Register now to get rid of these ads!

18 years owned...driven 4 months??? Ugh.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktop Graffiti, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I've had my '39 Chevy sedan for roughly 18 years. I can't believe it myself. It was my Dad and I's first project together. Subframed it, chopped it, dropped a 348 in it and ran it for a couple of months. Just long enough to know I should have rebuilt the 348. Oh well. Tore the motor down but moved during that time and it never went back together.

Got a new garage built and went back working on it. It's had a 307 Olds, 250 straight six, 305 and a 350. It only ran with the 350(which I took out 'cause it was a knocking). I hated the Nova clip(too wide) so I found an S-10 front and tacked it in. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and tore that off for a straight axle(I've had a few straight axle cars and I love 'em!). I had a set of polished slots for the front, a '59 Pontiac rear and a BBC and turbo 400 all ready to go in.

Then money hit. Or lack of money and I sold them all to pay bills, feed the kids etc. Just like everyone else has had to do. So now it sits with no motor, trans, front end or rear axle. Basically it's a body with the rear half of the frame. Garage art. Bad garage art.

I'm just bitching, letting off steam, whatever you'd like to call it. So wherever you are tonight go get in your hot rod/custom and go for a drive. And feel lucky. One day I hope to be you.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not running for only 18 years?... rookie.

3. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Well I guess you still have the opportunity to build a car with what you have. I did drive my car today, freshened up the fuel tank, ran it up above the speed limit a bit. :cool:

4. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

My car has been sitting for 20 years....:D Working on it now tho shooting for next summer...

Attached Files:

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm very close to that.....

6. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

So, are ya having fun? For what it's worth I'd suggest you stop tracking years, and months, and money.

Rules are there ain't no rules.

For some folks the build is the journey, not the destiination. As long as you're enjoying the journey you have won the battle.

7. Took me 29 years to get the wagon back on the road. HRP

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On the good side, operating expenses must be low :D

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I bought my 47 Olds in 81.Restored it and back on road in 87,drove about 600 miles.Got married,blah,blah,blah.Hasnt seen the road since.Needs to be gone through again except interior.Stored inside always. Can I be in the club???

10. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

That sucks my man. Hope all pans out. Had a run of bad luck myself with my car. Had it for two years then droped a big block in and i mustve upset the gods! After the big block voodoo wore off finally get to cruise. Good luck!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

That sucks man! Hope it all pans out. Had a run of bad luck myself.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. rockfish

rockfish

1933 Ford 5w coupe. I was 13 years old in 1978 when my dad and I drove it home from the original owner's farm 150 miles away. Pulled it in the garage at home and pulled the fenders for a respray that it didn't really need. Its been in my garage for the last 10 years. I finally got everything painted and it's now ready to go back together. My mom still reminds my dad that she never even got a ride in the car.

34 years and counting.......

Moral- if you're a procrastinator never take apart a running driving car. Also, don't start multiple projects. Lack of time and money prolongs all of them.

13. Gator

Gator

I'm on the opposite end of that problem (kinda). I swap and trade cars constantly. I envy guys who've had the same car for decades (even if its a neverending project) Seems like I spend every winter in a mad thrash to get whatever project I have at the time roadworthy, then end up trading it for someone else's broken down shit in the spring - then I have nothing for the 'cruising season' and the thrash starts over. I guess I just have ADD when it comes to cars.

I'm hoping my current project - a '55 Chevy post - hangs around for a while...

14. rustang

rustang

Bought the pickup in my avatar when i was 19...32 years ago...took it apart and painted it when I was 20, bought and sold a number of motors for it (that never were installed and sold for cash)....put it up on blocks back in '93 and finally started working on it last year, finally back on the road... Keep at it...

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I drove my hot rod project once, just barely up the street and quickly decided it needed to come apart right away and be totally redone. 10 years ago, made some good progress, but still basically a pile of parts. Kids, work, moved a couple of times, life in general. Some day. You're in a crowded boat.

16. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Got one sittin in the garage now - about 18 years since driving it (sporadically drove it for short distances here and there). A couple years ago, decided I finally needed to stop using drivetrain changes as an excuse to not get the body work finished. I started taking it apart, and it has now sat in pieces instead of at least getting in a quick drive!

