Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quiet Glass Packs....Anyone make such an item?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

2. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

You can hear a variety of cars at the website www.portermufflers.com or on You Tube under Porter Mufflers. Good luck with your ride and your decision!

3. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I went with twin 22 inch Imco glass packs on my 1960 Buick Electra and they do sound nice, a very low tone rumble that does not disturb the neighbors or get in the way of my Chuck Berry and Little Richard jams.. I guess a lot depends what engine you have..

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Smithy's are rather quiet....At least the 22" items, behind an 8BA with Max1 cam have been... 2" pipes throughout. "Cherry Bomb" can get rather loud, after some miles are run on them,... But then,..us old guys won't notice that too much.......

Happy Roddin' !!!!!!!! 4TTRUK

5. porters will make you what eva ya want !!!!!!!!! kick ass sound !!!!!

6. Porter,Porter and Porter again.

7. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

CHERRY BOMB offer glass packs up to 30-1/2" long! The longer the glass pack the quieter it will be. Also available at JEGS and SUMMIT.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An old thread that someone dug up but Walker Continentals have a nice low rumble to them if you can find them. I had a pair on my 51 Merc running a 350 Olds and got a lot of compliments on the exhaust notes.

9. A quiet hotrod? I'm confused. You gotta hear at least a little. I have a friend who has a '53 Ford Vicky w/flattie and Smithy's and it sounds good.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

After a lot of correspondence with a sales rep at Porter, and trying to figure out shipping to Canada it became apparent that due to the size and weight of the package that shipping was going to be crazy expensive.

There is no dealer for Porter mufflers in Canada.

I wanted 4 mufflers in the 2.5 inch size.

I was almost resigned to having to use something else.

The Porter rep promised me a free T shirt if I did in fact get the Porters.

Then, my wife was going to see her parents in Van Texas for a couple weeks so a plan was hatched.

I went online and ordered the 4 mufflers from So-Cal speed shop Sacremento on e-bay and had them shipped to Van Texas, they were actually drop shipped right from Porter.

My wife brought them home so now I have my 4 mufflers. I have sold one of the cars they were going on, but I think I'll keep the extra pair for "future consideration" :) since they are hard to come by up here.

They are going to sound really nice behind the hot Y Block in my 26 RPU.

I sent the Porter rep my proof of purchase and reminded him of his free T shirt offer but he never did send me a shirt.

11. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

12. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Quiet glass packs? LMAO.....

Well hell that is a new one..... The only reason why I bought my glass packs when I saw them at a swap meet years ago was because the guy warned me they were off his hot rod and were so worn out they were loud as hell. . . lol

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I just got a Thrush glass pack from O'Reilly's for around $24, and frankly I was pretty surprised at how quiet it is! I was expecting it to be just about as loud as the straight pipe I was running (which got REAL annoying REAL fast...) but to my surprise it is actually quite tolerable. COMPLETELY different than the old Cherry Bombs I have run on my OT cars in the past.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Made my post and sent you a PM too. Seems like being ignored by Porter is getting to be a routine now.

It isn't a big thing, but I initially had trouble getting a response from you guys at Porter to begin with and now this.

Hell a T shirt isn't the end of the world, however just being ignored first by the rep who made the promise and then by you too ?

Oh well I have the mufflers at least :D

15. colinschopshop

colinschopshop

I like them loud!!!!!

16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you also could try mounting another pair closer to the engine, then the pair already on your car would act as "resonators."

17. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Anybody mention original Harley mufflers yet?

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: No, thank god for that.

19. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

running a set of thrush glass packs on my bbc, 25" long, it's fairly quiet idling, similiar to the 40 series flow masters i had. a little bit different sound. but I do like the sound when the secondaries open up. it tends to scare people. seems to flow a little better now, less back pressure i suppose. runs a little better.