Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. 117harv

117harv

It's good to hear someone your age say this, it was a great time to be a kid and life/times were much simpler. Like I said previously, those times are gone but the memories will never be:)

2. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Watching my dad drive his 57 VW, shifting with one hand and scraping the frost off the windshield with the other.

Riding on the fender of a tractor

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

KISS was the devil.

My parents getting rid of all my rock records to save me.

I bought them all again

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. ...When you wore a hat the bill went in the front..
    And you took it off when you came into Mom's house..

The guy that showed up at school with an earring had better know how to fight..

When Pep Boys opened their first store in town, there was a mad rush to buy Portawalls

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just recently, I had one of these "moments" with my 3 yr old daughter. A crow hit one of the switches on a hydro pole on our street and blew the power out. I am standing there with a couple of nieghbours, and the Hydro guy pulls up. I say to my daughter "watch this sweety, he's gonna put on his spurs and belt, and climb up the pole." My nieghbours looked at me like I was nuts. I guess they haven't been doing that for about 20 years now.:(:rolleyes:

6. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

Sonic Booms! I grew up east of Austin, Texas and the planes from Bergstrom AFB would set off sonic booms. They stopped when I was about 10 or11 (I guess too many people complained).

Fishing in the 'tank' with my Grandpa for catfish using beef liver and cornmeal for bait.

"Thrashing' peanuts on the farm.

Tomato fights with my brother and friends when we were picking tomatoes for one of the local farmers.

RC cola with a bag of peanuts dumped into them

"Peddling" watermelons to the grocery stores in Austin with my uncle in the '50 Ford that I now own (this was before I even started school)

My uncles test driving new cars that my other uncles bought.

Getting my boots shined at the barber shop. (Haven't been to a barber in over 20 years as I am now bald!).

Going to Austin with my parents to the wrestling matches (Wahoo McDaniel and others)

Leaving the house early in the morning with my brother and our pellet guns, going to the 'woods' and spending all day just walking around and 'hunting'.

Playing 'Rummy' with my Mom and brother

Growing up on a farm in the '50s and '60s was a great life even though we weren't rich, we had what we needed. I was fortunate to grow up on the farm next to my Grandparent's farm so I got to see all of my relatives a lot while growing up. Had a great family and lots of good role models.

7. JD Miller

JD Miller

I remember as a kid the gas station owner spray the winsheild with that little spray bottle he kept in his front shirt pocket and washing the windshield with a blue paper towel.

I remember working at a Mobil station and the owner taught us how to short stick the oil.
    I remember I could by my own case of mobil oil (card board cans with the metal top and bottom) at the hardware store for 38 cents a quart and sell it during the night shift at the gas station at the mobil station price and make a good profit

I remember fixing flat tires or mounting tires for friends at $2 bucks per tire

I remember the owner of the mobil station I worked at had a ladder in the back storage room and he'd climb up above the ladys room and look through the ceiling vent. Crazy old basturd

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dixie Cups with pictures of movie stars on the inside of the lid.

Licking your finger and eating Cool Aid right out of the package.

Selling pop bottles to the country store owner to buy a dill pickle from the barrell.

Buying reconditioned oil in the glass bottles for 25 cents a quart for the old flathead.

My dad and I taking the 22 rifle out for a little plinking along the railroad tracks.

Working in gas stations and handing out yellow TV stamps and S&H green stamps with the purchase. (Also checking out the girls while cleaning the windshield.)

Pooling our money on Sat. night to buy 3 galllons of gas for a dollar.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I have a utility pole in my back yard and I've seen one guy with the spurs climb to the top... :eek:
    There are some that still do it...

10. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I remember most of that... plus...

always having to jam a book of matches under an 8 track tape so it would play correctly.

Riding in my dad's '67 Lincoln to Florida in 1971 to go to Disney World.

Building Evil Knievel jump ramps and riding Schwinns with 6' tall sissy bars on banana seats over them like we were invincible gods.

LIVING for Saturday morning cartoons.

