Register now to get rid of these ads!

Henry Ford Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Tomorrow on the history channel, The Henry Ford Story. Check local listings. I know it's not 100% hot rod related but, considering the first hot rods most of us can remember were fords, it kinda is.

2. FityFive

FityFive

3. Get ready to have this thread deleted. I already started one 3 days ago, and sadly it turned into a Political Showdown and was deleted. Politics are not allowed on the HAMB. The show airs at 8 PM EST on the History Channel.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is this part of the series that had featured Vanderbilt and Rockefeller on the earlier shows? If so it is TV, read some history before and after watching the show. Hope they feature some original Ford factory footage. Bob :)

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Anything about Ford is 100% hotrod related for without Henry Ford there would have been no hotrods.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, my wife has been watching the series.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Anyone who set a Land Speed Record on a frozen lake to impress investors like Henry Ford did IS a Hot Rodder! Bob

8. That's why I started this thread 3 DAYS AGO! unfortunately it turned into a POLITICAL PISSING MATCH, so don't shoot me, I'm just the Piano Player.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry the original post took a left turn and got dumped. For those watching tonights show with kids the 1901 Ford/Winton race was filmed using a 1913 White, and the 1909 ALCO that in fact won the 1909 and 1910 Vanderbilt Cup races. Minor point in TV history, but the use of a car 12 years newer than a 1901 event, bothers me. A 1953 Buick or jet fighter in a remake of the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941 would also make for a poor rewrite of history. Bob http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/b...enry_ford_episode_of_the_history_channels_men#

10. I plan on watching. HRP

11. Fenders

Fenders

If it's a choice between being unable to find proper vintage cars and not filming a recreation at all, or using later stand-ins, it shouldn't bother you too much.....

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Or for that matter a scene with the "boys" riding off to the station to join WWII in the back of an F-1... drives me absolutely batty.

On topic though, I will watch this tonight and have been watching the rest of the series. On of the better things I have seen on T.V. in quite awhile.

13. 500 single

500 single

I'm not sure that's true. Without Henry Ford, just as without WWII; we would not have hot rods as we now know them. I think we would still have hot rods, though. Mainly because hot rodding is about the spirit of competition, innovation, and improvisation. These are qualities that exist within the individual.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm gonna watch it. The previous installments that I watched were pretty damn interesting. Hard to believe so few people had so much power, in those days.

15. Fenders

Fenders

What drives me batty is that they had to use later-born men to stand in for Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Rockefeller, Morgan and Ford. What a farce. If they couldn't get the original people -- or a couple original 1901 cars, or 1942 cars and trucks -- why bother ???!!!

But maybe I will calm down, accept is as a reproduction, give them credit for trying to show us some history, and enjoy it on TV tonight....

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

The problem is revisionist history, and the fact that most people think that something on TV it is true. Bob

17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'd recommend this series to anyone interested in hot rods and/or American History. It's been very interesting. I've been looking forward to the Henry Ford episode a lot. They've covered the industrialists who dominated the steel, oil, gasoline, electricity, and assembly line industries and technology. Would a hot rod be a hot rod without one of those things?

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

amazing stories. what a different world. we are fortunate these industrialists were willing to take such great risks

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I wasn't knocking this show in general, I've loved every episode. But I do have a problem when they have nearly unlimited budgets and miss year eras of vehicles by 5-10 years and say "nobody will notice". I notice! It's all about details.

Same thing I was thinking. It would be very different world with out their contributions and competitions. The life qualities of not only Americans but all people the world over were improved greatly.

20. I suspect we all caught the narrator refer to Model A's but showed T's. HRP

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Actually that was one of the few correct things, the 1903 Ford was a Model A, he reused the model in 1928-31.:)The Selden case was settled on January 10, 1911, but the narrator made it sound like Ford couldn't produce cars until the court case was settled. Meanwhile they were showing footage of 1926 T's being assembled. Lots of fine cars from Long Island collections were driving around. Not a show produced by or for car guys. Bob

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Full of "time slips" but still very watchable and fun. And ya 37, it is my distaste for revisionist history that makes me have a hard time with out of date frame vehcle being used.

23. The time slips are kind of excusable in a way...but what was so glaringly wrong...so ridiculous....at the peak of the Ford/Winton race, the Ford comes from behind to pass and you hear the audio track of something like a hemi Charger rowing thru the gears---waaaaAAAAA--waaaaAAAAA---waaaaAAAAAH!!!!
    Good Lord, gimme a break..:rolleyes:

Good show/series overall--very interesting. Too bad Ford didn't get more exposure. I guess he wasn't controversial enough.:eek:

24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The show seemed to concentrate alot on the fortunes of Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Morgan, and Carnegie. However, they failed to mention that Ford amassed a net worth of nearly $190 Billion (2008 dollars) when he passed away. That is 3X Warren Buffet's current net worth.

Overall it was a decent mini series, but there was some "timing" errors. I wish they would have recreated the Winton race more accurately, a recreation of Ford's land speed record attempt on a frozen lake would have helped as well.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I cringed with the sound effect too. even the Increadible miss Judy said "that not sound right..."! The girl from Hong Kong naild it!

26. birdman42

birdman42

I was pretty disapointed with the show also.I had my son watching it with me and he gave up on it about 15 minutes into it,he is 8 years old though.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I had hoped for much more about Ford. He was not only the "inventor" of the assembly line, he was famous for his vertical integration. After watching the earlier episodes, I fully expected the theme of the Ford episode to focus on his obsession with owning all raw material contributors to the final product...his cars.

I still enjoyed the series, and the last episode.

I would love to have such great opportunity today.

28. Jimv

Jimv

Enjoy it for the history aspect! Geez is nothing sacred?? lol.Next you'll be saying that Yogi didn't say all those things they say he said!!
    JimV