Register now to get rid of these ads!

it must be tick season!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Rem

Rem

Damn, I'm sitting here itching and I'm three or four thousand miles away! Don't think we get things that bad here - seem to be more little mosquito-ish bugs these days, but other than pet fleas, nothing like these ticks sound? Is it a seasonal thing for the north east?

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Lyme Disease is nasty & quite prevalent here in the N.E. Junk yards here are good gathering places for regular dog ticks. I had to get a surgeon to extricate two of them from my navel last fall (at two separate times). I've taken to putting a band-aid over my navel before I go into places where there might be a lot. They're hard to brush off, too. Even when they aren't dug in, they have a tendency to flatten out their bodies to the point where they're almost like glued on.

3. Ring around the rosey, pocket full of poesy, aschews aschews all fall down.

Spread by flea bites off the european black rat. don't tell me you don't get anything bad over there. ;)

4. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

He sure could.

Only 50% of lyme infection sites get a "bulls eye" ring. It's smart to go to your Doctor anytime you see a tick has bitten you and get a week's worth of antibiotics which will take care of the lyme disease in an instant, instead of risking it and finding out years later that you have chronic lyme and are on antibiotics for years upon years.

Lyme symptoms can sit dormant in your body for months, or even years after initial reaction symptoms which you could pass off as just not feeling too well for a little while like I did.

Stay safe dudes, and dudettes.

5. belair

belair

We used to be covered up with them. I had an old cowboy friend twenty years ago in the Kerrville area who said when he was a young man, if you stopped your horse under a tree, the falling ticks sonded like rain. But the fire ants pretty much wiped them out here.

6. Rem

Rem

Mmmm, don't know - I'm sure there are dodgy things about, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone discussing pulling ticks off/out themselves. We don't have any native killer spiders, and just one little snake that can give a nasty bite. The usual health warnings this time of year are for 'flu jabs for the vulnerable.

7. The plague nearly killed London at one time as I recall. Hence the nursery ryme. ;)

Ticks are an American anomoly and if you asked the bishop he would probably say that they are because of our rebellion. :D

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

My daughter had her Flemish Giant rabbit sitting in the bed of my hot rod truck.He had a tick on him which we found and removed and then she cleaned Pete's ears which had mites in them.Listerine fixed them in a hurry.They're not as bad as ticks,but bothersome and a pain!
    Be safe fellow hot rodders...

9. We get ticks here in Australia as well, little ones and big ones. My wife had to pull one off the back of my head two weeks ago - It was so big she actually grabbed my head with the tweezers thinking it was the tick!

Just kidding, it was the size of a pea though,...I drowned it in Sambucca and it was easy to pull off!

Who knew Sambucca was good for something other than giving you a hang over!!

10. Rem

Rem

All the old traditional maladies have pretty much gone the way of the DeSoto - plague, scurvey, ricketts :)

11. gicknordon

gicknordon

I got when i was in second grade. The thing that sucks is that once you get it the blood test will always show positive so its hard to tell when you get it again.

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Gett'n a little chilly over that way for those suckers isn't?

13. Deuces

Deuces

Brown recluse(sp) spiders even.... The forman at my last shop got bit by one of those evil bastards...:eek:

14. Deuces

Deuces

...... Or crotch crickets :eek:

15. Deuces

Deuces

..... And we're freezing our asses off...:mad::rolleyes:

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I had crabs once & it ticked the ole lady off.

17. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

lime diseasem is no fun with serious side effects, so be careful and use a good tick repelant. also be sure to check your girlfriend for ticks

18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Are they "traditional" ticks?
    KK

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

No, but it IS traditional to go walking through junkyards and actually look for parts. These things are out there!

20. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have worked in a vets office for 17 years and lyme disease is something that you don't want to mess around with. I just laugh at the people that come in and say "oh no we don't have ticks where we live" Ticks are everywhere. A girl that i worked with years ago was a very active person and a great athlete now there are some days when she can't even get out of bed because it took the doctors so long to diagnose her. Check yourselves over very well after being in the woods and long grass.

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn rem, where the hell ya been hidin, lol yall got about as much deadly things over there as we got here!

22. 5window

5window

I am a veterinarian in Central PA. Our current rate of dogs with infection is 1/3 , it's 1 in 5 near us. If that's the rate in dogs-figure it out for people. For your dogs (not cats):
    1. The deer tick is the carrier,-it's a two year, two host parasite and survives all year round. The tick does have to feed 48-72 hours after attaching to transmit LYME disease.
    2. If you find ticks on you or your dog, use tweezers to remove them. A stressed tick may regurgitate the bacteria and you can get it through cuts in your skin
    3. Recombinant vaccinations, tick collars (not the damn flea collar) and products like Frontline Plus are all good preventatives and should be used year round, but they are not perfect.
    4. Way better testing in dogs than people. I recommend testing every year (Snap 4DX) and a confirming test if positive. I treat any dog positive on the definitive test, symptomatic or not. Doxycycline, and in some cases, Amoxicillin are safe,cheap and effective, but you need to treat for 4 weeks.
    This is a spreading,dangerous disease and ticks brought in by your pet will be happy to have you as a host. It's frequently missed by human physicians. It is the most common disease we treat, by a wide margin. The nymph stage is about the size of a period in this post,you won't likely find it.

If you have more questions about Lyme regarding your pets, please feel free to PM me. Stay safe, as Tarzan said to Jane, "It's a jungle out there".

23. We actually had a case of the plague over hear about a year or so back. They caught it before it spread and never told how it came to be. I am ashamed to say that we still have scurvey and rickets among the poor.

I am not bow legged because of rickets though I am just bow legged. :D

24. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

X2 and all the other Tick diseases....It will change your life with this disease. Beware Hambers

25. 5window

5window

With me, it's just too much weight on top. :)

26. F&J

F&J

I got it from a tick that was there less than 12 hours. I pulled it off, cut the area open with a scalple, and bleached it for 15 minutes, still got it. I knew the timeframe, as I was in the tall weeds at the local scrap place looking at steel I beams for my shop. That's the only place I was outside in that time period.

I've been through treatments, but my legs don't work long enough to do a swap meet now. I doubt there is a cure, so be wary of this outbreak.

It's gets it's name "Lyme" from where it first came ashore in coastal Lyme, Connecticut, with migrating birds that were infected on an island just offshore,...a reputed germ warfare lab. That lab is supposed to have been moved out west, who knows.

27. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

That would be Plum Island. A very real Goverment Lab. I know a guy that went there years ago ( A/C company HVAC ) Had to waer eye protection lab coats. Top Secret.Saw one very weird cow. Creepy place

28. cw1949

cw1949

I had it a few years ago in my late 20's and it kicked the crap out of me. I had every kind of test you could think of and showed nothing. I asked to have a lymes test and they said that there is a false nagative alot of times wich is what happend to me. After another week of not being able to get out of bed I went back in for the same run down and bagged for the antibiotics. Turned out i had it and I feel better now. Since then both my parents and 3yr old daughter at the time and grandmother all have had it and none had any red spots. All have had different symptoms. Now if anyone tells me they feel different or off I tell them to have the test AND DO IT TWICE if needed. Both with me and my daughter I had to demand the tests because the said it was not that common. I hate to be a hyprocondriac but I don't want anyone to go thru what I did.

29. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Usually a good hard frost gets rid of them for us until spring.