Running out in the yard to watch hi speed chases... I lived on the Iowa MIssouri line and back then, cops weren't allowed to cross the border. So there were many a '57 chevy 'running for the border' with the Iowa highway patrol in hot pursuit... who soon had to stop, turn around and head back north when the speed offender would get across the line.

Laying in bed at night and listening to the howl of semi truck tires on the highway and wondering where they were going.

Girls with fuzzy sweaters.....

11. Deuces

Deuces

Saturday morning cartoons ain't what they used to be...:(
    The ones they show now are so lame...:rolleyes:

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At first, I thought that 32 bowtie was saying he remembers Noah's Ark! LOL!

thintin is so right...the smells are so much a part of our memories.

falcongeorge...The linemen with spurs...jeez, I haven't thought about that for decades. I remember watching them do that when I was a kid, and thought it was so cool.
    <O:p</O:p
    And so many other fond memories from you guys. Wow.

It's late evening here, and my wife, Sandy just woke up to get ready for a double shift at the nursing home. I brought her coffee and toast in bed, and started telling her about all the memories we're sharing here. She's very aware of the Hamb, and enjoys all the neat stuff you guys post. "I drove my dad's car all the way home in reverse to cover up the miles I had put on it"...LOL! She laughed right out loud at that one. A nice way to wake up. She asked me to thank you guys. She started telling me some stories of her own, too...and told me I could share them with you.

Like when she was still living at home, and working as a nurse at a hospital. Her mom would pick her up from work. The shocks on the old station wagon were totally shot. Sandy could see for blocks and blocks out the 5th story window. She'd watch as her mom would make her way along, bouncing all the way. One time, on the way home, they stopped at an intersection right next to a cop car. Stopped and still bouncing. The cops just laughed.

Or when she was just a little girl in the '50s. Her Grandpa would often take her along to the bar with him. He'd drink beer, and she'd sit on the stool next to him, drinking a soda. On the way home, Gramps would be drunk, and the two of them would be weaving all over the road in his old pickup truck. Sometimes, they'd stop by the police station, 'cause the cops knew Sandy's grandpa so well. Gee...I wonder why?...lol. Gramps finally lost his driver's license, and from then on Sandy and he would have to walk to the bar. She still loves old pickup trucks.

Or how every morning on the way to school, she'd stop at the neighbor's farm, and old Annie would trade some buttered boiled potatoes that she'd made in exchange for Sandy's lunch sandwich. To this day, Sandy luuuuvs cooled boiled potatoes with butter.

Or how as a little girl, she’d make “pies” in old tins that her mother gave her, using dirt, stones, sand on top for “sugar”...and real eggs from the chicken coop…and get in deep trouble for it…lol.

You guys have made us laugh and touched our hearts with all you've shared on this thread. We all miss our childhood, but this little group of ours obviously truly enjoy the old stuff, the old times, and the old memories. Us too. I can't think of a better bunch to share them with.

Thanks so much. - Rick

13. Deuces

Deuces

We all are a great group!!...:):):)

14. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I remember Getting my Ass whipped at school by the principal for doing wrong.....

Praying for 3:30 to roll around So I could get home from school and get out in the shop and help my old man on the hot rod

having spare time

I remember Never missing a swapmeet, Dad would even let me skip out on school on the good ones that started on fridays. Good times man!!!.. Good times!!

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You bet, Deuces...:)

You guys ever here this song? Craig Morgan singing "Almost Home".
    It's a good 'un. Kind of fits this thread.

16. Staying up late to watch Gunsmoke and never being able to watch the Untouchables.

Me 5 my sister 7 walking down town to the movies, Key West was really great back in the 50's and 60's.

Went fishing by myself at sunup returned at sundown and only 5 years old.

Playing Pinochle with Pops and having a Piels Real Draft beer.

The smell of Hoppe's 9 while cleaning my 22, Hoppe's just don't smell the same now.

