Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Nitro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm itching to play that video with the sound on. My only computerage is in an academic library, for crying out loud, and this is not going to be easy...
    Maybe I can listen quick, then run out of my office shouting "I think a plane just crashed outside!!"

2. head phones. When I was still working I had head phones, sometimes it was all that kept me awake on 18-20 hour days on a big project.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm. I think the library has about 50 sets of head rigs in lost-and-found... But is this soundtrack going to liquify my brain if I get it that close??

4. :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d!

5. autobilly

autobilly

I love that vid. I got so excited the first time I saw it that I had to show it to my wife; she didn't get it.

6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I seem to recall an artical on Hydrazine in an old car magizine but can't find it right now. I think it was called "The poor mans supercharger". I also recall reading an artical where Chris"The Greek"Karamazines used it to run the first unofficial 200 M.P.H. quarter mile pass. But they stoped useing the stuff because it would auto ignite when it got hot and blew apart the dashboard of a push truck when one of his pit crew members left it in the cab.:eek:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. Badass video! I saw it a year ago on here and saved it in my Youtube. I watch it every so often. Sounds wicked!

8. If you haven't run across this thread on hydrozine, check it out. Lots of cool information from some that were there an used the stuff.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71606&highlight=hydrozine

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

Don Maynard built the "Hydrazingers" for the Greek.

10. edweird

edweird

more nitro audio............. please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. you know the NHRA banned nitro for years because of its dangerous qualities

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was inspiring.

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Burns the eyes pretty good too, if you're standing behind the starting line.

14. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

15. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Bruce, I know that article you speak of was in Drag Racer Magazine somewhere in 2004-2005. I remember reading it- titled "Nitro Carbs" or something, and I saved (and apparently lost) that article. The guy had (I think) 6 Stromberg 97's on a Buick straight 8, and he converted them to run on methanol by drilling all fuel related passages by (I think) 2x greater area, something like 4x greater area for 50% nitro, and 8x greater area for 98% nitro. He came up with those figures by the air/fuel ratio of each fuel in relation to gasoline at max. power rich. In the article, he states he cut apart a 97 with a hacksaw and mapped all internal fuel passages, recording in a table each diameter of each orifice that fuel traveled through. He then calculated each area, then multiplied that area by 2 or 4 or 8, then converted the area back to a diameter so he knew which drill bit to use. They published his table that he used to do all that in the article. I remember reading he did all calculations by hand to 6 significant figures, "consuming a legal pad of notebook paper in a month's time" or something like that. It was a really neat article. He said the only thing he could find for a fuel line with a large enough diameter was a 3/4" garden hose. Apparently the nitro didn't eat the hose, either haha. He also states his stock internals 140 hp Buick was pumping out over 500 hp on nitro turning 6500 rpm, and that he was one of the only people able to self-start the engine on nitro. Bet that sounded pretty wicked! The article also mentioned that later, Edelbrock sold 97 conversion kits for nitro fuel and methanol. I searched Drag Racer's website, but could not find the article, hence the lengthy post. I'd like to read that article again.

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

There is nothing like the sound of flat head on nitro.It's good to be a car guy...

17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I just found that magizine this morning,and the article is called HYDERAZINE this fool's fuel is dynamite. it's in the January 67' issue of CAR CRAFT.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have located the Drag Racer mag with the nitro conversion tables...I'll bring it in and post what I find, but generally Tim with a T has it pretty well summarized. It is the story of an intelligent idependent approach to figuring out a problem and then applying the results, all done with no help and small budget. I wonder if that guy could be tracked down and interviewed on the HAMB...?

19. Great sound! Love it!

20. blackZ

blackZ
    from indiana

I had that artical too, but somehow misplaced it. If anyone has a copy I would be intrested in purchacing it, unfortunatuly I can't remember the date either.
    I modified a holley carb to run on nitro and found the artical helpful in the beginining. I don't know if anyone here has a similar project but it would be intresting to share information if someone has.

21. blackZ

blackZ
    from indiana

22. redroaddog

redroaddog

23. Wow, that thing reved up quickly...

24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I now have the article...will post summary info when I get the time. Bruce

26. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

We would warm up our A/fueler on MEOH. This was always in the driveway (on jack stands). As soon as it went over on nitro (100%) the crowd gathered. Folks up and down the street showed up, generally very quickly! However, when we blocked the return and grabbed the brake, almost everyone vanished! Very very kwel! Oh well...
    The older I get the better I was!

27. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Awesome clip. Reminds me of the first time I smelled nitro. Standing in the wrong place when a funny fired up at the strip in Tulsa many years ago,don't think that I will ever forget that.