Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Rare? Rochester Cheater Slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BSL409, Nov 10, 2012.

1. BSL409

BSL409

I have a set of Rochester Cheater JTM Slicks they measure 28-1/2 X 8X 14 there on what I can see is 9.00.9.00 X14 4ply Tubeless tire with 1965 GM 14X 6 wheels they are in very nice shape, Are these rare and what would they be worth $
    Thanks
    BSL409

Attached Files:

2. Don't know how rare, but they sure are cool!

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I was wondering if these were made in the 50's or 60's?

I remember other companies that made cheater slicks but for some reason the name Rochester I don't remember.

Maybe they just were not in business for to many years.

Jimbo

4. BSL409

BSL409

The guy I got these from said they were for his 62 Belair so I would say early 60s

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Since you're from Rochester, NY, I'd ask around. Some old time racers or rodders may recall them. It may have been a local tire store that did recaps and decided to tool up for cheaters.
    Possibly a long time speed shop or independent auto parts store?

Your local library should also have old phone books and business directories (microfiche) that may provide a local listing, business address and owner's name.

I Googled it and came up with this "M&H Rochester" set in Australia(?)
    http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/advert/804394-Mamph-Rochester-Cheater-Slicks-for-Sale.html

At any rate, they look to be NOS but I'd be leery running them for anything other than display.

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Could just be the name of the recapper...

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jack Benny's butler?:D

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Your age is showing. ;)

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he hit it pretty close. There was probably a tire store in Rochester with a recap shop that did them. up into the early 70's there were recap shops in almost all towns of any size and guys often drove down in the morning and had their "casings" recapped during the day while they were at work and picked the car up after work with a new set of caps on it. The further north you were in the country the more popular recaps were as they tended to come off at speed in hotter areas like Texas even though they were popular there. When I worked at the Firestone store in Waco, Tx in the early 70's we charged extra if your old tire wasn't recapable rather than extra to haul it to the dump.

I don't think I would want to run those but they would be great to stick on the right car for shows or to display on the wall. They are too cool to risk tearing up by running them.

10. There's 1 in every crowd/ I was gonna do it but ya beat me.

11. BSL409

BSL409

I guess they will look good on 62 Belair 409 :D like the old days