Mike

17. towithome

towithome
    from oregun

Driving the 2ton from field to field @ age 9.....yes on the street!
    Getting yelled @ to sit on the bed of the pu, not the wheelwell.
    Cutting the willow stick for the punishment of mowing my brothers Tonka toys into the sod.
    Dangling the rope just above my sister's head so she couldn't follow us up the tree.
    Hiding the playboys in the treehouse
    Making hay tunnels leading to cool forts in the hay-barn.
    Smoking cigerettes in those forts.....idiots!
    Blowing up the model cars with M80s
    Using tree bark to cushion my sack when riding my brother's bike....not tall enough to reach the seat, strattled the bar.
    Taping a transistor radio to the bottom of the banana seat.
    Sharing a beer with dad after the hay haulin'
    Ping-pong round robin......concrete floor and wearing socks.
    Hide/Seek on the warm summer nights
    .........to be cont. Same bat channel......

18. Bugguts

Bugguts

I remember talking too much and being naughty in grade school and having wet paper towels stuffed in my mouth and my hands tied behind my back with more paper towels by my teacher. Had to sit in the corner on the naughty chair. Don't think it helped in the long run, I still talk too much, but now I'm the teacher! I'm reminded of this every time I smell wet brown paper towels. Too bad teachers have no power nowadays!

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The Drag strip in Vacaville Caif.

20. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I remember the first time I "didn't" see Two Lane Blacktop. I made the mistake of taking my girlfriend to see it at the drive in. She wanted to play and I wanted to watch the movie. I only saw part of it that night. I kept popping my head up over the front seats and had to go back the next night by myself to watch it. Man, that's pretty lame going to the drive in by yourself.

21. WCD

WCD

AM top 40 rock (K-WOW of Pomona), S&H Green Stamps being issued at the gas station. Radio and TV ads for Lions, OCIR and Irwindale dragsstrips.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

maybe they cant get back there with a bucket truck? I was SO disappointed, when I was a kid, watching linemen climb poles rated pretty high on the "kids cool meter".

23. knotttty

knotttty

such great memories reading this thread....

how about having to get to the bank by 3 pm on Friday...if you wanted any money for the weekend ... many a time speeding to get there.....

Roy

24. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah,something I have done and setting a 25 foot power pole by hand. Digging holes 5 foot deep holes for those fuckers by hand with "spoons"for backyard power distribution systems.Linemen and even some tele communication workers still climb poles when necessary.

25. There are days that that song hits a little closer to home than some of us would like to admit I'm afraid. Sometimes progress just doesn't seem like progress at all.
    There's a 6 lane highway down by the creek. . .

26. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

Bugguts, can you imagine what would happen in todays world if a teacher did that to a kid? The teacher would be the lead story on all of the networks! Yeah the good ol' days when teachers ruled the class, tie kids up and stuffed paper towels in their mouths! That is priceless!

27. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I remember tape over the mouth to cure oral diarrhea, pinning a tail to the tattle tail, sitting in the corner, writing "I will not......." 100 times on the chalk board, paddling in the hallway, rulers to the back of the hand. I don't know of anyone who was scarred for life from it.

28. '65CycloneGasser

'65CycloneGasser

Remember getting pissed when they changed the ink and design of SGT. Rock comics.
    My Murray 3 speed banana bike with the stick shift and racing slick. That and my pellet gun on Saturdays was all i needed.
    Pissin on our floor furnace just to hear it sizzle. Mom never could figure out the smell.
    Shooting out neighbor's sliding glass door with same gun. Mom mega pissed but dad later impressed with the shot.
    Putting mom's tweezers in the outlet and shorting out half the house and seeing a green fireball for hours.
    Sliding down a hill on my knees only to find a hole in both the pants and my knee down to the kneecap. Mom freaked but dad wrapped me up with gauze and electrical tape. 40 years later, still have the scar.
    My garage band in the 70's; cops showed up 'bout half the time.
    Sluggin vodka straight on a dare and woke up in the back of my Camaro in our driveway.
    Dad would always knock on my window to wake me up the next morn.
    My bud moonin a cop out of my Camaro's window. Cop hauled him off.
    Screamin at a bunch of girls cruisin the ave. One of them i dated, married and still have 30 years later. Camaro's all gone.

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

growing up, I remember less people in SoCal. I remember when you could drive 55 mph instead of 10 mph today.

30. Man that song brings back so many good memories in such a bleak n boring time! Thanx guys!