Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Plymouth Clutch Noise Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bmac40Ply, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Bmac40Ply

Bmac40Ply

I have a 40 Plymouth with stock motor/tranny. It just started making a rattling/clanking noise coming from the clutch/tranny area. It makes the noise while driving or when idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out. When idling, if you push the clutch in, it stops. The clutch has very few miles, but was replaced in early 80's before being parked for 25 years. Car still drives and shifts fine, just making a racket. Any ideas of what it may be would help in where to start.

2. Sounds like a throwout bearing to me.

Bob

3. daliant

daliant

I'd say it's the input bearing retainer snout where the throwout bearing rides, the snout probably broke off the retainer causing the whole thing to bounce around on the input shaft when there is no pressure on it.

4. Bmac40Ply

Bmac40Ply

Daliant, if that is the case, what exactly would I need to replace? Would that just be the release bearing and sleeve? Thanks for the ideas.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Is the clutch pedal spring in place? If the bearing is not being held back from the fingers it can rattle. Try hooking your toe under the pedal and lifting it a bit, the noise might go away.

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto what R Pope said.

4TTRUK

7. Bmac40Ply

Bmac40Ply

I checked what R Pope said, and that's not what it is.
    Thanks for the tips.

8. daliant

daliant

If thats what is making the noise you'll either need another Input bearing retainer or have the old one welded back together.