Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1959 Buick Station Wagon "Cowboy"???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by propwash, Nov 5, 2012.

1. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My good friend Bill in Seattle (a HAMBer) asserts that an acquaintance within his circle of car nuts owns a 59 Buick station wagon that is a special edition denoted as "Cowboy" and part of the accessories included a factory rifle rack or storage container. Is my friend mistaken? Is HIS friend mistaken? I know there was a Caballero in 1957, but he claims "not it".

I know the vast compendium of knowledge within these hallowed walls are my best bet for an answer.

dj

2. Anything was possible as far as dealer options back in the day but I've never heard a of a Buick called Cowboy,,,I think a photo could be produced if it really does exist,,I would sure like to see it. HRP

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds more like someone's hunting rig that may have had a few items added at the dealers when it was sold.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It could have been a 1959 buick "texan"
    [​IMG]

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Doing a quick search over at the AACA forus shows no "cowboy" models but apparently there were a (very) few "Texan" models made from 1959-61 or there abouts. I haven't been able to find any other such stuff though.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

After a little more research, I read that the 59 in the photo was a 1 off show car that was at the 1959 chicago auto show and had enough room in the console for rifles, notice the rifle leaning against it in the photo,also notice the Texan badge on the fender.

7. cjp69

cjp69
    from Kent, WA

dj,

Your friend is right, but it is called a Texan. I am guessing that the acquintance is a Buick Nut by the name of Dean who lives here in WA state. Dean has one that he is doing a frame off restoration on.

8. lrlforfun

lrlforfun

OK Propwash: Try this. It will give you a great look at the 1960 Buick Invicta Custom wagon which was inspired by the auto show Texan model. Mitch

http://www.the1960buick.com/

9. Haven't seen that one before but it wouldn't surprise me.The fifties had a lot of stuff like that.I remember seeing a 1956 Dodge Texan.Tri-color paint job and badges on the front fenders in the shape of the state of Texas.
    Seems to me I recall Plymouth(?) doing a thing with pastel interior colors to try and get females to buy their product.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You learn something new every day- two things, usually, on the HAMB.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dodge... The Le Feme' in '56. Tri tone coral and pink.