Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Model Y axle suggestions? (Narrow car!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hansa1100, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

So, after realising that my current rust bucket project is going to drag on for years, I started looking for a project that could be finished a bit sooner. I found a 1935 Ford Model Y close to home that was fairly priced and almost rust free, but it didn't have an engine or any of the axles.

If you don't know the Y, it's the English 3/4 sized uncle to the US 33/34 Ford, meaning it's really small! I haven't measured it in detail myself, but from what I've read, the car is roughly 55" (140 cm) wide, with a track width of measly 45" (115 cm).

I'm looking for input especially on axles I could use on such a narrow car. I'm not opposed to IFS/IRS, but I'd rather not...

Can you get such a narrow (dropped) axle somewhere? Do I need to shorten a normal one? I guess the kingpin distance needs to be as short as 38"?

In this thread, Weasel suggested an Alfa engine and an Alfa rear axle, which is a very cool idea I will look into. But I'm still a bit stumped on what to do up front. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Pm Hershambob

We both owned a Model Y but I can't remember where would sell an axle.

All I remember is it was a dropped tube with old Ford Transit spindles.

3. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Thanks for the tip! I see that Magnum Axle sells a narrow tube axle, maybe I have to go that route...

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

That would look cool.

I also think that tha Alfa twin cam would be a great engine. My old car had a Rover V8 which filled the engine bay completely.

I seem to remember it had Fiat seats.

Martyn

5. why not use an axle from a similar size car, Anglia/Prefect,Morris8 a normal big car axle would be too big and bulky

6. 53 ford

53 ford

Postal jeep front and rear.

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Not going to be strong enough and brakes become a problem.

8. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Might be tricky - the car is in Norway

9. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Check out the Morris build in my album, it might give you a few ideas and I've posted more details on the Morris social group. Z

10. RussTee

RussTee

English Fordson truck 8hp had quite a strong axel would need beter brakes though

11. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Yes, I think so too. The state is rather focused on axles and brakes when it comes to registration of hot rods over here.

Is the postal jeep based on a normal jeep? Because jeeps are quite plentiful even here.

Will do!

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that!

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Would you be able to get a fabricated tube axle past the PTB? Perhaps if it were thoroughly engineered and documented?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. Ruggie

Ruggie

Ford popular.

14. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Hi
    Why not drop a Anglia/Popular axel? Easy done!!
    My friend are always talking about how easy it is to adapt VW brakes to a Anglia/pop axel.
    You could PM him on: www.traditional-hotrods.dk his nick is:"west"
    You could also look into using Volvo PV spindels and drumbrakes, or Amazon discbrakes.

By the way: what are becoming of your Hansa?? I've been thinking of that once in a while.
    Nielsk

15. CayoRV

CayoRV

I know this won't help you at all being in Norway but I have a comlplete front and rear axle with wheels and shocks and all just sitting out back doing nothing but getting older. In Michigan.:(

Chuck

16. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

If by PTB you mean pre-registration inspection, so yes. The common brands are pre-accepted here as far as I know. Tube axle and 4-link is an alternative...

Yes, this might be an idea. The Volvo parts are also pre-accepted here I think.

About the Hansa, I've started on the rust repair and body structure, and I have all the major parts I want to use. I even have a go from the state on the modifications. But my girlfriend is getting impatient and wants me to get a car finished soon! We just had another child, so I had to extend the house, which of course takes up a lot of my time... So I'm putting the rusty Hansa on hold in favour of the rust free Ford! At least I think I will.... Hm... Unsure now!

We have family in Atlanta and go there regularly, but even that's quite far from Michigan... If I feel adventurous next time I'm there, I'll give you a call! I can take a roadtrip and drop the stuff off for shipping in Savannah or something! :D

17. If you contact Brad54 (who lives 1 hour north of Atlanta), he will be in Ohio in a few weeks. If you can get the axles to him, he could bring them down, and then your family could pick them up from Brad.

18. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Ok, thanks. I'll check with my sister in law, but I'm thinking it'll be a bit too much hassle for her... Oh well, I guess it's easier to go the Anglia/Pop route, they're relatively easy to find even here!

19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

20. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway