Register now to get rid of these ads!

why don't anyone rod '46-47 ford pick-ups?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thewishartkid, Jul 21, 2006.

1. hershambob

hershambob

the aussies have a few of them and call them jail bar pickups cos of the grill

2. bradley.w.lusink

bradley.w.lusink

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder! ...aren't we all a little different?

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I am stupid. I posted pics of a 40 and 46 above, and said the cabs were different, then looked under the front fenders this afternoon on my 46. 40 fenders would bolt right on, as someone else said earlier. The 46 fenders are just bolted on over the top, with the indentation for the 40-41 fenders still there.

4. ...pesonally I love em, don't have one rite now but my friend has two 46's and a 47. The 47 had been in storage for 38 years and had a Sears rebuilt flat six engine in it which he's trying to break loose. One 46 is a Nebraska 1/2 ton driver w/ a 53 flathead V8. Cool trucks.

5. Heres a shot of Dana's 47 Mercury panel truck,only made in Canada you say!
    Itsa pretty bitchin dailydriver.
    Very very fuckin rare.....Shiny
    [​IMG]
    Its the only pic I caould find at the moment,I'll look for better ones and put em up later today.

6. KATFISH

KATFISH

If you really want to be different and do something that would have people
    scratching thier heads, put on 41-48 passenger car front sheet metal.

41 would be my choice

7. I'm using a '47 cab for my project...

Attached Files:

8. Bugman

Bugman

This one sits by my parents house. If it ever comes up for sale, i'm going to buy it. I'd leave it exactly like it is. IMO, the stance and look are perfect.

Attached Files:

9. DrJ

DrJ

There's one here in L B the same color as that Purple one cept he ran smallsquare tube grill horizontal across the opening and it made all the difference in the world to the looks of that truck.
    I mean, it actually looks GOOD!:cool:

10. JohnnyAngel

JohnnyAngel
    from Missouri

Ugly is just another word for opportunity....to have something not everyone
    is driving. I think the customizers like the '46-'47's more than the hotrodders
    but then we would have to get into a long discussion on what is a hot rod
    and what is a custom, I shot this Ford about 10 years ago in Missouri, the
    builder did a good chop job, and a tastefully done grill area. Custom? Hot Rod?
    Doesn't matter, its just plain nice.

Johnny Angel

Attached Files:

11. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

These are some real cool pic.I have enjoyed seeing then! At least there not same stuff weve all seen before,THANK YOU

12. Heres a really gooder shot of a 47 Merc truck grill.
    [​IMG]
    Would blow away all yous americans if one of you could get hold of one of these eh.
    I took my 48 Merc pu to Bako a few years ago to the March Meet and everyone thought I built all the trim,krazy eh......Shiny

13. 8769

from kennesaw

"Ugly is just another word for opportunity...."

I just looked in my thesaurus ugly is not listed anywhere under opportunity.

14. I wouldn't spend my money to build something that ugly.

Apparently I'm no the only one that feels this way.

15. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i like it!!!

16. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

I have a small collection of these trucks. They are fairly inexpensive and somewhat easy to find. I am building a 47 that we have chopped three and a half inches and it will be layed out on the running boards thanks to airride. If I was smart enough to figure out how to post a pic of the chop job I would. It came out pretty decent considered we just did it by trial and error. But how are you going to learn unless you just dive right into it.

17. 55olds88

55olds88

Interestingly enough the Jailbar trucks have always been pretty popular down here, I guess we never had much from 39 onwards except what was brought down when you blokes entered the war. I guess beingthe first new trucks in the best part of 10 years they were pretty popular (same with the 46-48 Ford cars) with the locals and I think we had less US stuff after that point.

18. octobeak

octobeak

ugly usually starts with something you're not used to seeing, I think they have a unique art deco kinda look, haha

maybe I'm biased because i drive one

[​IMG]

19. Most Jailbars from 42 to 45 went to the war effort so not many went to the public. Having said that I think the looks suggest rugged and tough, not altogether bad qualities. One mans ugly.............:p
    My avatar is a 42 cab, and I have been lucky enough to own a 47 and a 44 pickup, and a 46 panel.
    Here is the 44......Strong 289/C4/9".......she starred in a TV series here in NZ after I lost her to a bum accountants pathetic fumblings.:mad:

The others were pre digital photography so you'll just have to trust me.:D

[​IMG]

20. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

We did

Attached Files:

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

38s were and by some still considered the ugly ducklin. To each their own.

I like the bullnose hood but the jailbar grill never looked right to me (opinion). Room for a custom treatment.

22. I have a 46 and 47 Ford p/u , you just have to get rid of the front sheet metal and adapt a different grill package.

weld on........

23. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I really like the mercury grill, But the chances of finding one down here are slim.

Attached Files:

24. Agreed, but the chances of finding one with a car grill in Oklahoma are good...

[​IMG]

25. That passenger car grill looks great on the truck,,what was required to pull that off!

I can see passenger fenders were used.HRP

26. A few years ago I bought a cherry 47 out of a museum, drove it, liked it, sold it .......

27. Actually, only the front portion of the car fenders were used and there is an extra bar in the grill compared to what is on a car. The short answer is quite a bit of work. It is Sid Drapal's truck (55 Mercury). He could fill you in on the details.

28. jalopy45

jalopy45

The 42-47's were the result of Edsel Ford being allowed to moderately redesign the trucks engineering and bodies in 1940, thusly the parallel springs, the art deco front end. I think the man was as much of a genius as Henry... ;)

29. ...heres one a buddy just picked up,
    [​IMG]

30. belair

belair

The car grille, like Guthriesmith's is awesome (how about a 47-48 Chevy grille). Otherwise, they are hard to look at.