Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 chevy score!!!!! just gotta get her home!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, Nov 5, 2012.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thank you buddy

2. BSL409

BSL409

:cool:Hope all works out ,what part of upstate you in

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im in Oswego

4. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh.............thats not the way ebay works. You were the winning bidder, pay the guy. You should have checked out the car before you bid on it. Being the high bidder doesnt entitle you to check the car out after the fact and decide weather you want it or not, that ship has sailed.

5. airbag

airbag

I can give you a heads up on ford truck gas mileage, we hauled an open car trailer it was a steel deck with beaver tail, store bought not homemade with a 2008 ford f150 with 10,000 miles and we got 9 miles to the gallon.This was last year, It was a 4.6 four wheel drive single cab long bed, and all we had on the trailer was a model a coupe body rear end and a few odds and ends. It was almost all highway chicago to st. louis at the speedlimit. Hope your truck is a 5.4 4.6 trucks suck with a trailer

6. Nice car as for the trailer we loaded a 64 on a u-haul and it fit but the door will hit the finder if we had to open it. No room to get in our out.

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

If I buy somthing from you on ebay and you ship it to me and it aint what you desribed. Your getting it right back in the mail and paypal will give me my money back. its a buyer protection. check it out.

8. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Know what im sayen

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I think I would clear that up with the seller first. Normally at a live auction you bid to own, ebay is the same way. That said when I sell a car I give the owner the right to opt out if they want but the deposit is non refundable. I wont buy anything other than a parts car without seeing it first, pictures lie.

10. Fenders

Fenders

True. Ebay protects buyers -- they can bailout, and leave negative feedback.
    On ebay, sellers are screwed. they cannot leave neg FB on a buyer, and paypal says FU to them.

If you are a buyer on ebay you are gold.
    If you are a seller, you suck.

(By the way, I sell a lot on ebay -- and am careful....)

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Yup I hear you there man. I sell alot on ebay too. If the buyer wants to get funny about somthing the seller can really get screwed. Ive been screwed befor. If everyone was honest we would be living in a better world.

12. upspirate

upspirate

I've used a U-Haul trailer twice.....Highly recommend them IF you have enough tow vehicle.

First time was a white knuckle ride though the I-75 mountains pulling a 52 Chev Bel Air behind my 36 Chev P/U......enough motor, but not enough truck weight,plus power steering on a Mustang II front end that wasn't needed.

Last spring I hauled my 32 truck on U-Haul behind my Isuzu Trooper....Perfect tow!!!!

I tow at 60MPH for better mileage and safety,rent round trip for cost savings if possible.

I think your set-up will work fine if the car will fit.....the trailer fender folds down for entry clearance BTW

13. upspirate

upspirate

As to the driving issue, the w/e after I got my 32 home,the fuel pump quit.....I wouldn't have wanted to deal with that at the side of the road.

Unless it's only a few hours home, I will never drive an old modified vehicle unless I have totally gone over it and am confident of it's condition.

Too many variable, wiring, mechanical,etc to gamble on for me.

I've driven my past rods all over the country,but only after I knew what I had

14. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thank you for the advice...... That sounded like one fun trip you were talken about by the way.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wouldn't want to hang by my balls waiting to get my money back from eBay or Paypal. I've read several horror stories from folks who paid for things that were not as they were represented. I don't believe they ever got their money back.
    I saw your 58 on ebay and it looked pretty good. Good luck.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I hauled a '65 Chevy Biscayne on a U-haul. My truck is a '96 Dodge ram 2500. The local U-hauls around here won't rent a car transporter unless the towing vehicle is at least a 3/4 ton model. U-haul trailers are heavy but I hear Rider has aluminum trailers.

17. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

We are not driving the car home!!!!! It would be fun and If I could I would. But its not my car. My girlfreinds father bought the car. He dosent have much time to dick around. He gets out of work friday night. He works out of town. We have to make the ten hour drive there to get the car and ten hours to get back home. He just wants to pick it up with a trailer and be done with it for the week end. So driving it is not an option for me.

