Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ok so updates on the build today, i got my new u bolts in and i had to modify the plates i have for 3" u bolts to fit the 3.25" u bolts. I had to buy a new dremel cuz our 15 year old craftsman dremel took a crap. The new one broke in a half hour. I was pissed. So i went back and returned it and knocked out the plates. I also got a free set of steelies and tires. Im planning on using them for tool stand bases but for now they will serve as rollers for the truck. I had to widen the pattern to 5 on 5.5, again these are just rollers. For the shop

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

39dodge on here hooked me up with the bed crossmember mounts and step hangers. I got one of my fenders from him previously, good dude. One of the rear crossmembers we welded in blocks the mount holes for one of the bed mount crossmembers so ill have to sort that out. Got the 9" inch bolted in, as you can see the u bolts r a bit long, im going with a 2" inch block to bring the back down more. Heres pics of the rear in and one with the bed mounts in place

Attached Files:

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Nother few pics, heres the seat i got from steve on the cheap. Mounts r messed up but im gonna lower the seat down and do custom mounts. Springs r in super good shape. And the ebay dollies i got. Surprisingly good quality for the price i thought. I also have the color for the truck chosen.......

Attached Files:

4. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I have been following along on your build, great work so far!

I am in the same boat as you with how rusty my truck is, I picked up some parts from 39Dodge yesterday. Great guy to deal with!

I am subscribed, so keep on postin those updates!

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I mocked up a 2" block with some box tubing just to see what i was workin with. I think 2 " will be plenty. This is without vehicle wait to so i think 3" wouod be a bit much. Idk.... We will see

Attached Files:

6. I don't know why the dashes on these trucks are always butchered. Mine has a hole in it the size of a shoe box. Aftermarket radios in these dashes just don't look good.

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

x2..... looks like someone took a cleaver to the center of mine. thank god they make the center patch panel :D

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

updates today........ cab was pulled :D happy to see that piece of shit gone. made some progress on cleaning up the frame and ditching un neccesary brackets and things. also i threw in the stock mechanical clutch linkage i got from squirrel, and its lookin like the camaro clip is gonna interfere so im gonna have to figure out a hydraulic clutch and power brake setup on the framerail. i would LOVEE to see some pics of setups guys. any help in that area is greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

forklifted away .........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

heres some pics of the brackets and e brake pieces removed, im gonna have to build mini step notches for the crossmembers to clear the driveshaft. 2'' blocks from jamco should be here tomorrow.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also, after everything happened today i took a deep breath and looked around. i have to say its a huge moral boost to look around and not see rotted, shitty parts anymore. i FINALLY feel like i have a bitchin project goin and im headed in the right direction. i guess its more mental than anything, but seeing FRESH sheetmetal around and a FRESH frame, it just seems like a lot more fun and a lot less hassle now. i really want this thing pretty much done by summer, and im feeling ALOT better about that now

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Those are excellent pictures of the frame. The last guy who had the 59 I have now took the whole frame apart. I wanted to take it all back to stock but had no idea how the e-brake bracket went. Now I do. Thanks. :D

11. sololobo

sololobo

Bad ass truck dude. ~sololobo~

12. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Cant wait to see the stance on this! I think Im gonna run the same set up in the rear.

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

Looks real good Grenade...very similar to my current build. The ass end is nice and low...what are your plans for getting the front way down?

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks guys. As for the front, the clip naturally lowers the front end some, so im thinking a slightly cut coil and drop spindles should do it. Im going for a level stance or maybe even a slighttly lower ass end. I like the normal rake on trucks but i want something a little different. something like this.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Badass dude, would you happen to have a side shot of that ?

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

I didn't opt for the clipped front end, so I'm about as low as I can go without the leaf springs resting on the tie-rod. I could do the drop spindle and get 2" closer to the ground (which would put me about 6" off the deck) but then I'd have to bend the steering arms. Not sure I'll ever clip it...I want to stay as stock as possible, but i do like the stance that an IFS offers.

17. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Like the plans man, she's gonna look sick!! What color?

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah the truck already came with the clip done or i would have kept the straight axle. I was looking at dark reds but i couldnt find what i wanted, untill i saw this coupe at the jalopyrama. Im going with a redish maroon color. And two tone with a white around the back. Heres the coupe i saw that made my mind up. 5windowgal on here owns it. And heres a pic of the two tone scheme. Also i decided on a motor color. Im a huge y block fan and had this pic for the longest time, i love the look of this motor. I think the gold will look great with the maroon and white

Attached Files:

19. yeah ill get ya a couple today..

20. 1959apache

1959apache

looking good dude, keep it up. I am finally going to get back to work on the pickup (going to work on the interior, primarily the dash). Do you have any of the metal radio knobs?

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ill have to look, i dont believe i do though. most of the knobs on mine were plastic modern crap.

alright guys, i have a question here speaking of dashes........... as far as the dash goes, should i keep the gmc or run the chevy, i have the new speedo for the chevy, but on the flip side the chevy dash is a lot rougher and will require quite a bit of work. the gmc dash, obviously is already in the cab, so less work and its incredibly clean. i need a gmc glovebox door and other parts, but the chevy dash needs a lot as well. i can probably sell both chevy speedos and almost complete the gmc dash with that money. idk what to do here. the gmc dash isnt as popular as the chevys and i kinda like that. what do you guys think..........

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Chevy or GMC......... lets take votes... either way i go the entire dash will be gloss black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the chevy speedo has the looks advantage but other than that i think the jimmy looks better. i think the gmc gauge panels will pop really well on a gloss black dash and the passenger side of the dash the gmc has the better looks hands down in my book. also i can put the choke knobs in the center of the gmc dash like the chevy. that may look cool

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

I personally think the Chevy speedo is what makes the dash. I can dig both, but given the choice I'd personally go Chevy. They make a reproduction radio mount dash piece that you can graft / weld in to fix your Chevy dash. Either one will look good, but in my opinion a Chevy truck should wear a Chevy dash.

24. Try the Chevy speedo in the GMC dash. I like the shape of the GMC better.

25. I have always preferred the look of the GMC dash. I think it looks more comprehensive and a little more "hotroddy."

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i really do like the chevy cluster, but all in all the gmc is just a better looking dash in my eyes. and as far as the chevy truck needs a chevy dash............ the truck is actually a 55 with a 58-59 front clip so its technically not even an apache. and it will have a modified jimmy front grille as well. thats why i named this thread baked beans..... its kinda just a bunch of different stuff combined to make something badass lol kinda like baked beans hahaha. but yeah the chevy dash is reallly rough, even though they make the center patch panel its just ALOT more work than the jimmy dash. and thats even before i have to cut and weld it all in the cab.

27. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Glad to see you "weathered the storm" and all is well. I agree that the all white dash scheme would look better. I also like the two-tone dashes, but they tend to darken up the interior quite a bit (I think), but maybe it's just because I am an old timer and my eyes are going south? Either way, I like to see your progress!

28. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I like the look of the GMC dash, except for the industrial looking gauge panel. I think some engine turned aluminum plate would spruce it up! If you could incorporate some on the pass side to make it more symmetrical it would add a little more flavor.

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Agreed, theres a guy on here that makes brand new gauge panels that look bitchin. Im gonna keep the jimmy dash. I need a glove box door and a few other pieces for the gmc dash. Also, if any of you guys want, or know someone who wants a gauge cluster i now have two for sale. Both are in killer shape