Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wreckerman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Wreckerman

Wreckerman
    from Macon Mo

:confused: Hello to all. I am looking for somepointers from the forum. I have a 46 Chevt 1 1/2 ton wrecker. I am considering putting it on a 85 Chevy One Ton C30 frame. Has anyone had any experience with soething similar to this? My old wrecker has a lot of issues that seem to make it difficult to get on the road. Thx Wreckerman

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Never done this particular one, but the problem with most frame swaps is the tread width not the wb length. It is pretty easy to increase or decrease the wb by some frame cutting, but changing the tread width is a lot more difficult.

I would take a tape measure to someones C30 and compare it to your older truck, that would be the place to start.

Don

3. Wreckerman

Wreckerman
    from Macon Mo

I made a check on my 46, it was 58" center to center of front tires. The C30 is 66" center to center. Hard to find something that is that 58" width with a modern running gear. You can see in the picture in my page that the finders are high cut as well as 20" rims on the old truck. It is hard to picture how something would actually look. It sure could be something UGLY! Thanks!!!!

4. Those 73-87 frames are like a roller coaster,
    And the front cross member can be narrowed with some doing.
    There was a tech on it in the last few months.

Once you narrow the cross member you could probably pinch the frame almost bare handed with the font member out of it.

Rebuilding what you have would be your best option unless its just rotted.

What about those 1 ton chassis under Toyota motor homes and uhauls ?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Is the 66" center of tire to center of tire with dually front wheels or single tire wheels? Dually wheels are usually inset.

You can also add a fender extension to the existing fenders, or split your fenders front to back and add a section of metal between the inner and outed parts of the fenders.

The Big Dodge trucks from 48-53 had fender extensions. See the picture. You might be able to make something like this for your truck. Gene

Attached Files:

7. Wreckerman

Wreckerman
    from Macon Mo

Thanks for the idea, that may just work for me. Roger

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The "dually" style front wheels are deep offset, but that doesn't help on a rear dual equipped truck because the front hub mounting flanges are way outboard compared to a non-dually style. The hub offset cancels the wheel offset. In other words, the centerline of the tire is in about the same place.

Ray

9. Wreckerman

Wreckerman
    from Macon Mo

ok here is a wrench in the works. I spoke in some detail to the fella that i purchased the wrecker from tonight. He told me that my uncle whom he bought the truck from. That it a 53 corvette crate motor purchased from the A.J. Noll Motor company back here in Macon, Mo. I cannot believe that this is correct. By chance is there any way to verify this motor?? Thanks for the help!!! Roger

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, for starters, it would be a 235 engine and have the sheet metal side plate on the right side only coming up to the block deck, whereas a 216 has the tin all the way up the head. Corvette 6 cyl engines were equipped with three sidedraft Carter YF's but you didn't mention that, so I assume they are not what's on it. But if they are present, that's a good sign ! :)

Also, the Corvette 6's have extensive ignition shielding to reduce/eliminate radio interference that otherwise penetrates a non-metal body.

Perhaps the people who really know early Corvettes can offer ID number info as well.

Ray

11. kennkat

kennkat

To swap a frame or not... Hmmm:):):) Well here in the great state of California:rolleyes: I would prefer to keep the stock frame, box it, up date the suspension, etc Because in this state if you change the frame it will now be regged according to the chassis number... Me NO LIke That!!!:mad::mad::mad:

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like you have some property there. in my world there is nothing you can do to this truck to improve on this right here... VVVVVVVV

[​IMG]

I wouldn't touch it. people can always build some sort of HOT ROD or restoration from trucks like this, but only time can make it look this way. I bought a 40's Dodge "1/2 ton" truck in similar shape with the sole purpose of parking it out behind the house by the old fence and take pictures of it. it had been battling it out with Mother Nature and Father Time for a bit too long and it was losing. Very photogenic though.

I

13. Diavolo

Diavolo

I don't have pics and I haven't actually started putting it together (winter project) but I am putting a 55 F600 (2 ton) on a 92 F350 dually frame. Track width is the same. Biggest problem looks like maybe getting the body mounts fabbed up. Given another option, I would have gotten a late 60s frame since they are much straighter but I am working with that I got.

14. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

My brother has a, 42 we set it on a 68 3/4 dually frame and it works pretty good.I don't remember the measurements,it 50 miles from here.I also have a couple friend that are putting several 46 together,1 put his on a 64 chevy pu frame,but he put a camaro clip on it,with a nailhead.They told me those fenders on the one in the pics are military,i don't know.good luck with yours. jack

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

[​IMG]

It's Tow Mater's Dad !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ray