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

And besides if he let me drive it I would take an exit off the highway when he wasent looken and bring it to my house and hide it and shut my phone off. lol and tell him I didnt know what he was talken about.

19. raymay

raymay

Nice score on the 58. Your in-laws will love it. I have had a couple over the years. A stock 2dr Belaire and a 2dr Biscayne that I built as a mild 60's custom and sold almost two years ago to a gentleman in Rome NY.
    Depending on the trailer height you should not have a problem using the U-haul. Just watch the clearance with the trailer fenders. You might want to bring some wood blocks in case you have to raise the ramps a bit to change their angle and allow better clearance for anything low like mufflers and pipes. Some extra tie down straps are cheap insurance and always a good idea.
    If you are from Upstate NY it should be a fairly flat drive and I assume it will be on interstate 90. They are calling for nice weather this weekend.
    Take your time, have a safe trip and enjoy the hell out of that 58 once you get it home.

Attached Files:

20. .......... ground hog day.......

21. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thanks buddy.

22. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Al T Take a hike!!!!!

23. stude54

stude54
    from michigan

Heed the advice of the poster that says to check with U-haul about the vehicle you will be towing with. I've used their trailers for several hauls and my tow vehicle is a 2003 HD2500 GMC 4X4 502 big block. They would not let me haul with the Silverado K1500 1/2 ton.

Go to there website and put in the Chebby and tow vehicle and see what they say. I'll bet (sorry) that your tow vehicle will not comply. I've heard that some have had better luck with individual dealers but I've used several and they all needed to have me use the HD2500.

You should consider their insurance also. You are on the hook for the trailer if it breaks down (unlikely) and you leave it and it disappears. Your insurance should cover it but it will be a class A hassle. With their insurance, their problem.

They have great trailers and for that reason I'll continue to use them.

Lastly, if you rent the trailer at home and make a two-way trip out of it, the trailer rental will be substantially less than picking it up where the car resides and towing it one-way. That also guarantees that the trailer will be there and you will not have issues with a distant U-haul dealer about the tow vehicle.

BTW, nice car.

24. I have a Ford Excursion and wanted to rent a U haul Trailer to tow A ford Explorer and they told me I can't do it. Some stores get real picky. I have towed way more than that with my truck

25. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thanks for the advice guys. I did ask if the truck would be ok and they did say it would be fine. But you never know untill you show up and they give you a hard time at the last minute. Thanks for the heads up thoe.

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Again im sorry for blowing up Al t or what ever his name is. I feel bad for being rude to any one.

27. Dauphinee

Dauphinee
    from New York

If this helps I a couple weekends ago I rented one of the uhaul trailers and took a 1936 4 door sedan Pontiac 8 cyl from Upstate NY to Wisconsin and returned with a 1949 f1 Pickup.

Towed it with a 04 3/4 ton chevy full size truck.

Trailer towed very well. Just ck width between the wells. My car was over 19 ft lg.

28. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Nice looking '58. Most def look it over before you put down the cash. I flew on a one-way ticket half way across the country for a '41 Ford street rod ebay win only to walk away. His idea of nice and mine were not the same. Then I turned around and bought a '40 GMC street rod and had it hauled coast to coast sight-unseen. Biggest issue I had with that one was pitted chrome and a wow in the back of the cab. Again His idea of nice and mine were not the same. None the less I enjoyed driving it for several years, then ebay'd it off to the east coast again, sight unseen to another buyer. Tell ya what, the haulers are making the money. ;)

It will fit fine - here's a U-Haul in use last August, more U-haul trailer pics in my Dodge Dart thread linked in my sig.

Take your time on the trip - take extra straps - watch the U-haul loading video before you go:

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  29. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thanks cool wagon by the way

30. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

What's the update on the 58 how was it?