Register now to get rid of these ads!

East coasters + Sandy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOPESphotographics, Oct 29, 2012.

1. I think more have power back now, still some isolated areas that may have it back on for Thanksgiving. I work with people that are south of Montauk Hwy... 2 of the houses are probably total losses.

Tons of big trees down and we didn't have that much rain. Got a nor'easter scheduled for next week and more trees are expected to go. Just what we need. The gas situation sucks... I'm good for a few more days then have to stay home from work if I can't get gas.

Bob

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Where's Kanye West when you need him..............

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

All I could do was donate $50 to the relief effort. Small, but it's all i could let go right now.:( Having grown up in upstate New York and being stationed in NYC when I was in the Navy, I feel like I have a small, but loving relationship with the New York area in general.

I just hope that you guys keep chugging along and put aside differences for the greater good. Having gone through some hurricanes here in Houston, I know how you guys are feeling. DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE WEIGHT OF THE SITUATION!

After "Ike" hit Houston, my power was out and it sucked. But what really made it bad was when power first got restored, my street was the ONLY street in my neighborhood that had power.:confused: For 2 days, I let neighbors and folks I barely knew, use my facilities. My next door neighbor used to rag on me for filling up four 5gal cans of gas before a hurricane. He hasn't done that since I gave him some gas to get to work after "Ike".

Stuff like this can bring out the worst and best in people. Be the good guy.:)

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Being a big storm worry-wort from Florida, one thing that always impresses me is how the electric companies work together, send the calvary, etc. I mean, people and rigs were probably being prestaged for deployment to the affected areas before the storm even hit. What I worry about more is food, fresh water, sewage treatment, getting the roads cleared, fuel and so on. The folks that have to take care of that don't seem quite so ready to spring into action like the power companies are. Hats off to those guys. Gary

5. the best sounds ever; #2, the generator starting up.... #1 the generator shutting down after power is restored.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Growing up with my stepfather who was an electric lineman, he had to go out all the time when storms hit in the worst of the weather to help restore the power. As a kid, I worried every time he wouldn't make it back. Fortunately he did and is still with us today. But we all know some of them don't. Those guys that do that stuff put their lives on the line to get the power back on asap, literally. They do take safety very seriously, but tragic incidents do happen. True heros really and people take it for granted.

7. lorodz

lorodz

id like to thank sandy for flushing out my new 50 ford coupe. and id like to also thank her for the gas shortage here on long island i havent been able to get gas for a week now ..

8. Jimm56

Jimm56

FAUX news BS.

9. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I can't get gas either, I've been riding a bike and walking everywhere. I guess it's good exercise.

The few gas stations that got gas deliveries had lines a mile long and were out of gas before the end of the day. Folks pulling guns on each other in line, fights, etc. . . it's getting hairy out there.

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really hope their wrong about the weather we have coming in later this week.

11. I was on one line this morning, they were pumping gas when I drove by.... 15 minutes later this cop comes down the line, said they were out of gas. Tried a couple of other stations, just people waiting on line, nothin' being pumped.

Drove past a bunch in the Bay Shore area around 4... all dark & closed up, but had cars lined up waiting.

I'm taking off Monday from work, have a couple of doctor appointments I can't miss. Getting past Tuesday will be a problem for me to drive at all. Even the stores are running out of some items. Gettin' scary, but at least I have lights and heat.

Bob

12. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey Folks,

Finally back up and running, got power Friday night, got cars filled up before the rationing started. Most power back in my area. School close till at least Tuesday. Not sure if the office will be back online tomorrow or not, waiting for power then need to check the T1 line.

During the power outage, I did drive 50 miles south for gas to fuel up the Generator. I drove right into the gas station no waiting. It's weird the further ssouth you went gas lines got shorter and shorter. Also I heard Bristol PA a short drive as well had no gas problems.

All my problems were not problems and just minor inconviences. My heart goes out to those that lost so much and may not even know what they lost yet as they have not been able to get back to their homes to check on them.

13. F&J

F&J

Just thinking... that many claims won't be covered, some people will never recover from these losses, some relationships will fail due to stress, businesses that can't recover.

