Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did we do before the internet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 Hound, Nov 10, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I used to have a "Three Flea Market Rule" If a part didn't sell back in the old days after lugging it to three flea markets it went in the land fill next to the barn out back. When the internet and "That auction site" got rolling a lot of that stuff got dug up and sold with an honest discription of condition. :D Bob

2. You know you're in trouble when you hate the idea of new technology.....but it turns out to be so damn handy.
    Us baby boomers are in a strange situation......we grew up in simple times.....as stated above ..people wrote letters, and waited for catalogues....the pace of life was slower....20c went along way.....
    While we were busy paying off our mortgages and raising families...the technological era arrived and entrenched......I choose to use it but i wouldn't scorn any boomer who chose not to. We don't have many choices left in this almost '1984' world......any oldtimer who doesn't have the time for any newfangled techological ideas is ok in my book. As long as they live,the past lives...when they're gone.............well you will just have to read about it. Treasure your old folks.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Catalogs, magazines, going to races and shows, your bud's tips. And when all else failed, school or... wait for it... the library. Gary

4. I was a serial killer....:cool:

5. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Two cans and some string.......

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

I usually subscribed to about five car magazines, newspaper, and ordered catalogs. Now, I get my news, car info, events schedules,car parts off the internet. The keyboard is a marvelous thing.

7. 3day

3day
    from UK

Yep and it was then anybody's guess how much the sales tax, shipping and duty would end up. One thing that's not changed: it's still feels great when the UPS man arrives with that parcel

8. Pharouh

Pharouh

Before internet? I vaguely recall that..
    Yeah,a lot of magazine subscriptions and catalogs.
    I used to do a lot more artwork before the computer too.
    But my solitaire game has improved...

9. bobscogin

bobscogin

I get more done in the garage working on cars now than I did before the internet. I can find parts, information, and advice instantly. No more delays waiting for catalogs or writing to magazine Tech columns for advice means more productive time in the shop.

Bob

10. lahti35

lahti35

Stayed out of flame wars.... lol

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah,try ordering British motorcycle parts from the UK.Near side,far side,what the hell is wrong with left and right ? :D

Hemmings,phone calls ,more than once because many people didn't have answering machines.
    I like ordering on the Internet and texting about parts for sale.

12. jaxx

jaxx

spent more time working on my cars and less time talking about them - used my mind alot more for building what you could not afford to buy - and had alot less eye strain - jaxx

13. I'm under 30 and I remember those times.....

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Bought Paper backs.... hid them between the matres hahahha

15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I just ran across my old stack of catalogs from pre internet days. Most of the companies I had paper for are now out of buisness. I still like paper catalogs rather than the websites. I can fold pages over to mark things, write in them and generally make better use of them. Suppliers hate me. I still request them.

I haven't looked through one in years now, but I used to have a subscription to Hemmings looking for parts for cars that weren't being reproduced. Now everything is available new. From China.

I used to live in SoCal and went to the Pomona swapmeet most months. I remember getting up early and trying to beat the other guys looking for the killer deals on stuff. I haven't been to a GOOD swap meet in probably 20 years now. I'm guessing Ebay has probably put a hurt on them. I still prefer to make a deal face to face.

Devin

16. We had to think things through for ourselves or find someone local that knew what to do. read a manuel once in a while.

We had friends that had faces and could reach out and touch someone when they called us a bugger head, or not because it really didn't matter they were friends.

17. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I had to walk to school and back, 5 miles uphill both ways.

18. GASSER ME

GASSER ME

wait till the next swapmeet hope what im looking for is there

19. Yea I heard about him in the news.

He killed 2 boxes a day!

20. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

BwaaHaHaHa...:D:D:D
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

22. 59 brook

59 brook

am i the only one that used to get the bargain tradker every week and ch eck the auto ads

23. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I still have my out of date catalogs
    you went to visit your friends because they wouldn't answer the "land line" in the garage
    we made a lot more parts from picture in the catalogs cause them parts were high

24. I used to dream about owning a hot rod purchased from the back pages of HOT ROD magazine.....

Anyone got a time machine I could borrow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. kennkat

kennkat

Growing up in So Cal maybe I'd go to Moon's.... Maybe the La Habra or Compton "Service Center".... There used to be a couple of publications that were important to me (besides Honest Charley"s Catalog & JC Whitney)".. Drag News was national but in the So Cal area we had Guy Bennett's "DRAG SCOOP" and for the local Drag Racing scene it was "the shit"!!:):):)

26. If you saw my belly you would think I kill way more than two boxes a day!:)

27. brad chevy

brad chevy

We had one of a kind hard to find parts and the only catalogs were JC Whitney. Auto and bargain trader didn't exist. Easier to find old cars abandoned and thank God no Barris Jackson,Foose or reality crap. That is why we refer to them as the good old days. And the best thing before the internet was a mans word mean't something.

28. afaulk

afaulk

Yup, we've come a long way since carrier pigeons! I'm sure they still have their place though, particularly if the power is down.

29. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Your avatar caught my eye and I had to look on You Tube, before the internet we would have to order from a record store, ahh, the good old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bSNcQaFgxg

30. edweird

edweird

hello sarah, get me.......yea, aunt bee is fine,yea, opie is fine.............................