Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official English Wheel Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Jun 2, 2011.

1. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Just a question...do the pipe/tubing ones need less bracing as compared to the cut steel ones? ( If that made sence). Welding preformed pipe looks way easier to build.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! No problem! :D:D

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Pipe doesn't resist torsional loads as well as square tubing, and that's pretty important in the design of a wheel. I'm gonna guess that each of those pipe fittings & the pipe as well is atleast schedule 40 and may well have some high nickle contant. Unless you have access to cheap pipe fittings & high alloy pipe & are a good pipe welder, that could wind up being one expensive wheel!

'' Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. iNVisionPrototypes

iNVisionPrototypes

Hi guys!

Here's my wheel. 32" throat, upper adjuster. Classic shape...2 C's fabricated from 1/2" plate with a 4"x1/2"tk spacer rolled around the perimeter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mojo boogie

mojo boogie

Check out this Excel English Wheel . It belongs to Steve Hogue down in Torrance , Ca. ....
    Steve has done some great metal work on some of my cars .

www.stevehogueenterprises.com

Attached Files:

• 067.jpg
      067.jpg
      File size:
      239.9 KB
      Views:
    • 088.jpg
      088.jpg
      File size:
      281.8 KB
      Views:
    • 086.jpg
      086.jpg
      File size:
      224.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There have been some questions about the through shaft on the cast iron e-wheels above. If you look at the photos in the link I posted, a little more than halfway down the photos, you will see a white e-wheel in Wray's shop that has a tipping attachment on the lower yoke.

Anyone can build one of these attachments, as it simply unbolts and Wray can put the upper wheel back on that e-wheel in a couple minutes. It has a small wheel that you turn by hand with a tipping wheel on it. Neat idea, and it works really good.
    Not many of us can afford to buy a cast iron e-wheel, but if you can build a car, you can build an e-wheel frame. Have a look at the white e-wheel in the list of photos.
    There are several pics almost at the bottom of the list of photos. Sorry for the link. I looked on MetalMeet, but I couldn't find any photos of it on there

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Sha...tDomain_0&hash=item588eab48a2#ht_67216wt_1398

8. hasty

hasty

THis thread makes me weak at the knees. I must learn how to use one of these

9. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

Thought I would share this little gem. Cast Aluminum frame, brass tension-er with brass wheel and slide plate. brand name on it is FNDROL I came across an add once that advertised 3 sizes this being the middle size. sold to service stations to take out minor dents. The original paintless dent repair! I have used it and it worked pretty good! ( $10 garage sale score, covered in thick black grease didnt really realize it was aluminium until I got it home and cleaned it)
    and a pic of my wheel that I made. nothing real special but it works great and I use it often. I used Hoosier Pattern wheels. there wheels are spendy but real nice. I absolutly love the old school C shaped cast iron english wheels and would love to try one just to see if there is a difference?

What I could use is a trained partner to wheel out larger panels!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

VERY COOL! :cool:

11. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Any more homemade wheels?

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Here is my homemade attempt.
    [​IMG]

13. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

This is a great thread....

14. dechrome

dechrome

Here is my low dollar wheel. Made from 3/16 in plate with a 4x8 box section. The lower upright is a truck driveshaft with a 2 in spline to stop rotation. Upper wheel is a roller bearing with a 2 1/2 in bore and an offset shaft for a quick release feature. Flanges welded to frame allow various other tools to be mounted.

deChrome

Attached Files:

15. simon g-s

simon g-s

Heres mine, quite small but good for motorcycle fenders and tanks etc. Handles ally no prob but too flexy to do much with steel. OK for what I need but will sell on soon to finance a bigger one now I know ( sort of ) what I'm doing.
    Laser cut 3/16" plate welded up from an ebay kit here in UK a few years ago.

Attached Files:

• 963.JPG
      963.JPG
      File size:
      229.1 KB
      Views:
    • 964.JPG
      964.JPG
      File size:
      228.9 KB
      Views:
  16. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

That's huge!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

17. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Here's mine used all Hoosier patterns parts and a radial arm saw adjuster. 4X4 1/4 tube 36'' deep. Lots of flake and some panel's I painted

Attached Files:

• 100.jpg
      100.jpg
      File size:
      489.6 KB
      Views:
    • 117.JPG
      117.JPG
      File size:
      482.8 KB
      Views:
    • 115.jpg
      115.jpg
      File size:
      390.4 KB
      Views:
  18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Look at this monster!

[​IMG]

19. driverrrr

driverrrr

I post this because I was there I am the younger guy learning from my friend Vince Wright. you can find him on facebook. he did the metal shaping and wheeling on the hard top he designed. thought the video had some pics of him at the english wheel but I will get some pics later. He did an inner and outer door skin. I think he might be superman. he hammered for 8 hours atleast a day with no lunch break for weeks. My name is Sonny and I am new to the site but love cars and metal working. wanted to share. I will share more thanks for viewing. hope the link works.http://youtu.be/IyNzylqpz-c

20. driverrrr

driverrrr

I finally found the pics. here are some projects my friend Vince Wright used this English wheel on. Thanks for looking.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

what is the machine to the left of the wheel in this pic :confused:

[​IMG]

22. driverrrr

driverrrr

it is a mechanical press. you turn the handle on top and it screws the screw down and presses. the coller on the screw allows you to repeat the same depth press. He has some punch dies and a square tube bender he made with three half round mandrels and some other stuff. The ball on the handle is solid steel.

23. dread

dread

came up with this one still a little to do on it hoping she works out well[​IMG]

24. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I think it looks bad ass :cool:

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great thread. Gotta get one. Lippy

26. bruffsup

bruffsup
    from CANADA

some little jobs I picked up at a flea market