Register now to get rid of these ads!

2013 Grand National Roadster Show ~ "Woodies,Wagons, & Spirit of Aloha"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Nov 6, 2012.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hello everyone,

In just a couple short months we'll be celebrating the 64th annual Grand National Roadster Show - "The Grand Daddy of em all" ! The dates are January 25-27, 2013. As most know, my wife and I not only organize the "Suede Palace" but often times assist with building 9 - which is now known as "the Special Theme" building . And since the world associates the state of California with pretty Girls, the Sun, & Surf this years theme will be titled "Woodies, Wagons, and the Spirit of Aloha" . The plan is to have a great display of Woodies from the 1920's, 30's, & 40's. We'll also have 50's Ford Country Squire's, Buick Century Estate Wagons, Olds Fiesta's, Nomads, Pontiac Safari's, Plymouth Sport Suburban's, Mercury Voyager's, Sedan Deliveries , and much more! Many of the owners will decorate their spaces with vintage Surfboards, sand, towels, Picnic/Camping, and tropical accessories . An authentic Surf band equipped with Fender Bassman Amps & Jaguar guitars will perform inside the building on Thursday & Friday to insure that the air is filled with lots of Reverb! Vendors will be selling an array of Automotive , Surf, and Skateboard accessories . We're currently talking to a few well known Surf & Skate celebs to be a part of this, meet & greet people, and sign autographs.

We not only welcome fully restored show cars but patina'd original Woodies/Wagons as well. If you have a unique / unusual car that you think might fit in please let us know. Also, The theme for the AMBR competition will also be "Aloha" to coincide with this.

We welcome idea's and suggestions !

Feel free to contact me here or check out the website www.rodshows.com

Special thanks to Jim Bouchard (Bouchards Hot Rods) for giving us this idea!

Axle

Attached Files:

2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Maybe you should contact Phil Sauer the one who used to own my merc.He owned Inland Surfshop and Surboards by Phil,Surfboards to the Star's.He supplied boards for all the 60's surf movies,Gidget & the Monkees and many more.He currently has a skateboard line and they still do some boards.
    THE HISTORY BEHIND SURFBOARDS BY PHIL

Phil Sauers grew up in Southern California. His father, Cecil Sauers, graduated from HUNTINGTON BEACH HIGH SCHOOL in 1917 and later worked as a lifeguard in H.B. through the roaring 1920s. Growing up with extreme chronic asthma, Phil spent entire summers with his family camping in both Doheny and San Clemente, just so he could breathe. During that time, P...hil would be taught how to surf by the orginal granddaddy of all California surfers, POP PROCTOR which in turn lead to Phil’s life long love affair with the ocean.

In 1956 Phil would become one of the earliest North Shore big wave riders to explore and ride Sunset Beach. After spending a year exploring the island for other surf spots from Waikiki to Makaha to the North Shore; on October 4th 1957, Phil set sail from the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor in Honolulu to Seattle, WA., with a friend and a wannabe captain on a sailboat known as THE GITANA. Five days into their journey, caught in a massive storm, they got lost and drifted at sea until they washed ashore some 150 kilometers north of Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, some 71 days later.

In 1961 Phil opened the INLAND SURF SHOP on the corner of Firestone & Lakewood Blvd's in Downey, California and started building SURFBOARDS BY PHIL.

In 1963, the movie industry came knocking on Phil’s door. And over the next few years SURFBOARDS BY PHIL would become known as SURFBOARDS TO THE STARS as they were featured, along with his clothing line in almost every ‘beach party’ movie including: RIDE THE WILD SURF, MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, BEACH BLANKET BINGO, HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI, DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE, BEACH BALL, BIKINI BEACH, WILD ON THE BEACH. And on ‘classic TV shows’ including THE MONKEES and GIDGET with Sally Fields, amongst others.

Now 73, in excellent health and residing in Greenwich Village, New York; Phil spends his days lobbying heads-of-state at the UNITED NATIONS on behalf of worldwide fresh water issues via the environmental organization he founded known as the WORLD WATER RESCUE FOUNDATION.

When not actively involved and busy with the issues of surrounding clean water, Phil can be found campaigning with his close friend, the legendary folk singer PETE SEEGER, on their worldwide citizens' initiative to make "Water Not Weapons" a global slogan.

Attached Files:

• Logo.jpg
      Logo.jpg
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. axle

axle
    from Drag City

GREAT recommendation Greg ! Thanks

4. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

Cool! I'll be looking forward to this!
    If anybody can put a fresh twist on the tired old "Beach Theme", it'll be Alex!
    Let me know if I can do anything to help...

5. poorboy

poorboy

sounds like a great idea!

6. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Hopin' to make it out there. Good luck!

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

Awesome! I wish we could have the 56 Buick Wagon there..

8. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

very cool looking forward to the show, always appreciate you and Celestes hard work

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

i am there as i am every year...wouldnt miss it!

10. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Axle, thanks for the credit. I think its a great idea for a theme and I can't wait to see
    it! So Cal car culture includes woodies and surf music. Its a great combo and Alex will make it a room to remember!

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks guys. Just for the record John Buck & Mickey Christiason will be major organizers in this as well. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  12. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Who's the band going to be???

13. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

I'm trying to get my a done for ambr so i ImageUploadedByTJJ1352225111.869697.jpg might have to find a bigger trailer.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

That is a bitchin car sir! I have admired it for years. I would love to
    see it in person.

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

Need to talk Samantha into bringing her Wagon [​IMG]

17. sololobo

sololobo

Hang ten Daddy, great idea, your part of this extravaganza is always my fave!! SWEET ~sololobo~

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great news. Everyone loves a longroof.

19. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Axle..sounds interesting let me know when you get the details worked out....

20. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Talk her into it and dont forget your shine box!

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

NEAT car !

22. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Looking forward to it.

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Kiwi Kev just gave an awesome suggestion . To have a Long Board display inside the building. Great idea!!!! Thanks Kev

24. Also a bevy of fresh faced California blonde girls without tattoo's in vintage swimsuits and cateye sunglasses would be soooooo bitchin'! Just sayin'.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as a warm up for this great event plan on heading to Ventura Nov 17: A Walk On Water Benefit Show.

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

UPDATE: I have fantastic news to share with everyone. As of right now we have almost 70 Woodies from the 1920's - 1940's. The Santa Cruz Woodies club, San Diego Woodies, SoCal Woodies, Santa Barbara Woodies, and Central Valley Woodies are all on board (no pun), and at this time I am looking for those who own the following:

Mid 50's Pontiac Safari, mid 50's Buick Caballero Century Estate wagon, Mid 50's Olds Fiesta,
    60's Ford Country Squire , Sedan Delivery (any year) , a couple Chevy Nomads / Yeomans.

This is going to be the largest indoor display of Woodies & Wagons in the world !

Real Surf music will be played throughout the sound system, a Live Surf band (announced soon) will perform on Thursday evening, and again on Friday afternoon. Surf , Skate, & Hawaiian related items will be for sale & on display !

More coming soon.
    Anyone with cars listed above please PM me. Thanks and have a great weekend, Axle

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  27. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Oh HELL yes!!

Your timing is impeccable brother.... look what I brought to work today after almost 2 months of it being at home.... my latest project :cool:

Attached Files:

28. How about stuff'n the Surfite in a longroof?

[​IMG]

29. You should contact Randy Beck at Safari Surf & Sport in Chatsworth. 818-349-9283. He has a killer collection of longboards, a 41 Woody and a great skateboard and accessories collection.

30. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cowabunga Dudes, this is gonna be groooooovy