Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bagging a 56 Merc.....info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by time-bomb john, Nov 7, 2012.

1. 20 years ago I sold my 56 Merc due to a marital split. 20 years later I found a real nice one to Kustomize and finish this time. I am wodering if anyone has any leads on a good air bag system for these cars. I used Fatman spindles and blocks 20 years ago and I was OK with that then but now I am looking for na uodated air system. I run bags on my roadster and my three window nd really like the ride and the handling. I know I know bags are for groceries....... but after all I do want to drive this car without the bottoming out. I have been a little out of touch on the 50's car suspension but O am right back in it . Any leads would be great. TBJ

Attached Files:

2. Geez John, the last guy I would have expected to run his car on air,ha,ha..Can't wait to see the next masterpiece man!

3. ryno

ryno

Lots of info out there. Do some homework. Everyone has their own opion on this subject. With that said,I've bagged alott of cars. I'd suggest to keep it simple as possiable. 3/8 lines and valves,if desired, 1 good comp,1 5 gallon tank and run 2600 # bags if possible frt and rear. then you have to conceder your link system in the rear.

4. Thanks ryno. I have done some research and the problem is now the manufacturer to use. I know air ride and some new company called accuair? I won't even go near anything to do with The Hoffman group. I have the four bar set up ready to go and the panhard. I was wondering about those Schockwave units for the rear? I know I have to relocate the front schocks as well. When you say #2600 bags again is there one better manufacturer than another?. Great info and thanks for pointing me in the right direction... TBJ

5. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I would suggest Slam Specialties for your bags. I have bagged 4-5 cars and I used to only use Firestone till I tried a set of Slam bags, they are a superior product in my opinion. They dont balloon out as much as firestones do, they lift higher, compress more, and can handle more PSI.

Find a heavy truck supply shop and use DOT air brake line for your lines, and there are good deals to be had on Ebay for electric valves, just make sure your buying a known brand so there is less chance of leaking.

6. Thanks blown that is good info I will look into them. I am still open to ideas about manufacturers for compressors and such. Thanks again.. TBJ

7. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

8. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Get yourself (8) 1/2" valves, 1/2" airline and a couple compressors. Do it right the first time!

9. Dirty54

Dirty54

smc or parker for simple valves . accuair for a manifold digital setup , slam specialties for bags , air zenith or viar for your compressors. airedup.com for all your fittings . might want to think about running dual comps in case one ever dies out on the road and fill times will be much better.

thorbros.com
    bagriders.com
    airedup.com
    avsontheweb.com

10. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

If you run dual compressors make sure you have a charging system or battery that can handle it. OR, you can run an engine driven compressor. They fill super fast, but are ugly under the hood.

11. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Get yourself a 100 or 120 amp alternator you'll be fine.

The Viair 450's usually draw about 35 amps each

12. The 55-56 ford and mercs frames were for the most part just about the same. I suggest not running a 2600 series bag,well maybe in the rear for the front its too big for the spring pockets and will rub and eventually pop. I am running 2500's all around.

Here are a few build threads that will help you:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577560&highlight=1956+mercury

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590986&highlight=1956+mercury

Lastly is my 56 ford thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613377&highlight=1956+ford

Rooks likes this.
  13. Thanks again 56 ford custom I will check it out.

14. No problem. By the way if you want to lay this car out it doesn't take a huge ridiculous notch. Check mine out.

Rooks likes this.
  15. yeah I looked at it and it doesn't need alot.I m not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze considering the work. Anyway I am playing with it. I am thinking of losing the leaf spring in the rear completely and redesigning the whole thing with schockwaves??? It's just an idea at this point. Thanks again for all input.

16. IMHO....They aren't worth it. I go regular bags and a 4-link

17. So regular bags and one main leaf spring? ......Bags....panhard...four bar...schocks. Something like in that order?

18. No, just four link,shocks,bags and that's it

19. Hey john, any decisions yet?

20. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

OP hit me up if you have any questions. I work for an air suspension company and would be more than happy to help you out!