look before opening my yapper, having never actually seeing the car and assuming that is what I think it should have been. thanks guys for the edjumacation :)

20. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

When I first saw this picture, I was reminded of the Varsity drive-in here in Atlanta (this picture is from 1953, but it still looks much the same).

[​IMG]

21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few "OLDIES" from family album.:):)

Attached Files:

kbgreen likes this.
  22. pipopak

pipopak
    BANNED
    from florida

Here is a bit more info about it:
    http://theoldmotor.com/?p=17461
    courtesy of Bernd from Free Rails

23. GSX-PKV

GSX-PKV

This picture is taken at the corner of Rush Street and Chestnut in Chicago. That's Loyola University's old building in the background and Quigley seminary right across the street. I went to Loyola there in '66.

24. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Ha Ha! IMHO, that era of LeMans was not as cool as a '68 Mustang and typically was not a car sought out for its high performance. Shudder to think an American film would feature an air-cooled VW as a detective's ride! Apples and oranges. Though Maxwell Smart drove a Karmen Ghia for at least one season.

25. dad-bud

dad-bud

Oh look, isn't that nice?
    A picnic by the train wreck.
    Well, I guess you don't get one of those every day, so you might as well celebrate it, hey??!!??

26. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

27. noboD

noboD

Back before Sped Channel went 100% NASCAR they used to show car movies either Friday or Saturday night. I remember watching the REAL Gone in 60 Seconds there. Halicki's wife told stories of filming instead of commercials. I think he made the movie for something like $40,000 of his own money and NO one would back him until he made millions. Then they all wanted a piece of it. Gave me respect for the guy following his dream.

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Big THANKS, Tennessee! :) Helps explain why the "glass" top didn't sell as well the second year. Actually, a much classier car and PROBABLY at a steeper price tag!

Not to get OT, but I've always thought the Lincoln-Mercury Division was purposely styled and powered to run cheaper competition against Packard. What puzzles me still is why?:rolleyes:

29. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

My cat knows the difference between and LeMans and the Ventura(same body/chassis as a Nova). It might be good if you knew what car you are talking about.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  30. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

If you haven't visited recently, you should. Esp the lake shore campus in Rogers park. Looks a million years away from then.

-Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.