14. noboD

noboD

We had a local flood last Sept. near Hershey, Pa. The locals that were promised federal buyouts still have not received their $$. I also know a story of a local claims adjuster that was sent to one of these devistated areas by his Insurance Co. He was given X dollars and told to spread it around. Don't count on receiveing what you are insured for.

15. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I have been trying for about 5 years to buy my fathers friends 40 Ford coupe. It was his hotrod in the 50's that has been in storage since then, club plaque on the back, 50's caddy motor with an adapter and all. I got a call from my father to call his friend up. It was in 31" of salt water from the storm. I may end up with it in the next few days but I am still ill thinking about it. Another friend of my fathers lost 2 Hotrods that were totally under saltwater. As bad as that is there are still alot worse off people here. The real bad part about the flooding that you don't know about unless you've been there is the heating oil and sewage spills. A lot of homes are condemned because of the spills, not the damage.

16. noboD

noboD

The local houses that were trashed by the flood were not allowed to be burned in place,"because they were contaminated by sewage and chemicals in the water." By Gov. decree they had to be dismantled and taken to the incinerator owned by the city. Both the city and incinerator are/were bankrupt at the time.

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I finally got power back last night! Monmouth county, I think, got hit with the most power outages of all. I know south of me, still trying to get by with no electric....cold nights, now, but at least the gas problems are going away, at least here.
    If anyone close needs to borrow a small generator.....PM me!

18. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Still no power. Just sounds of generators running. Cable company still down so no tv, internet or phone. Gas is easier to get. For what I've seen and heard I'm not in bad shape. Others lost everything. Be safe

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

The sad part is that those who sustained substantial damage better not hold their breath waiting for payment from FEMA. My Son lives in Vermont and got totally wiped out over a year ago by Hurricane Irene. Despite having a paid in full Federal Flood Insurance Policy, he's not yet received a dime from FEMA.

20. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I was told that story is BS

21. What a way to get a car... pressure wash the shit out of it and seriously consider taking it apart.

In Nassau County, the sewer back-up thing is a serious problem. I don't know how the sewers south of me fared, ours is okay. The oil tanks in the ground... tons of older houses have them, including mine which I abandoned in place when I went to gas. That's gonna be a big problem with the ground water.

Finally got gas... $4.29 a gallon and i waited 45 minutes. Glad I took the day off.

Bob

22. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

who's ready for a nor'easter this week? can't we catch a break :(

23. slant37

slant37
    from Holland PA

Still no power since last Monday. Northampton Twp, Bucks County PA.

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I saw on the news this morning that the runners were helping out with clean up..Good for them, much appreciated I'm sure..

25. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Insurance adjustor was here today.. see what they give me for the damage.. inner and outer fender, rad support, grill and a few other odds and ends..Car was for sale too!

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      217.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      364.9 KB
      Views:
  26. Can you say "fucked"? I knew you could....

It all depends on how much rain comes with it. The hurricane brought very little rain, they usually bring a heavy rain before them. So.. with what trees, structures, etc are already compromised and a potential soaking, this could be the 2nd act to Sandy.

Bob

27. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Various reports of people threatening, throwing things at and harassing the line crews. What kind of crap is that? Many are from out of state and here to help. The ones that are in state are there doing their job and their family may be in the same situation, without power and lights and such. Just plain stupidity and self-entitlement. The world doesn't come to an end just because you can't get on the internet or watch the latest "reality" show. If someone is there to help, you don't take a dump on them.

28. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

Perhaps some of the millions made in that stupid jersey shore show could go to relief efforts if anyone involved with it wasn't too busy with the world that revolves around them.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still without power at home but have power and internet at work. Office has a backup generator and we have been working since the day after the storm. I am a structural engineer and have been reviewing 4 to 5 buildings or houses a day. Its pretty bad out there but could be a lot worse. Just don't think the insurance money is going to be out there for people to rebuild. Some towns will never be the same

If anyone needs their structure looked at send me a PM. I will givw you my work contact info and give you a hamber discount as best I can. We are now taking credit cards to help people spread out the payment and keep their needed cash in their pocket.

30. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Hey Six Pack To Go. Tough break on the shoebox. Hang in there. Hopefully it will all work out.