Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield 40 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, May 14, 2011.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Sometime in the 70's I belive, Popular Hod Rodder magazine ran an article on how Kong Jackson talked Ed Winfield's wife out of her 40 deluxe coupe she had since new. I recollect Tom Senter may have been involved. During those years some of the mags were known to be a bit "tongue-in-cheek" with some articles. Never was sure about this one because I never read another line about the "Winfield 40". Anybody have any info on this? Can you imagine owning Ed Winfield's 40? Just recalled the mag was called 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas. Had some posts on this a few years ago but would still like to know where the coupe went.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Offy 220

Offy 220

Bill,

I recall reading in a magazine or saw a picture of his 40 - which one I don't recall. I was always curious about the engine - what modifications and what equipment [I would assume a Winfield camshaft and possibly carburators] he ran.

Recently on the auction website someone listed a 59a intake manifold with 2 Winfield carburators. I have never seen one before. I am with you, would like to see or know more information about his car and does it still exist.

Offy 220

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

1001 Custom and Rod Ideas October 77

Attached Files:

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The article said the car was 100% stock. with only 27,147 miles on it. bought new by Mrs Margret Winfield specially fitted with Ford factory Leather upholstery.

5. RussTee

RussTee

Wasnt that the mag that spoke of the Winfield weekend an amazing vist with one of the greatest automotive minds Ed Winfield was sorting out problems for auto manufacturers until he died

6. Offy 220

Offy 220

Stanlow,

Thanks for posting the information. :)

Offy 220

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

It seems to me that I saw it years ago at Don Garlits place on display.

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The Winfield Coupe has been displayed at 40 Ford day in Lapalma Park several times in the past 10 years. I have a photo of the car if I can find it.

9. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks guys what a car with REAL history! Wonder who got it after Kong passed on? I suppose if I had I would worry about all the calls.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I found the same article in the 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas 1978 Spring edition (YEARBOOK)also. It also has the Winfield weekend article too.

11. I was at Winfield Weekend in May of 1976. I was driving a 1929 Roadster pickup with a Cook 4 Port head and two Winfield Carbs. I was part of a group called Forever 4 Ford Club. Everybody had bangers. We met monthly at Wes Coopers place in Burbank, CA.

We thought that we needed to do a trip and Either Cooper or Kong thought a trip to Vegas to see Winfield would be a good idea. You could not participate unless you had Winfield Carbs and was a four banger. I think we had eight or nine cars in front of Ed's house.

He came out and inspected each ride. Have some pics of him hovering over my car. Way cool. We toured his shop and there was a letter on a bench from George Bignotti thanking Ed for grinding his cam master for his Indy Engine that year.

It was after that when Kong and Ed made a deal on the 40 Coupe. It was not made custom for Ed's wife. They were at the Auto Show in San Francisco in 1939 and Ed's wife fell in love with the car. It was all dolled up with leather and a few other neat things just for the show.

The batery blew up from hydrogen gas when trying to start it. Good thing Kong wore glasses and had a garden hose near by. Very scarry.

Kong drove it home with no mishap. He sold it within a year to finance his engine stuff. When Kong died he did not have a wife and I do not know who got the 1963 Galaxy with the side oiler 427.

We looked at Winfields photo book and got a few coppies of pics. Here is a cool one.
    [​IMG]
    Ed was much younger then. That was the "T" powered car with the two up two down crank.

Tom Senter did not go in 76 but road up with me in 77.

Sorry about the long post.

Tim

12. I have a round tray of slides for each year I went (76 and 77). Need to do some scanning.

Tim

13. RussTee

RussTee

Really like to see those slides funny that there are two threads here this month talking about those visits would have loved to be there.

14. Offy 220

Offy 220

Tim,

Thanks for the post regarding Ed Winfield, Kong Jackson and Wes Cooper. I was a just a teenage during that time you are referring to. My dad and I would drive to Wes Cooper's shop in Burbank looking for parts when my dad was building a four banger for one of his buddies 29 A roadster.

Wes would not tolerate 97 carbs on a four banger - only Ed's carburetors. If I remember correctly, Kong's shop was near by or next door.

Thanks again for posting - always enjoy stories and pictures of original hot rodders. Since you mentioned George Bignotti - one of the best Indy and Offy mechanics - I have an Offy 220 stroked crankshaft with his named stamped on it.

Offy 220

15. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I was there that day too, Tim has it pretty much as it was only the car was first on display by Ford at the 1939 World's Fair in Chicago. It did have the leather upholstery, I believe it was an export item??? Seems that it had a few other special items, maybe the steering wheel but I'm not sure now. The battery did blow up as Tim said. What he didn't add was that when Kong drove it to the motel that afternoon, one of the front brake flex lines broke just as he parked it! Could have been bad but wasn't. Kong and Ed were long time friends. I was disappointed that Kong only gave him $2,000 for the car. He sold it a short time later for $10,000, still a bargain I thought.

16. So what were you driving then. I am going to get some slides scanned and do a post on Winfield Weekend. If you have some pics then we should co ordinate our efforts. Most of the folks that went on that trip are no longer using oxygen. There is you, me, and Kieth Lee (who rode up with me) still arround. Forgot about the brake line, could have been bad getting off at Baker at the Bun Boy for lunch.

Tim

17. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I was driving my late '31 pickup, bought in 1958 for $150! Am currently putting my iron 4-port back in it, hope to have it on the road again next week. I probably have some old slides???