Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seeking local metal blaster (NH)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nhmikel, Nov 3, 2012.

1. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Looking for a reasonable $ and knowledgeable firm to blast some body parts.
    Would someone please provide any one local (NH) and or any tips
    I need to be aware of?

2. pitman

pitman

Rte 107 on the west side of Pleasant Lake in Deerfield, a fellow had a sign in his driveway. You could check w/some of the Rod Shops, in Bedford or Auburn.

3. Was not happy with the poor job done by a somewhat local blaster in our neck of the woods when we blasted the last project(37 Chev coupe) so this last time we rented a compressor and blaster from EZ Rentals and bought the media and did our own using sand. Did not have any issues with warping or anything. Of course we had the room to allow for the mess outside where we have always done smaller jobs. If I remember right the whole deal for a day cost around 150 + the sand. I see Tractor supply is now stocking sand. We previously got ours from the local Car Quest parts house.
    We were very pleased with the results. Much better than the guys that did the last one for 800 bucks.
    Just my 2 cents FWIW.
    (And the vehicle we did was a 50 Chev truck...took around 3-4 hours to do everything.)

4. Snoxrider85

Snoxrider85

Chandler motorsports in berwick Maine does sand and soda blasting. Kyle is the owners name.

5. pitman

pitman

Then you can go to the powerplant in Bow, NH (the shed is just behind/North of the plant) and buy 50 lb bags of black beauty for blasting.

6. Snoxrider85

Snoxrider85

Depending on where you are and what you need blasted. I have a blaster and I might be able to blast it for you.

7. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

I thinking of starting with the front fenders as pictured in my avatar.
    One is nos and the other light surface rust.
    What size and or type bead would you use?

8. Getting kinda cool now for outside blasting. Due to the temp difference you will get a bit of moisture or condensate in the line which will clog the blaster. I have done it inside with a tent but it is a hell of a mess and that sand gets into everything. We use fine sand and apply it to the metal at an angle not direct to avoid any warping.

9. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

So far I have..... these responses...
    someone uses extra extra fine grit - my research indicates 30-60 grit
    another place indicates 80 grit

I am trying to be careful as when I have had previous items done, did not get the expected results

10. pitman

pitman

Mostly I recall that the steel can get hot if you get heavy-handed and don't watch carefully. Then it can become warped.

11. Snoxrider85

Snoxrider85

We have some 20-40 sand also I need to blast some other parts and then I will have some used 20-40 sand and that is what I blast my sheet metal with.