Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody have crate motor suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slownugly, Nov 8, 2012.

1. slownugly

slownugly

Hey guys! I am looking to purchase a crate motor for my project but cant seem to settle on one specific builder. I figured Id post on here and see if anybody had any first hand experience with anyone that they would suggest? Ive been looking at blueprint but have read some bad reviews on them backing their products? any input? Ive also looked into The engine factory, they seem to be pretty legit, everything Ive read about them has been great! But wanted to see if anybody has dealt with them personally?

What are yalls thoughts on GM Performance and any other crate motor dealers? Thanks in advance!

2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Have you considered Jasper? They have a performance shop,I've had good luck with. I may be the only one on this forum to be a fan of their stuff but I don't think there have been any negitive comments about them either. Normal Norman

3. birdman42

birdman42

I have used Jasper engines for years and have had very few problems and the ones I have had they took care of and paid labor with out any problems.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We sold Jasper reman marine engines where I worked and had a fair amount of out of box failures, but they always did stand behind them. I just am not a fan of anyone's reman engines, much prefer GM factory crate motors.

Eagle Engines also had a lot of failures for us, but they were not very good about standing behind them.

Don

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Never used one personally, but have heard many praises of the GM Factory crates.

6. I've had problems with a Jasper engine but never had a problem with GM crate engines. HRP

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If you spend some time searching the HAMB, you will find plenty of horror stories about reman engines from Jasper, Gopher, or whoever. Stuff like different cylinder bores, valve sizes, etc. While I don't have a problem with anyone buying a crate motor from the factories (GM, Ford, Chry.). You might want to find a local trustworthy engine builder. Most builders have extra blocks or cores laying around (especially if you are looking for the ubiquitous SBC) that they would be more than willing to build into whatever configuration you want and for a price comparable to a crate motor. Plus you are supporting your local economy.

Good Luck

8. I have used 3 Blueprint "crate" motors, two Fords and a Chevy. All three of them have been GREAT! No problems of any sort and all are running great. Hell, the Chevy is now in Sweden and the guy loves the way it runs ~ it was a 383 stoker.
    The other two were 347" Fords.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what engine are looking for ? HP/Torque? what is it going in? street use only? what trans and rear plan to use?

10. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I used a Smeding 383 w/efi in my formerly-owned OT truck. Excellent results ... 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, came in with much higher dyno numbers than advertised, nicely detailed, and they seem to receive high marks from various mags. They are in San Antonio, I believe ... was $200 to ship. My experience was it took a couple of weeks to ship, so this leads me to believe they don't have a bunch of engines in inventory. http://www.smedingperformance.com/

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Would be much easier to give a good comment if we knew more than just GM, which was the closest you came to telling us what you were wanting to put it in. Also intended use would help.
    I do agree about not installing the stuff like Jasper and similar in anything but a DD.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like GM crate motors for the warranty. The last engine I bought came from Speedomotive. I looked around for a cheap BBC. The Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) had good prices for an unassembled BBC but Speedomotive beat them price wise and it was assembled. The only problem I had were the valves weren't adjusted. Other than that, the motor ran great. PAW closed a couple of years ago.

13. Yeah, don't use one! Have an engine built to your needs. This way you'll know what you'll have and have full control over the build.

Crate engines are like a box of chocolates...... Ya never know what yer gonna git!

14. hotrod brice

hotrod brice
    from molino,Fl.

Here's my opinion.regardless what make engine you want.talk to your local racers.i.e.dirt/asphalt and drag racers.they will tell you who the good machine shop guys are and most shops self perform engine building.they sometimes have cores and projects left from people who flaked on their bill.good luck!

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have installed a few GM crate mtrs for friends--ran OK but prefer to have them built to my specs by a local builder--seem to run stronger and a better suited for my applications even though they cost more than a crate mtr. Had a friend with a Smeding mtr (383 high horsepower) ran really strong with no issues. No crate mtrs in my own cars. The next 40 needs a mtr and it will be a 327 small journal built locally.

16. ^ ^ ^ This is very good information right here. ^ ^ ^

Guys stiff shops almost on a weekly basis. When a shop gets stiffed usually they are only out their labor and maybe some of the parts. So when a shop gets stiffed they basically just want what they are out. That's when you come along and are able to buy an engine at a bargin basement price. ;)

17. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

got a 350 zz4 gm crate for less than the rebuild of the 383 that was crapping out one piece at a time. Rums great, mor power than the 383

18. Not to rain on your parade but do you know for sure where it was built, what (if any) parts were replaced, where the parts came from and the quality of those parts?