17. davidh73750

davidh73750

Some cars get more priority. Had a 69 camaro 16yrs now never drove but my 55 4dr had a year and a half and started. Made a plan and executed it. Now I've drove it 2500 miles in 6mos.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Life happens. I pulled my 27 off the street after driving it for years to freshen it up and between hooking up with a new GF and all that goes with that, it was 11 years before I got back on it. I actually built another car in the middle of those years, and finally started working on it about 4 years ago. It has now been on the road for 2 years and it feels great to have my old friend back again.

From the sounds of what you have done, Randy, you were just going in too many directions instead of honing in on one set plan. You had a bunch of different motors and front ends going into it, but it seems like you finally have decided on the suspension it will have, and that is a great start.

I know you have writing skills, so sit down and make a detailed list of everything it will take to get the car done. Start with "Frame, things to do", then "Front suspension, things to do.", then "Rear suspension, things to do." etc, etc. All of a sudden instead of seeing a huge forest in front of you all you will see is little trees that you need to cut down one by one. You will be amazed how much progress you make if you do it like that.

It also helps to do a build thread because the other members are relentless and will hound you for updates, keeping you moving and posting your progress. :D

Don

19. I've had my 31 A for 27 yrs and am finally getting to build it( kids, divorce,working too many hours ).

Lee

20. sololobo

sololobo

Money is always a key factor, but deciding on a direction and staying with it is a good idea. Seems like you were changing directions as often as I have overdrafts on my checking account, lots! ~sololobo~

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

2nd the rookie

22. S.F.

S.F.

Ive got a 62 Ford rag top that my dad has had since 1978. we are working on it now. The last time I saw it run was 1996

23. I have an OT 67 Barracuda sitting in the corner of my garage that I've owned for 12 years and haven't finished. Sad thing is, I have EVERY SINGLE PART required to finish it, except the time. Every year I tell myself "This is the year!" and every year I spend too much time working on the house, helping friends work on their cars, etc. Someday I'll tell everyone to fuck off for a few months so I can lock myself in my garage and finish the damned thing already. I'll be like Howard Hughes, I'll emerge from the garage looking like a crazed old mountain man with a scraggly beard and eyes red as radishes, exhausted and emaciated, but the car will be done! Then I'll promptly lose the keys.

24. Except for a little ride to a friends cook out about ten years ago, it's been 27 years since the OL 55 has been on the road (legaly).:eek:

25. I constantly change my build-plan and sell off the parts to get other parts and change my mind again..and again.
    Now re-thinking the engine again after selling my running flathead, a 500 caddy, storing my 4 SBCs and a ton of speed parts for them and building a 370 Pontiac engine.
    The car's been at my buddy's body shop, getting worked on 1-2 times a week since 2007..lessee, 2013 is coming up so that's 7 years.

Attached Files:

26. Well I have never owned one for 18 years but I can attest that her lately mine have all just been boarders. Fopr someone that does not sell cars and or parts for a living I have seen a lot of stuff go out the door.

While I have buiild several cars since joining the HAMB I have to say that more than half of them have had to do with the probuilders dropping the ball. if it were not for them i would have zero value in this hobby.

All that said, I only have one way to go, I don't crawfish well so it is forward or bust. :D:D

27. Yeah Rocky,but at least you are making progress. HRP

28. 327Eric

327Eric

I got my Henry J in 1984. It didn'y run then, doesnt run now. Its gone in a stock direction, had a ford v6, a big Pontiac, a small chevy and powerglide none gever ran, I built a 427 Chevy for it, which is now in my 59 El Camino, and somehow got talked into putting 1 413 Chrysler in it, which is how it is now. I had a guy put a traight axle on it, then ripped it out cause it was 1 1/2" out of square, and had the whole front and rear suspension done. Still has the axle, but now it will track straight. Gotta finish the metal work, but I may drive it someday
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/427elcam/DCP_0773.jpg

29. try this makes it no load. I hate load time.

Attached Files:

30. 327Eric

327Eric

Thanks I am hit and miss on getting photos uploaded. Probably cause I keep forgetting how to do it right.