Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loud Pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by esewino, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Yes they do.

There is a difference though, a harley with straight pipes doesn't sound like ass, well an old harley with straight pipes, block heads have to work at sounding good.

2. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

any harley sounds annoying to me, especially when i'm about to listen to my the best of mozart cd while eating grey poupon on my crackers. :rolleyes:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, look at his avator anyone who posts a little ot rice box in his avatar probalby wouldn't know a good set of pipes if he heard them.

4. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

and people wonder why it is getting harder and harder to run old cars :mad:

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Ever try to rev the motor between gears to make some noise with an automatic? Good luck with that, Benno! ;)

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Loud pipes are for assholes.

Loud doesnt necessarily gain you any horsepower, you may even LOSE it.

Loud pisses off people that make laws against old cars/bike

Loud pisses off cops, who write tickets for petty shit that they would have let go otherwise.

Rethink your plan, stop being an asshole

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd much rather have a car that sounds good rather than loud. guess it's official. I am old.

9. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Last straight pipe I ran was on a beat to shit 63 Mercury Meteor 4 door 200 inch 2 spd auto black with red interior back in 1974, ran flex pipe from the engine to rear bumper so we wouldn't kill ourselves with exhaust fumes due to the rusted out floors and quarter panels, loud as hell, had a 60% grade leading into my little hometown, would haul it down into low at about 50 mph, would catch at about 35 mph or so, a great racket would commence. Good times! Had a lot of fun in that old Merc.

10. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Rap "music" is to music what etch a sketch is to art.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Annoy as many people as possable and broadcast to every cop for blocks that I just got on it and I'm breaking the law yup.

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

HAHA, Mad Skillz yo! how long did that take you?

13. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I have a straight exhaust with no muffler on the 235 in my T-bucket. I like the way it sounds and it's not excessively loud. No issues with the law regarding mufflers but then I live out in the country where the loudest noise comes from the grain dryer at the elevator (over yonder).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  14. Truckedup

Truckedup

I live on a rural road where you can hear a vehicle coming and going even though my place is in the woods 350 foot from the road...
    A loud vehicle with a crisp sounding exhaust gets my attention in a good way.A loud vehicle with a flat sound typical of low power stock engines is just noise pollution.Put a reasonable muffler on it.
    Too many loud "hey look at me" vehicles,citizens get pissed,more laws are passed,more problems.

15. Just off the top of my head. I type slow though.

Neutral is only a click away. :D

Ah'm tryin ta tell ya. :D

16. straight 1 1/2 in. pipe, pull the choke out a little and run her rich.
    Install a cutout and run the straight pipe off your regular exhaust so when you get tired of the noise you can close the cut out

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Search for threads on inline six exhaust, or follow the good advice here. Please don't be that butthead who causes everyone trouble by showing up at the local show with your straight piped turd revving the engine like a fool.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wanted a mid-year Corvette with factory sidepipes. I now have one. Be careful what you wish for; it might come true!:D

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

Michaelangelo produced some pretty nice sketches but rap is still crap and open pipes sound like shit if you don't have some decent compression and ignition lead to back up the noise. Sounds like something Toad would find cool.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just shot coffee outta my nose!:D

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

With a beat 250/auto in a 3500lb early fifties chevy, you have to go WOT for a considerable time before you actually get going fast enough to break any laws...:rolleyes::p

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If cops gave a crap about noise laws, there would be no Harleys on the road.

I see hundreds of open-headered trad rods posted here. Many cars with zoomies too. I dont recall reading anyone admonishing those owners for running open headers or zoomies.

What's going on here? Is this a hotrod site? Just checking. ;):D

Attached Files:

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

sorry buddy but i agree with him. and i dont need no damn hearing aid, yet.lol im a old guy and been around a long time but ive never taken to a six and mostly because of the sound. and ive heard them in all ways.

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

A rice box ? It's German.
    55 Porsche Speedster & it's a six cyl. I just don't like the sound of a six, different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Oh and I also have a blown 48 Chev Custom Aero Cp. like your screen name, I do know what horse power can sound like.

25. outlaw256

outlaw256

ok i gotta say somethin on this. ive had very few pepole ever say anything about the drag pipes on my bikes. that includes cops when i get pulled over. what pisses pepole off is when you have a straight pipes on your bike (only on harleys) and you keep twisting the throttle when you come to a stop. now ive ridin for yrs and yrs and that has always pissed me off. when i come to a stop i will twist it once or twice to clear out the overloaded carbs but i dont just keep dpoing it like i see lots of fellers do!and to be very honest i never like straight pipes on a v8 car either. in most cases you need some back pressure to keep a few more ponies.ive had them and they just dont seem to sound as good as a deep rumble that you get with the glass packs.and i do like to listen to my steppenwolf when im cruzin.born to be wild and magic carpet ride!!!!! cant hear that when the engine is too loud....

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Oh, a Spaetzle box! Sorry, sometimes it's hard to tell furriners apart...

27. There's a big difference between loud and obnoxious.
    Problem is everyone's idea of each is different.

Those guys really think that 4 cyl with a fart can theyre driving sounds good.

That x pipe deal I stumbled on sound amazing without any mufflers.

28. I too am made nausious by the sound of a six cylinder on most occaisions. I do have to part fom my sibling here just a bit, I have heard some sixes that would wind till the cows come home and sounded like a swarm of bees comming down the pike. I do like an engine that sounds like it is on the jagged edge of comming apart and I don't care how many cylinders it has.

That said one is not going to pull that off with a stock wheezer motor and a straight pipe. I think that most of us that are being negative here or sound a little negative are just against loud for the sake being loud. We understand the desire to be obnoxious perhaps because we were a little obnoxious in our youth (OK I was not a little I was a total ass), but we also know from experience the pitfalls of being an obnoxious young person.

29. I had a 93" shovelhead with shot gun pipes, obnoxious doesn't quiet sum it up. Every time I started it, 4 mins later the cops were coming up the street. They went on the wall until I sold it.

My budie had a 59 pan/shovel 74" with long low straight pipes with fish mouth ends and that sounded great !

30. flattie, you have to stop sniffing your buddies nitrous bottles, it's not the same thing as the dentist has