Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for 49-51 Ford owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I was talking to my friend Rene' this morning and he ask me if I knew what replacement springs were available for the front of his 50 coupe,He checked NAPA and they don't list anything that old.

He want's to raise the car up about a inch or two,,,I told him I don't but I'll ask you guys,,,any suggestions.HRP

[​IMG]

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I believe it's a Ford Aerostar spring from the '90s. I've heard guys using them to lower the front ends. I'm not sure about raising it up.

3. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Mac's auto parts maybe.

4. F&J

F&J

There was a thread up top in the last day or so; the (shoebox)car was too low, due to dropped uprights and Jamco springs. He showed new Aerostar coils got his car up more. So, you need to know what has been done, before buying parts IMO

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1

The car in the picture seems to have been severly lowered. I know; I have a stocker.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Aerostar springs lower by 2-2.5".
    Since must guys here want to lower their Shoeboxes, I'd suggest posting an ad that offers a swap for his lower springs. I'd bet he can get a good stock set for free.

7. Raise it?
    How low is it?
    I'm trying to get my 49 on the road - want to lower it more than what we have now. I've used 1" lowering blocks in the front and may do the Aerostar spring swap next...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

9. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

Macs for sure

10. HRP,

Tell him to get Moog CC850 springs. 1986-97 Aerostar. It will drop the car about two inches from stock, ride better and keep the stock geometry on the steering.

Larry

11. Problem is he doesn't want to drop the car,,he want's to raise it some. HRP

12. He's trying to get the car UP not down.

Stock springs are available through Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, maybe Kanter. Like Mike51Merc suggested, most of us are getting rid of the stock springs, so maybe he could trade.

13. Yeah,he picked up a set of Hildebrand wheels and he doesn't want to use rubber band tires but a taller tire on the 15" rims. HRP

14. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

The aerostar coils will probably raise his ride up from where it is now by looking at the picture. My guess is he has a few coils torched off of that car currently. While the aerostar coils typically are referred to as "lowering" springs by 2-2.5" from stock, they will raise this car from where it sits today.

Look at the post a few days ago where the guy switched from JAMCO to the aerostarts to raise his car.

That was the best 80 bucks I ever spent, IMHO.

15. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

maybe the aerostar springs would be ok ,possible that they cut the stock ones or heated them till they collapsed, car does look really low, like one of the guys sais we need more info, amazon is the cheapest for the aeroatar springs

16. tiquer

tiquer

Thats right guys he did say 2" down from stock:rolleyes:

17. What we know is what I have told you guys,,Rene' saw this car at the LA Roadster show and tried to buy it but he and the owner couldn't come together on the price.

The owner call Rene' a few months ago and offered the car for less than he was asking at the show,,,Rene' bought it and Racinman (Rick) went to Arizona and picked it up.

The car build is a mystery. HRP

18. ECallen

ECallen
    from Rolla MO

Stock height springs Shoe Box Ford

19. apba12m

apba12m

Eaton spring in detroit will know just what you need!! And can supply them.

20. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I used Eaton several several years ago.. I was happy with what was delivered