Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wet Sanding Louvers, Rolling Bones method

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straightpipes, Nov 5, 2012.

1. I never put anything on a car that it does not need, if it needs louvers to keep the engine cool or to let air out than it will get them and if it doesn't then it will not.

Sorry fellas I carry form follows function to the extreme.

2. That's why you pinstripe the edges.

3. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

A refrigerator full of beer will ease the pain and help replenish the blood , and they look so DAMN GOOD when your done.

Attached Files:

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

5. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Naw , If ya drink lots of beer while sanding it thickens your blood and it just looks like Ketchup , come to think of it , it tastes like it to

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Never done it, bled enough. A couple of times.
    I accompanied the wife to a beauty supply store and they had buffer pads for ladies nails. Maybe someone "in the know" could go with his chick and recon these out.
    Might even get a coupon for points, ya know, fer later.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I used to know the exact count of louvers on Bugatti GP cars, paint on the outside bare aluminum finish on the underside, lots of great memories sanding those Classics. Bob

8. hotrod51

hotrod51

Wearing cotton jersey gloves helps a lot. You can still get a good feel for whatever sanding you are doing and they wear out, not your skin. And they're cheap.

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

ImageUploadedByTJJ1352513714.152502.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1352513756.895818.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1352513885.517811.jpg

It was a good couple days of hell sanding these. My buddy who did most of the bodywork with me wanted nothing to do with them

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Ya but in the end all the sore finger tips , split skin and blood was worth it wasn't it

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

search on your favorite auction site for finger protectors. they are little latex condoms for your fingertips. they are thicker than latex gloves, and will stand up to fine grit, yet retain some feel. your fingers will still be sore, but at least they won't be bloody.

12. bustingear

bustingear

glue foam thickness of your choice to wood of any shape and wrap the grit of your choice around it. Easy to do.

13. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Interesting read on various techniques. I have a grip load to do on the 30 Pick Up build I'm about to paint. One thought on protecting your fingers (mine are about to the bone) what about those rubber finger tip thingees that you see Secretaries wear when doing paperwork? Seems that they should work enough if they can feel paper you should be able to feel your body work.

14. I didn't know you had a bitchin 34 also.........now I really hate you!:rolleyes::)

15. mj40's

mj40's

My body guy talked me into louvers. His dad had the press and we spent a morning punching them out. I stopped by the day he was sanding just before paint. The look on his face was pain. I just reminded him who's idea it was! :D
    [​IMG]

16. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Man , what happened to you guys ? Always thought spilling a little blood here and there when building a HOT ROD was part of he deal ?

17. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

been punching louvers 38 years, i always sand hood both sides befor i punch, saves first step of sanding after punch, then prime and sand w/scrung pad. sanding primer w/sand paper can leave sand marks if not carful that will show after painting.

18. mynode

mynode

Is there or was there ever a functional reason for louvers in the trunk lid or is this strictly an aesthetic choice to add some interest to the rear of the car?

19. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

they are mostly used to let water into the trunk when washing.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

When i did mine I used a combination of my hand and paper wrapped around a paint stick, It was still a bitch of a job !!!

[​IMG]

21. Did you see what he built that 34 out of? The guy is a miracle worker. Hard work with damn great recipe.

Louvers are quite functional. They let e air out when you are hauling ass.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember bloody finger tips. It's when I didn't do the shit with any measurable frequency. Now I don't think anything less than 40hrs of 80 grit could make em bleed. They hurt, get a bit roughed up, but then I just soak em in sider...

23. BISHOP

BISHOP

haha :D

24. BCR

BCR

Finally someone knows the cure!:D