Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil Bath Air Filter Cleaning Tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RouteVanJoe, Nov 6, 2012.

1. RouteVanJoe

RouteVanJoe

Converting from the oil bath to a disposable paper filter would seem nice but it would require some irreversible modifications, which I'm not in favor of. I've changed the oil in the oil bath filter before, but have never really given the filter mesh a proper cleaning with kerosene, as recommended. I need to do the same for my 2 breather valves, which also stipulate cleaning with kerosene.

Any better alternatives to Kerosene?
    If Kerosene, is just a good soak in kerosene good enough?
    Any need for mechanical agitation or brushing?
    Any need for some kind of rinse or air-dry after the kerosene?
    Thoughts on constructive things to do with the leftover kerosene?

I was a little surprised to see not much info online for how to properly clean one of these, even a search of the forum turned up mostly topics on converting to paper. So, for the benefit of humanity and especially myself, anyone have any tips or tricks to share?

Thanks!

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

just hit it with a lot of carb cleaner and call it a day

3. Diavolo

Diavolo

I use kerosene to clean motorcycle chain. By itself it's pretty aggressive at getting things loose. If I were in your shoes, I would soak them overnight and then give them a good shake and hit the places I could get to with a toothbrush. I have a bucket that holds all my kerosene and I use it to get tar off of construction tools. I get tar on a lot of stuff...

4. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

The '57 Chevy Shop Manual says "Wash filter element by slushing up and down in cleaning solvent" and "Dry with an air hose or let stand until dry." No mention of kerosene.

Carb cleaner should work too.

5. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Kerosene is probably a "best reasonable choice" suggestion because most people had some around the house or shop. I use a product called thinner 325 from chevron. It has virtually no odor and does a great job degreasing most anything. I think they meant to use a "lite" solvent that would evaporate readily. :confused:

6. trbomax

trbomax

I always just soaked them for an hour or two in a bucket with diesel or kero,then swished them up and down to circulate the solvent. Pull them out and let them drain for a half hour,blow them out with air ,and good to go. Most of the dirt in one of these gets trapped in the oil,not the mesh anyway. Its more important to clean out the lower housing completely.

7. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

If your mesh is really caked with a sticky mess that is hard to break down, try a siphon sprayer with a water soluable degreaser. I have used simple green for some small breathers on fire equipment. Brake cleaner or carb cleaner will also do a good job if just a small mesh breather. For something as big as an air filter, I would go with the degreasers, followed by lots of air drying, and a good soak in the hot sun to dry it all out.

8. kennkat

kennkat

Correct, I have used this method for over 35 years...:):):)

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can use kerosene, varsol or any suitable solvent. Soak for a while , swish up and down then let drip dry. I don't like to use the air hose, it can make holes or channels in the filter media that let unfiltered dusty air go through.

Pour out the old oil, wipe clean with old rags or waste. Refill to the line with 50 motor oil. Pour a little oil on the filter media and you are good to go.

I don't bother cleaning out the base until the oil pan is half full of dirt, this can take years if you drive on paved roads. Just inspect and top up the oil at oil change time.

10. RouteVanJoe

RouteVanJoe

That "hot sun" part could be a little tricky. This is Minnesota, and I won't be seeing that for at least six months... :D