Register now to get rid of these ads!

Youngster' work.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by One Finger John, Nov 8, 2012.

1. One Finger John

One Finger John

A couple of weeks ago a craftsman who went by the screen name of Youngster (Ron) passed away. On the site I frequent (Tbucketeers) he was always helpful, always had the right answers (real sign of experience), gave back as far as his T bucket frame plans (and probably more than I know), and again just a really nice guy. I have seen his name here also.

Does anyone have pictures of "Youngsters" work? Pics of completed cars or in process construction? I would like to get a feel for what he was like.

A retrospective of his work, be it furniture making, gunsmithing, or restoring old houses (can't see him as someone into cutting edge electronics) would be really nice.

Thanks for any contributions and RIP Ron.

John

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

he used to stop on a few other boards also , i spoke to him in the ntba chatroom a few times , a decent guy , saddened to hear of his passing , allas i didnt see any of his work ,

3. Beau

Beau

I have chatted with him a bit. He lived just South of us a bit. He's a Minnesota guy.

Very sad to hear this.

4. He used the same screen name here. Search for his posts and you will find some awesome work.
    He gave me some sage advice that was given to him as he came up, "when you think the piece is good, spend another 5 to 10 minutes on it."
    Ron was a great teacher and the best lesson I learned was patience.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ron was one of the most helpful, talented, and kind people I have run into. Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but saw a lot of his posts on various forums. He was always willing to go out of his way to help out someone.

RIP, Ron.

Don

6. mattraff

mattraff

What a bummer, his T frame plans are what convinced me to build my own & got me started down the path of getting my '26 coupe built on it. Wouldn't have started the build otherwise, he was always made himself available with help and advice. Rest in Peace, Ron.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a real bummer to read. His last post was on July 22. I always looked forward to his threads and his posts and comments.

8. i knew Ron and i have to admit he was a very talented guy. i do have some pictures of his work somewhere , i'll try to find them. i did post some pictures here that were taken in his shop a few years ago....i'll try to find that and see if the pictures are still there

last spring me and him went to the metalshapers meet at Dan Pates and we both learned a lot. he was in the process of making an English wheel and Planishing hammer and used my lathe to make a few parts

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow, that's awfull! I talked back and forth a number of times with him here on the board. He always seemed to share the same opinions about "T" bucket construction as I, and we always seconded each others advice in posts. I never got to meet him in person, but am feeling a loss as I type. My thoughts go out to his friends and family...

10. Beau

Beau

11. i found the thread from 2006 where i posted some pictures of his work , but the pictures are all gone. i think i may have some in Photobucket

12. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

That's too bad....
    I too used Ron's plans as a starting point.
    We had sent a few PMs back and forth and he even offered some parts to me.
    I had read that he was sick.
    He seemed like a nice guy.
    Sorry I don't have any pictures, John.
    RIP Youngster

13. One Finger John

One Finger John

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I read about his passing and it's a great loss. He always gave great advice and pointed more than a few guys into the right direction.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Ron came to my last fall metalshaping event at my place and left with such enthusiasm that I thought he would explode .He called me several times after that about equipment and tools he saw at my place that he wanted to build . He showed back up for the spring event and mentioned that he was having some difficulties but was still excited about all the new found metal shaping ideas . I talked to Kappy and he said he had just passed away .Real sad as he had alot of enthusiasm about cars and building them .Wish I had met him years before .

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, what loss. sincere sympathy goes out to his family, and friends. Thanks to those that have posted links to his work.

18. One Finger John

One Finger John

19. Roadsir

Roadsir

I was always impressed with his build style. A real minimalist approach, lightweight, and well thought out.
    Eric

20. titus

titus

RIP Ron.

I talked to him a few times a very nice guy.

Seems we have to change the title under his hamb name to member emeritus

JEFF

21. One Finger John

One Finger John

22. Pinewood

Pinewood

Sad to hear. I knew Ron from several trips to his house because my buddy Jake bought his deuce frame from him to use under his T roadster. He had a very meager tiny little workshop in the basement of his house that he worked in. In a way it was sort of inspirational to see a guy building such cool stuff in such a tiny space. Not only that but after Jake bought the frame from him at a great price, he offered to take Jake's roadster body and do some re-work to make it fit the frame at no additional cost.

Just a stand up guy. Sorry to hear he's gone...

Jake's roadster with the frame that Ron built-
    [​IMG]

23. One Finger John

One Finger John

24. Beau

Beau

His little T roadster sold for practically scrap prices today and an auction. He also had an RPU and a speedster looking thing. Wish I would have known. I was in the same town shooting guns this morning.

Sad.

Hopefully the right people have them now.

Stolen from a Facebook post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Beau

Beau

26. One Finger John

One Finger John

Thank you Beau so very much. I'm speechless right now. In a way sad, but also a tribute to Ron's attitude toward his craft. I will have more to say later.

John

27. Beau

Beau

I just noticed these pics on a fellas "wall" last night before bed. I instantly knew it as his car. I had a hard time falling asleep last night know that I was that close to saving one of his cars.

I'm half tempted to start firing out want ads before the car get murdered.

28. fadt

fadt
    from England

So very sorry at his passing.
    See ya Ron

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Very sorry to hear of his passing.
    Sorry to hear his projects got sold so quick for no money as well.
    That was a real kick for sure.
    Although I didn't know him, his stuff seems to mirror the things I really like in Hot Rodding...which makes his passing hit a little closer to home somehow. :(

RIP Youngster. God speed.