Register now to get rid of these ads!

What causes engines to diesel/run on when you shut em off?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by "T'RANTULA", Nov 9, 2012.

1. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Ive ran into a couple engines that would diesel/run on when you shut them off and lately my O/t chevy truck started doing this. I was thinking a vaccume leak or timeing issue would cause this. I have done a search and looked through 18 pages of nothing so please dont arrest me search police. On my truck I have changed the heads,dizzy,intake and carb and it wont stop dieseling!! Im about to get a priest to come out and bless it for me to get rid of the demons! I would just like to know what things can cause a motor to diesel. :confused:

2. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone have pictures of demons???... :D
    J/K... ;)

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

check the throttle return spring.

4. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

THAT ISNT EVEN FUNNY!! :eek: :D

5. 500 single

500 single

In my experience, it's usually because the idle speed is set too fast.

6. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Normally its exessive throttle blade angle at idle (curb idle set too high). or return springs like were mentioned.

High compression engines will do it when their hot or very warm. unless a higher octane fuel is used.

7. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

I had a chevelle that would run on whe I put regular gas in it, You might try a premium grade or an octane booster.

8. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Throttle spring is good and stiff, I even got a anti/diesel switch wired up to close the butterflys on the carb when you shut off the truck. It helps some but dosent stop it. I always have to shut it off in gear and it still does it at 600 rpm! :eek:

9. Dillrod

Dillrod

Kill it in gear and 9 times outa 10 it won't do it

10. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335894]Throttle spring is good and stiff, I even got a anti/diesel switch wired up to close the butterflys on the carb when you shut off the truck. It helps some but dosent stop it. I always have to shut it off in gear and it still does it at 600 rpm! :eek:[/QUOTE]

What kinda motor is it.
    Also keep in mind that Timing is dead once you shut the ign off. Its all in the heat & compression, and throttle blade position (lets too much fuel in on its own).
    Carbon deposits will also attribute to this, but alotta hotrid engines are pretty clean...So to say.

My BBC will due it when its "hot" aka has been driving and is heat soaked good. Not overheating mind you.
    at 11.25:1 compression im on the ragged edge when running 91 octane. it will stop diesling if i mix it with 100.
    You could also shut off in gear, i do.

Yea its annoying sometimes, but unless it shuts down with temps in the 180ish range you can bet it will "burp" once or twice.

11. 500 single

500 single

Is the float level too high? Could it be spilling over and getting into the venturi that way?

12. Lots of miles? Maybe there is a bunch of carbon built up in the combustion chambers creating hot spots?

13. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

My timeing is 12 degrees before TDC with the vaccume advance plugged. With the vaccume advance unplugged it wont diesel. With the vaccume advance plugged into manifold vaccume it helps the problem. If that makes any sense, im still a rookie but im learning.

14. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Think of it like this.
    There is a certain amount of fuel left in the intake upon shut-down. when the motors hot, it is gonna do everything in its power to keep running. as engine RPM slows when shutting down, The cylinder pressures will spike and light the remaining fuel, unless its octane rating is high enough to resist it (too much "curb idle" or blades open will allow it to keep feeding for a second or two.)
    As mentioned carbon deposits create "Hotspots" which will trigger the detonation.

15. bad gas or gas that has been cut with diesel or stove oil, I have seen someone gas up a diesel truck then empty the truck back into the gas tank buyer beware

16. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Its just a run of the mill high milage chevy 350. When I changed the heads I did notice a lot of carbon on the pistons. I dont have a temp gauge hooked up but I will do that just to see if heat is a factor!

17. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

If I pull the heads off and clean the carbon off the pistons do you guys think that will stop the dieseling?

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335922]Its just a run of the mill high milage chevy 350. When I changed the heads I did notice a lot of carbon on the pistons. I dont have a temp gauge hooked up but I will do that just to see if heat is a factor![/QUOTE]

Its worth a try. I had a 350 (high milage) in a motor home. It ran fine, but would try to run-on when we shut it down after pulling hills etc. it wouldn't overheat but you could tell it was "Real warm" from ambient temps.
    ever see inside of a motorhome 350, running 87 unleaded? its a bit carbon'd up. your heads could use a clean up, or seafoam treatment at the least.
    Try a higher octane fuel or a bunch of booster too. Bet it helps ;) it will give you an idication of whats going on

It will make you feel silly when you shut down your super cool hotrod in front of people and get a "dummm dumm chaaaaaaaa" outta the carb

19. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335939]If I pull the heads off and clean the carbon off the pistons do you guys think that will stop the dieseling?[/QUOTE]

yup. I think it would
    Good luck!

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Thanks!

21. [QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335939]If I pull the heads off and clean the carbon off the pistons do you guys think that will stop the dieseling?[/QUOTE]

You could try the water down the carb while engine running.
    That removes carbon build up quite well actually.

Recently did a head gasket job, no question which was leaking. Those pistons and chambers looked like new.

22. Deuces

Deuces

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335908]My timeing is 12 degrees before TDC with the vaccume advance plugged. With the vaccume advance unplugged it wont diesel. With the vaccume advance plugged into manifold vaccume it helps the problem. If that makes any sense, im still a rookie but im learning.[/QUOTE]
    !2 degrees BTC is way to high with cheap gas... Try 8 degrees BTC.... ;)

23. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Ill give that a try, thanks deuces! :)

24. Deuces

Deuces

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335987]Ill give that a try, thanks deuces! :)[/QUOTE]
    Not a problem!....;)

25. inline 292

inline 292

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8335908]My timeing is 12 degrees before TDC with the vaccume advance plugged. With the vaccume advance unplugged it wont diesel. With the vaccume advance plugged into manifold vaccume it helps the problem. If that makes any sense, im still a rookie but im learning.[/QUOTE]

More advance means a cooler combustion chamber. Thats exactly what you need, full manifold vacuum when idleing. Soon as you open the throttle, that goes away.

26. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

"ask and ye shall receive!..."

Attached Files:

27. Fenders

Fenders

If you have an electric fan, the back EMF as the fan spins to a stop can supply voltage to the engine even after you shut the key off, unless you have it wired to prevent that (a diode, for example).

28. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I do have an electric fan but I only use it when im towing. I got a switch to turn it off and on but I havent had problems until recently.

29. the shadow

the shadow

the air pressure is low in the drivers side front tire!

gripperrat54 likes this.