Register now to get rid of these ads!

coupster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mark197508, Nov 4, 2012.

1. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

i just got this coupster just started takeing it apart to de rat rod it an im in need off some patch panels an im not sure what year an model it is from what i have read i think its a 30 0r 31 sport coupe but some off the 30s an 31 i see have diffren body line around the trunk .. i no nothing about these old fords thanks mark

Attached Files:

2. Deuces

Deuces

It don't look like a rat rod to me....:confused:

3. Roupe

Roupe

What year is on the title?

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Agree. 30/31.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. I got a Brookville catalog and also one from Branton's (Mt. Airy, MD). Branton's is close, so I can drive up and save shipping costs-a lot of their sheet metal stuff is from Brookville.

6. ford9inch

ford9inch

That looks like a four door cowl to me.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

here is mine, 1930 from a sports coupe, compare

Attached Files:

8. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

hemi rodder how long are your doors mine are around 23inchs i think someone cute the doors down too look like a roadster door.but they are still thick at top like yours. you have a really nice car i bet it really scoots with that motor mine just a sbc 350 an it goes pretty good

9. nickk

nickk

I maybe wrong but I feel the same, id like to see the firewall myself, maybe a 29 murray cowl? idk just curious. And four doors share the same front doors as coupes right? correct me if im wrong, just thinking out loud

10. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

firewall has been changed to smooth one

11. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

mark197508, my doors are 27'' long

12. ford9inch

ford9inch

The four door had a different shaped window opening.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I can't see it too well in the pictures, but looking at that cowl I'd guess that you have a '28 '29 cabriolet. They share the same cowl with the Fordor sedan that year that is different than the rest of the Ford line and looks more '30 '31 like.

14. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

i found my frame number today its 21858** i could find the a anywhere but it did end with a star an i good friend stop today an was looking at the cowl he said there is no seam its one piece

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just looking at it in profile I can see that the cowl pinches in a bit narrower than a '30 '31 would. Also the curve of the rear quarter panel is quite a bit different than a '30 '31 as well. The '28 '29 Cab was kinda a foot note in those years because it wasn't a regular "production" body, it came off the same lines as the Fordor which shares the same different cowl than the rest of that year's production. It would have had windshield posts that were attached to the body like a coupe, but it looks like someone cut your off for a roadster type windshield. If it hasn't been cut out, look under the cowl and see if the gas tank is still intact beneath the cowl. It will look like the common '28 '29 if it's still there.

16. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

no tank an we notic it had a rumble seat . i really need to find out what it is for patch panels would you guys now what panel are enterchangeable. ineed all lower panels cowl door qrt panels

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I can dig up and I've spent about an hour doing it it's as advertised. That is a 30/31 sport coupe with the top cut off.

The door hinges are wrong for a 31 slant cowl and the 29 town sedan didn't have the cowl band that the 30/31 did and is quite obvious in the photos.

My guess is that who ever built it cut and slanted the posts a bit for a better look.

18. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

i think you guys are right its a 29 cabriolet i did a search an a member on here has one but he made it into a coupe but the pics of it before the top looks just like mine cowl an window post ... THANKS ALOT im going to do some more research an then look for some patch panels.JimSibley is the members car

19. 29cabby

29cabby

Its tough to say what has been done to this car over the years. 30/31 cabrios had slant windshields. do the doors close flush or doe they over lap the quarter panel? the doors should have special feature lines which run from the windshield post. check my profile i believe i have pictures of the feature lines.

20. mark197508

mark197508
    from ohio

the doors close flush an there is wood behind the door jam an the jam itself nailed to it no spot welds an whats left of the orignal fire wall is bolted to the cowl the doors look like they had wood but you can see where it was replaced with metal but all the flnge where the nails once was . i just need to find out so i can get the right patch panels i have ground all the bondo off the doors and i can see where the door post an i grond bondo out of the widdow post an can see where they cut an slanted it back some

21. 29cabby

29cabby

if they cut the post then its a 29/30. my car is buried right now after throwing everything in the garage for the huricane but I will take some notable measurements for you. I replaced the wheel wells, lower patch panels on the quarter by the door and lower doors.