Register now to get rid of these ads!

got it running today, only took 33 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boo, Oct 29, 2012.

1. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

bought my 40 ford coupe in 1978, was pea green, my buddies wanted me to tow my flthead dragster w/coupe, but it should be black to match the dgstr...well it had alittle spot on the rear fender and r/pan, so i took off the finder tofix, then was a bad spot on frame, took off running board, heck , might as well take off fr/fenders, dang, body is only a few more bolts,hey look how easy it is to take out motor, trans, rearend. dropped axil would look good too, might as well rebuild the running gear while apart.so rebuilt whole chassis w/dpd axil,dressed flthead, 25t LZ trans, 4.44 gr columbia od rear. wow almost done? NO, slight change, have too many flathead cars, sold the chassis and got another frame a nd got mustang frnt, hipo 302 eng,aod trans, 9'' rear ,par.rear springs, now 1988,too long, loosing intrest. 1998 sold car to a friend, 2009 he wants to sell it back to me , i bought it back and today it finally got the eng running, still needs finishing but it runs. am going to have a friend finnish it for me, not enough mango seasons left for me to finnish it....moonshine festival lst wkeend got me going on finnishing it.

2. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Congrats! Gives me hope. Pics please!

3. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

body is still apart, but the motor runs, has f/ingection, i dont kno about so had friend get rnning. car belonged to david pierson the nascar driver in early 60's, kind of neet. not much to look at yet.

4. swissmike

swissmike

Good to hear, Boo! I know I will see this sooner or later, but now we need PICTURES...

5. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

33 years?

You just made a whole bunch of us feel a whole lot better :D

...try to get that body back on before the earth runs out of oil :p

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

We wanna see pics! Hell, doesn't need to be done, they're never done anyway!

7. williebill

williebill

Good story. Enjoy it.

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Come on boo - give us some updates.
    You can finish it - do it one bolt at a time.
    Cheers.

9. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Hope your getting paid by the hour, that's going to be one hell of a check!

10. Any updates? HRP

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll make you feel better. I took mine apart in 1966 and I am working on getting the body back together now. I hope to have it running this spring and painted this summer. 46 years. Keep on going.

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Check back in October of 2045. :p

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I also got my engine running after 33 years. Started it on my 68 th birthday 10-24-44. It is a 350 and it ran with no problems at all. Like you it was a great feeling of accomplishment, and gave me a big boost up in wanting it on the road.
    I could write a book about all the problems and road blocks that have stood in the way. Tripple XXX Customs here on the HAMB bugged me and helped get it running.
    Not trying to hog your post but there are I am sure lots of us in the same boat.
    Good Luck and the strength to see it thru to all us old guys.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought I was taking too long getting my 37 Chevy p/u running after being apart 24 years.

15. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1, I thought my projects dragged on and on - thanks for the pep talk and CONGRATULATIONS!

16. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Makes me feel good about my first car, bought at 15, i'm now 47, that's only 22 years!! Fair to say though that i've built a few in between, and life has a way of slowing garage time down as you 'mature', but one day!

17. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Got my 36 panel running after 45 years, your way ahead of me! Chris

18. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Congrats...Guess I need to get busy on my son's 40 pickup, its been sitting for 10 yrs now...thanks for the encouragement!

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I thought my 18 year ride to completion took a long time! YES to pics!