Register now to get rid of these ads!

attaching new window channels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Nov 5, 2012.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I'm getting ready to install the new window channels in my 51 chevy. The new channels that I ordered came with some clips that are different from the old ones. As far as I can see, the clips will not work. I contacted the company and they said they included tiny sheet metal screws for use where the clips would not work.

the screws will work perfectly for the fuzzies but I'm not sure about the channels. What has anyone else used when installing the channels?

2. usmile4

usmile4

Is there anyone who can give me some ideas on this?

3. barney rubble

barney rubble

I dont have any answers for you but maybe a picture of your old vs new clips would help some of the Chevy people.

4. When I replaced the fuzzies on my '53, I drilled small holes in the fuzzies and the door where they mount and pop riveted them in. They fit nice and tight and I have had no issue with them scratching the glass. As far as the channel goes, I want to say that I used an adhesive to get them to stay in. I just applied a small amount to the back of the channel, pressed it into place and used a little tape to hold it until I could re-install the glass and roll the window up to hold it snugly in place. Hope this helps.

Tony

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I never did a Chevy, but glass channel on Fords is riveted to the division bar. You have to drill out the old channel, drill new holes in the new channel, and rivet or screw in place.

6. take the correct clips off the old ones.

7. usmile4

usmile4

The old clips are so rusted that the prongs break off.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

Do you NEED to clip them at all? Mine are screwed in place with tiny little screws but a friend of mine has a '50 Chevy with the channels just pushed into place and nothing holding them other than the friction of the force fit.

9. usmile4

usmile4

Where are the screws? I have used the screws in the bottom fuzzies but I was trying to find out what others have done with the "U" channels.

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

'51 Chevy what? Truck? On mine, the "clips" were part of the window runner. The U felt/fuzzy thing slides into the runner and is held in place at the bottoms with the captive clips in the runner. Nothing other than the garnish molding holds the rest of it in place. I hope this helps.

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I used Liquid Nails and it worked great