There's usually a logical explanation as to why something is considerably cheaper than the norm.

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

GM sells a LOT of crate engines. A bunch of older rods are powered by the ZZ series of engines ( ZZZ, ZZ1, ZZ2, ZZ3, and the ZZ4 ). I have a ZZ430 in both my 32 Fords. Run great with absolutely no issues.

I have installed a few GM 290 HP 350's also. Good power, decent mileage and you just sit them in and forget about them.

I have built many engines over the years. From 265 SBCs to 482 BBC. A few Fords and a VW or two. The main issue with building a used engine is finding reliable machine shop work. :( I built the 282 ( bored .060 ) for my 40 Ford coupe and I spent way more $$$ than a crate 290 HP 350 would have cost me. :eek: The little 292 SBC ran great ... ( still does so I am told ) ... but the 290 HP 350 wiould have been easier and more cost effective.

If you just want to ride ... buy a 260 HP or a 290 HP Chevy crate engine.

20. take it out of the crate before putting it in car........

21. slownugly

slownugly

Sorry guys, didnt give much information. Im looking for a sbc 350, 383 and its going in a 1947 dodge truck....i know thats completely unheard of...but im stepping outside of the norm! ;) Id love to stuff a nice mopar in it but that stuff aint cheap!? Small blocks are readily available and fairly inexpensive.

As far as my horsepower requirements, I have no idea? To be honest Ive never owned anything that was worth a damn in the horsepower category, so I have no idea what 200 hp compared to 400 hp feels like? I plan to drive this truck a lot, Id like to have good power/torque and reliability. As far as the transmission goes Im looking to run a 5 speed, havent decided on that either? t-5, tko, t-56.....I could use suggestion on that as well :D.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

22. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just installed a G.M. 350 crate engine in 61 Apache truck. $ 1499 delivered to your door,no core charge at all. 260 hp. Runs good,good power and G.M. warranty. Bought 2 jasper engines in the past,one knocked,the other had bad oil rings installed. Will never buy another. If you want reliability,go with the inexpensive crate motor. If you want to throw money away have a shop build you an engine at 2-4 times the cost.Heck,G.M. plant has come up with a new deal now,for extra cash you can go to their plant and actualy build your own engine that is at a goldchainer price though. But all SB Chevy stuff aside go find you a 318 Mopar engine ,not that expensive and throw you an A833 4 speed behind it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  23. Lucky3

Lucky3

Can't beat the GM or Ford crate motors. Brand new ( not reman) and come with a warranty. :D

24. cakes

cakes

I have a gm crate 290 hp 350 in my 57 gmc. I love it, just slap it in and do oil changes.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I gave up on local builders when I always got "Come back tomorrow for a fresh excuse for why your engine isn't done"
    Local builders have crapped in their own nest so many times that they're a joke.
    I'll take a crate engine any day.

26. afaulk

afaulk

Best buy for the money is the GM stock replacement "crate engine" all new parts. 50k warranty. If you want more HP, go with the 330 hp option. If you can afford still more, the ZZ-4 is under rated. It's a real performer but more money. Good luck!

27. 40grit

40grit

One word of caution. When I bought my GM crate motor for my '85 Elky the dealer advised me it would be sold without warranty because it was not being installed in a factory application. (all Caminos were 305’s) That rule does not apply to some of their performance engines but does on the little pre '86 smog replacement engines. Just make sure you educate yourself on the warranty you are getting.

I did buy the engine and it has been great.

John L

28. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The basic GM 350 crate engine is the way to go if you are looking for a dependable ride. Good gas mileage, smooth idle, and decent torque. I put my first one in an older work van years ago. I used the van for everyday work and also to pull my open car trailer. The engine was still running strong at 229,000 miles when I sold the van. My current OT work van has 98,000 on a later style GM 350 crate engine and I am very pleased.

If you go that way, get the GM '55-'85 basic replacement 350 crate engine and you will be glad you did. It is a new engine, not a rebuild. Usually sells for $1499 (or less) at a Chevy dealer parts dept and has a great warranty. It also accepts all the normal add-on accessories for a SBC. You will not be sorry.

29. rockfish

rockfish

I'll add my vote for the GM crate motor. Just drop one in and forget about it. Great value for the money regardless of which performance level you go with. Too many risks nowadays going with local machine shop. There are still good shops around, but they can't compete with the GM motors on price.

30. sheltonk7

sheltonk7

Gm 602 crate motor 350 hp and are very reliable