Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just picked this up. Now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercmike430, Nov 4, 2012.

1. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

1963 Mercury Meteor S33 factory 4 speed car. 80,000 mi, great black interior, but really rusty. Fix it or part it?

Attached Files:

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

That's got to a pretty rare car at this point. I'd don't recall seeing too many of them back in the day, esp. a 4-speed. It looks very complete, so by all means, I'd vote for a resto. If you're on the young side, it'll just mean time (which you have) and relatively little money.

3. yblock292

yblock292

I agree, fix it, rare car and would be super kool

4. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Nice..... Looks pretty rare. Fix it and I'm not even into Mercurys

5. charlieb66

charlieb66

Remember the odo only goes to 100,000 miles, it may have 180,000. This car shares a lot of common Fairlane ans Mustang parts that are available. If you don't restore the car, offer it whole to someone who will.

6. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

if u part it out ill take the whole car.....looks very fixable

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The way that interior looks I really think the milage is more like 80K than 180 K, it really looks nice. Usually there are tell tale signs like rips and worn places but from what I can see in that picture it looks great.

Tough call on saving it though. It is a hardtop and a four speed car, which is really in it's favor. Question is, does this car have enough value when done to justify a lot of repair work underneath ? Maybe it would be better to find a nice body and transfer everything over.

Don

8. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

A quick google search shows 4,865 S-33 hardtops were produced, I doubt there were many 4 spd's. I have never seen one before.

I have owned four 62-63 Meteors, never had a S-22 or S-33, mine were Customs, they were good cars but not that popular and could be bought cheap.

I would call this one a fairly rare car that no one cares about. If it was mine I would try to restore it.

9. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I used to have a 63 just like that.. 260 V8 .. I liked that car..

10. kennkat

kennkat

:):):)Fixxxxxx itttttttt pleeeezzeeeee:):):)

11. That rust can all be fixed. The interior looks great! Plans?

12. flathead okie

flathead okie

Looks like a complete tear down on the body. Too much for me. I had a 65 Falcon Sprint Convertible in about the same condition. I ended up selling it to someone who could fix.

13. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

14. barney rubble

barney rubble

Looks very dangerous. PM me your address and I'll come rescue you from it.

15. randy

randy

If you have the knowledge & tools to fix a body in that shape, fix it. Fixing rust is very inexpensive if you can make most of your own panels.

DON'T PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT. Shop rates will make that project cost WAY more than it'll be worth. Figure $50-$75 an hour for 150+ hours(conservative estimate) which won't include body & paint. You get the picture.

Honestly, I'd swap the body.

Good Luck.

-r

16. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

I first picked it up to make a race car out of it, but the more I thought about it I started thinking it would be wrong to cut up a car so complete. With the hard to come by 4 speed and black interior one might get onto somewhat of a morale obligation. I've always felt like I have to save them all. I think a lot of you know what I mean. The real problem with this is coming up the large amount of time and money it will take to complete the project and what the car is worth after the smoke clears. I, like most of you, love these old cars, but its always tough to know where to draw the line.

17. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yeah, it's a car that will never be worth a lot of money, on the other hand you won't see 3 or 4 everywhere you go. Tough choice.

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Well, it's only metal and that's very fixable and they ain't building them anymore so FIX IT. That's a very rare Merc..

19. greg

greg

If you can do the work yourself, and there will be a lot of it, FIX IT. If you have to pay to have it done, not so sure.
    Check out my post " my 59 edsel wagon build" and see what im doing on rust repair.
    Your car looks fixable to me, but im brave, or a little crazy!!!

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That thing does look pretty beat to hell but if you do decide to part it let me know because my buddy could possibly use some parts

21. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Get it drivable and work from there. If not sell it complete .Very rare.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

How many 1960s cars made it to 180K?

That car is a keeper. The rust looks like rocker panels & sheetmetal. How's the frame?

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Gasmonkeyed fix that in a week :rolleyes: ...... gasmonkey style!

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

LOL! If the S-33 has a 260 v8 it may have the Dagenham [from UK] 4spd also used behind 6cyl engines..If the 4spd bolts to the bellhousing from the inside it is the Dag, if the bolts are external its an BW T10...If a 289 v8 it will have external bolts as no 289's made with the Dag trans./.

25. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

You really need to fix it and I have a '63 Meteor 2 door hardtop that would be a great parts car for you (or a solid base for your parts), it's a lot less rusty than yours. I've got a of pic in my 'cars for sale' album. PM me if interested.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  26. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

Your votes have all been tallied up, and the "fix it" party has won. I will have to tell you, it didn't take much convincing. I really liked this car and couldn't lay off buying it. Now it's time to roll up my sleeves and get to work. I will post some pics when it's finished.

27. greg

greg

We want pictures, and story, of the whole build process!!
    start ya a build thread and I will be a loyal follower.

OK, get started and I will waiting patiently for the 1st pictures.

28. I vote fix, too. Once you part it out or cut it up, it's gone, they aren't making any more. If you can't fix it find someone who can and sell it to them. Too many guys make the mistake of letting their skill level blind them to the fixability or value of a car.