Register now to get rid of these ads!

Checkerboard firewall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topless, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Good point Sawbuck! Checkered board is in the title........... Slipped right in with the checkered flag........... But I've yet to see the black and red combo. Thanks for pointing out the difference.

What would be interesting is to find out how far back it can be traced?

2. BJR

BJR

And a chopped 49 Buick with a 472 cad engine.

3. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Technically a checkerboard is a board of squares alternating in a light and dark color ...doesn't have to be black and red. ;) :D

4. jimbousman

jimbousman

5. So there!

6. Gromit

Gromit

Seriously.. debating whether it should be checkerboard or checkerflag? so long as we all know what you mean.. come on!

7. And all the guy wants to know is how to get less tape lines

8. Never mind the firewall do the whole darned thing!!

[​IMG]

My old '44 USAAF Dodge... A cardboard square a pencil and some head scratching!

9. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

go see your local sign guy that does the laser cut vinyl stickers, get him to cut you a sheet of squares, apply the big sticker the peel off every second one. Damn sight faster and easier than taping, plus all the lines will be square and sharp.

10. Model T1

Model T1

Goodluck on that. No one figured out yet when a 32 Ford became known as a Deuce and my thread got killed. Probably about the same time some bored kid painted his Deuce firewall with black and white checks. Or was that checkerboarded?:confused:

11. A small problem with the peel and stick method. Factory Firewalls are not flat. They have humps, ribs and relief's among other things. Just look close at my first photo before paint. Peel and stick won't give you a strait line over or across any of them. The edges will follow them and look like a Snakes Ass. Getting good clean strait lines takes a lot of work.
    The Wizzard

12. henryj429

henryj429

My method is to pick tape the width of the squares you want. Spray the white base. Then cover the whole surface in rows of tape. Then do the same at 90 degrees to the first layer of tape. Your squares will be clearly marked by the tape edges. Just trace the edges with an Xacto knife and remove every second square. the tape left behind will be 2 layers thick. I did a gas pump this way last winter and it turned out perfect. All the corners were dead on and edges nice and sharp. I did clear coat it afterwards.

13. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Lukey, damn good idea. No, I am not doing checkerboard on my Checker but this would be great for transferring shop project plans and patterns.
    Can't go into a Walmart due to my numerous social phobias but will try another retailer.
    Thanks,
    Dale
    Cleveland Oh

14. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

well i must be doing it wrong.......mine have all come out straight.:mad:

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

There was a thread on this awhile back. Probably goes back to fighter pilots returning home from the war? Nose Art.

Attached Files:

16. How about posting up some photos of all them? I'd like to see how that worked.
    The Wizzard

17. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

will see what pics i can find for ya wizz.

18. I just did a checkerboard stripe on a customer car.
    The odd shapes are a bit of a challenge.
    It has to visually look straight, it isn't necessarily perfect.
    I had to shorten and add to the squares to pull off the look from a bit of distance.
    Those of us that have actually done it know its not as easy as it looks.
    I had a sign shop cut me a grid on mask vinyl, then weeded the checker.
    I saved the weeded squares on a glass door, and used them to make the compound curves look right.
    I put the darker color on the light and cleared, then wet sanded and recleared.
    Came out awesome, customer is ecstatic with the results.

19. white64

white64
    from Maine

Covered the whole firewall vertically with 2 inch blue tape, then applied the horizontal green tape so the the top egde of each green tape was 2 inches apart. Marked the squares to be removed with an "X" then. X-acto cut the top side of green tape and removed the square made by the edge of the blue tape and the cuts guided by the green tape. It does take some time, but the winters are 6 months long up here, so what's a few hours! You can see a few squares already removed in the upper left.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. white64

white64
    from Maine