Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. uncle buck

uncle buck

we can't even give it credit for having a straight axle:D

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

saw this one at the Turlock, CA Swap Meet yesterday

Attached Files:

3. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

true when i do that to toyotas it's call a solid axle swap so we'll go with it's a solid axled j? doesn't sound as good

4. alumslot

alumslot

Not letting him for sure LOL. He's not a computer guy next time he comes over he want's to see your car with the parts on it. No history he just bought the J the guy he got it from had it about 20 years and never did anything with it.

Jim

5. You and your big ideas..lol

I kept trying to tilt this thing forward but couldn't see what the heck was going on to stop it from tilting. My back was starting to bother me from leaning forward trying to look so I just made a video of it.
    I thought for sure that 4 1/2 inches of forward movement would be enough to clear, but hell no it won't go ! I'm not a mechanical engineer and I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn either, although I should have. The concept seems sound so we'll give it another shot with longer slots, if that doesn't work back to the drawing board.
    I also shot some primer on the radius to see where I'm at on that too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

you need 6 in of forward slide thats how mine is set up and it's still super tight, did you happen to weigh the car before you went to glass?

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be good for us who live in the Northest. Think of how much more we could drive our cars if we could use them all year long. One for good weather ,one for bad. Check out this Deuce form NH. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bMmGrJwO_E

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you can send Phil some pics of your set up so "he does not have to reinvent the wheel ".

Phil. The rear quarter is looking good. I'm sure you get the tilt frt end squared away. I'd put one on 55 Chevy if I could find a decent fitting glass nose for a decent price.

9. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Straightaxlej: what size rear wheels & tires are you running on your car ?

10. It was right at 2450 with about 9 gallons of fuel

11. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

29.5-10.5-15 on 15x10 mehelichs from the late 70s

12. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

man she was light i'm all of 2800 full of fuel (4gals) with lexan windows you'll be super gas wieght buy the end of this

13. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

oh and baron i'm not sure if you saw my car in the pits at orange with the nose up, my set up is really wild i'm all steel using the stock rad support with rollers in the front frame rails.i'll snap some shots tomorrow if swade wants but they probably won't help

14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

the book the book anaway the book says 1951 to 1953
    4cyl to 6cyl 2293 to 2445...
    its from a 51 52 53 shop manual

15. Show the pictures just incase lol

Mine was 2360 without the hood and a couple gallons of fuel so the 2450 is right in line with that. I'm going to have to reinforce this front end a little too, it's flimsy as you can tell when I reach in to lift the front up.

16. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

ok took some pictures today, i'll get them to you tonight

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Send them my way too if you would please.
    My email is [email protected]

18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i Pm'ed for some pic's too....

:cool:

19. thanks, been thinking of a few different ways to do this during a little down time at work today

20. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

21. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

that didn't go so hot, might try again.. regardless here's the rundown:
    my front rails are 2x4 steel inside of them is a slightly smaller channel that has small rollers made of chrome spacers from the hardware store. riding on top of that and attached to the nose is a duplicate channel with stops that screw down into the frame... as for the hinge a telescopic ladder rack was sacrificed the tightly toleranced tubes worked great for a hinge.

22. That helps to see what the pictures weren't saying, I was thinking of round tube outside my frame rails with smaller tube inside. I was trying to figure out the hinge part, thanks for the insight on how you did yours.

23. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

if you do a tube in tube slide square tube works great.. easier to fab too... i built that car 7 years ago so i forget details but if you have any questions feel free to ask.. my hinge i drilled out the flanges and the inner tube is welded to that then my radiator support is welded to the outer tube

24. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Swade, you should see the simple lightweight set up Dewey made for Frank,s Austin.

25. I got the "C" slide idea from Mikey's Anglia, I've got a new plan, I think it's putting to much stress on my radiator support to hinge it there. Lots to do on this and I find myself jumping around doing a few different things, mostly body work of course.

26. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

is it going to be flat black again?

27. No it's going to be a similar style to 440Dave's Henry J, whoever painted that car back in the day got it right. I'm going to change a couple things but the general idea is based off of his car. I'll probably move the "Bad Moon" name onto the doors but for sure use his top panel layout on the sides. The rest I'll just wing it, as long as it looks good from the bleachers...lol

Attached Files:

28. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

nice! i love the panel jobs with the lace,the fades,and and all the other lost styles from the back in the day..

29. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

30. Body work sucks and it's kicking my back in the ass..lol
    I was scuffing the black to get it ready for the primer job and man there is a lot of ripples and imperfections on that roof. You can see where it was leaded in areas from the factory and it was that mint green color originally too. I smoothed out a couple of the spots and then told myself " Hey man, this is a freaken drag car not a show car" so we are letting some of the imperfections fly. I like the old been around the block look anyhow especially on a car like this.
    So anyhow I got the main tub and the new quarter in primer today, the other quarter not yet. While scuffing that I decided to fix a couple spots, man that quarter is much nastier than these new ones I got. I sure thought about just putting that other quarter on the car too but decided to just save it for the time being.
    That's my update for now, until then I'll be resting my back and taking a pain killer concoction for the next session .