Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Other Flame Styles: Chunky Flames, Thick Flames, Von Dutch-Style Flames..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasSpeed, Oct 6, 2012.

1. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Period correct and non H.A.M.B. friendly flames. Now there is some funny stuff. :D

2. banginona40

banginona40

This was my ride in High School. My cousin and I did the flames in my Grandmothers garage in Costa Mesa in the mid 60's

Attached Files:

3. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I have to wonder, wouldn't some of those early rodders have done more modern styles IF they had the equipment and skill to do it? I would think so. I get that if you are building a car to represent a period, then you would use the styles from that period. But I don't think that using a style from outside that period would invalidate the concept of a hot rod.

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's another..

Attached Files:

5. desotot

desotot

my chunky flames, my kid hates them, he put ghost flames on his 55 buick.
    [​IMG]

6. 327-365 hp.......thanks for post another shot of the Leland Kolb & Fritz Voigt 32 roadster. Looks like a SCTA Meet at Colton Drag Strip.

7. heres another!

Attached Files:

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

No, it'd just look like a street rod posing as a hot rod.. And we can debate the definition of a "hot rod" all week and never come to an agreement on an universal definition. Everyone has their own definition but to me, traditional hot rods is the only kind of "hot rod" there is. And this is what this forum is all about. Pre-1965 hot rods and customs.

Yeah, if all the hot rodders had today's equipment and skills, we'd be seeing a lot more "hot rods" with MII IFS clips, crate 350s, 20" billet wheels and radials. Thank God they didn't have all that junk back then.

So let's leave the "pseudo-realistic-looking-fire" flame style to another forum and stick to the "different" flames that were done during the '50's..

Pwetty please? :)

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Here it is in color. This may have been the first flame paint job I ever saw.
    I still think it's perfect on that car.

Attached Files:

10. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

LOL.

I get the point of the forum. I was just musing.

I am not sure what it is about a hot rod that moves you. It doesn't really matter, you can like hot rods for any reason you want.

Try not to look too hard at post #111 ... some of those vintage flames are starting to get dangerously realistic.

11. weez

weez

This is a slide I found last week of my Dad's (Jerry Weesner) '40 Deluxe Fordor in 1975. It was his daily from about '73-'76. (also, he was in the Forties Limited at the time) He used to drive me to school in it when I was 6 or 7 years old. He gave it this loose interpretation of the McCoy flames, but with rattle cans.

These are not exactly "other flame styles" but I thought I'd post them. He flamed countless cars in his tenure as graphics guy/striper at Collision Center in Hawaiian Gardens where he worked from '75-'83. Obviously a dropped axle and big n littles were not in the budget at the time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  12. weez

weez

The front-

Attached Files:

13. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

This was my flame job in 1976. I tried to be a little different with the color scheme.

[​IMG]

14. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

bill roell-wade hughes done 15 years ago on my 3 window

Attached Files:

15. My home brew....

[​IMG]

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

When I say "other flames".. I mean "other" flames, as in flame styles aside from the popular style that is used today. Not "ALL flames." They're nice but they're everywhere.

Let's try this again.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  17. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

What exactly is your goal for this thread? Are you looking for inspiration for your build? Trying to codify what styles are traditional and establish a mini-handbook for flames? Just want to talk about flames? You seem to dislike what you are getting, but it's just a little unclear what you ultimately want.

18. ImageUploadedByTJJ1352335200.248677.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1352335212.829503.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1352335224.546895.jpg

Here's our mate flames model a sadly he past away early this year rip buddy but this was driven hard and still will be by his boys

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yeah, I kind of realized that going into it.. Some of the flames on here are exactly what I'm looking for. The earliest forms of flames. Flames that look nothing like today's mainstream style.

Then the others that I'm not looking for are being posted up anyways. I think it's just one of those "if you don't get it, you never will" things. Let's try it this way..

If your flames look like these, then they're not what I'm looking for:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If they're much more similar to these styles, then post them up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

D'oh! Forgot about this one. I found my copy at the Revolution and was like "YES! Something to post up on here.."

21. Nice thread !
    Here is mine, the flame painting is Von Dutch styled, from early 50's !
    Inspired by the Manuel Gonzales' '40 Deluxe in this issue of Car Craft 1956

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  22. Still looking for some pics or infos about this car painted by Von Dutch
    Manuel Gonzales was a "Pharaos cc" member back in the days... ;-)

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's my first and only attempt at flames on my 38 coupe.
    [​IMG]

24. Old Ford Coupe

Old Ford Coupe

`38 ford coupe deluxe.

Attached Files:

25. [​IMG]
    This is the style I have been doing for 30 years.

26. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

my cartoon flames from the 80s
    [​IMG]

27. Now let me preface by saying...."Look, I get it. I totally get it" The early styling of flames is to be respected. The style looks good on very few types of builds and from a tiny slice of the rodding/kustom era. Congrats on starting a thread to get 'em all represented. With that said...IMHO I think they look terrible. To me it looks like a 2nd grader drew their interpretation of flames on your beautiful car. I simply googled "kids drew flames" and I quickly got my answer. Here is a few of the pics that came up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, I respect the early flames, but I would not put them on any car I was building because I would be tired of hearing people bag on the style as amaturish and having to explain the style. I could guarantee if I showed up at the local cruise with my ride painted with early flames I would get laughed at. It's bad enough when I show up somewhere with our Watson painted Olds and I gotta hear the shitty "lowrider" and "Mexican clown car" comments from the Old Farts...Just my .02

28. titus

titus

heres my freind Loiues old shop truck

Attached Files:

• 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      103.5 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      116.7 KB
      Views:
  29. Bull

Bull

Net this is the one you're talking about . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Belongs to HAMBer Ratherman