Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Worthless thread about 47 Ford trivial things

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Nov 4, 2012.

1. I'm admitting right up front that this thread is not important. It isn't going to instigate any polarity among groups, or start any pissing matches.
    In reality, I'm just wasting bandwidth posting about something I found interesting about my 47 Ford tudor.
    When I got Henry, it had chromed window garnishes. They had been done some years ago, and looked rather sad. So, I'm going to paint them Black, to match the car. I take them out, realize that the passenger door garnish is warped out of shape too badly to put back in, and having the giant "auto Ranch" close by go to buy another one.
    There were several fat Fords in the yard, both Standards, Deluxes, and Super Deluxes. I found the Standards had push out vent windows, and the Deluxes and Super Deluxes all had crank out vent windows.
    My Ford is supposedly a four owner, 61,000 mile survivor, Super Deluxe V8.
    It has all the Super Deluxe trim, and trappings, but has push out vent windows.
    Growing up in the 60's, I'm 64, I'm used to seeing muscle cars where the rules got "bent" on occasion. I haven't seen however, such a discrepancy on the earlier cars. Sometimes those rules were so cast in stone as to be used to identify trim levels.
    How many of you 41-48 guys have Super Deluxes with push out vent windows?
    Not important at all, I'm just curious......Mike

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have a '47 Super Deluxe Tudor. It has black '46 gauges, A gold horn button which I have been told is '48, push out vent windows....

I think the norm was mix and match.

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

It's certainly true about the "set in stone " thing but Ford was also pretty big on using parts on hand...
    It's possible that when your car (and maybe a few 100 others before and after yours) went down the assembly line there may have been a shortage of crank out vent assemblies so they used what was available...crank out vents.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 46 Super Deluxe Convertible has crank out vent windows.

5. Ford was also known for making running changes that did not coincide with a model year change.

6. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

'48 Fordor Super Deluxe with push out vent windows. It is a very early '48 car if that helps. (Low S/N, lever shocks, and the voltage regulator was date coded in the fall of '47)

7. Tell me about oddball on these 40's Fords, ha. I've got a late '42 and it's all mix and match. Yours may also be when civilian production started up again and they bolted on anything that fit.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. fordor41

fordor41

I assume you're talking about the front vent windows. My '41 Ford SD Fordor has crank out vent windows

9. slick304

slick304

My 48 special deluxe has push out vent windows. Although I was told it is a special deluxe...how can I tell? It does have the special deluxe grill badge.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

65 year old popular car. Did it have a restoration/rework done some time ago? Of course it did. Had chrome garnish moldings. Since the doors interchange from standard, deluxe, super deluxe, the one who did the car found better doors and just hung em on there with less regard for "as delivered". At least you know what stuff you need. True enough, sometimes the OEM would make a running change, but my money's on the previous owner.

11. R Pope

R Pope

Lots can happen in over half a century.

12. Well my '46 Coupe had push out vent windows not that it makes an difference in the whole scheme of things.

The real reason I am writting is that I need a drivers door garnish molding for my '38 Standard tudor and some headlights complete. Of course I expect you to pay for them as your the oldest. ;)

Something interresting to ponder, I suppose that if the car was on the assembly line and when it got to vent windows there were not any crank mechaniisms they may have just used the push out windows, because the line needs to keep moving.

13. Makes you wonder about the veracity of the "original 60,000 mile, four owner"
    claim.
    As is always the case, the car speaks for itself. On first blush, the car is mechanically very original, very sound. Cosmetically, it looks just a bit more ragged than 60,000 miles. I contributed that to 65 years. The more I dig into the body while doing the wiring, the more I'm finding old school repairs.
    Things done back in the day that we wouldn't even consider now.
    Nonetheless, it's still a fun ride, and it's been a long time in the 60, or so cars I've owned, that I had this much fun repairing.
    A lot of that "repairing" though, is "undoing" the hack work done before me.
    Like I said before, the vent window thing isn't in the least important, and in the scheme of things, I'd rather have push out vents as that is less to go wrong. I'm into antique guns, and just like a few revolvers I own, I wish Henry could talk....:cool:

14. jalopy45

jalopy45

The trucks of that era are the same, use what they had and get it on the road, The '42 we have has the parallel springs with riveted hangers in the back with open drive line and a single transverse spring in the front and what looks like a '40 crossmember riveted in, the old paint matches everywhere so I don't think it was cobbled together because the steering box is '40 style and only one set of mount holes.

15. This coincides with stories I heard from my dad about the rush to get civilian production back up to speed after the war.

16. Mike a lot also depends on the poasition in the production run that the car is or was. Ford was known for using up last years parts on this years production run. That is my theory on the Standard and Deluxe cars from '37-'40. The new year standard always looks like last years deluxe.

If there were push open vents for instance left over from the standard run when the deluxe run started it would stand to reason that Ford would have used the last of the push open vents before they ever started with the crank vents.

17. I don't know if this car is an early or late 47. I have the VIN from the title, but don't know where to look for any other numbers. Not sure it matters to me a lot.
    I'm having too much fun with the old dog to care much.....

18. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I've got a '47 Super Deluxe Fordor. It has push out vent windows. But I had different pieces of front sheet metal. So I'm not sure if it's a true Super Deluxe. Just has the Super Deluxe hood emblem.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1946 Super deluxes had crank out windows, I would guess also the very early 1947's with 1946 trim...picture in avatar is late '47-8, which did NOT get crank out windows. I believe that 1946 types below super deluxe also had push outs, but nothing after those '46 types unless a few slightly mongrelized cars got out during changeover.
    These years were chaotic with shortages of materials and huge ongoing managerial changes at Ford, and I think probably rate of changeovers depended somewhat on stocks at the many assembly lines...demand for new cars was still WAY above supply and they would have assembled aything they had, unlike the much more controlled model changes of earlier years.
    My '48. purchased new by my Father, is an early '48 that is all 1947 in its features, with Ford steering lock and Houdaille shocks...built 11-11-1847.

20. "picture in avatar is late '47-8, which did NOT get crank out windows."

What criteria did you use to determine it's a late 47? Knowing that will surely help at the swap meets. Thanks, Mike

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think the early 1947 was only manufactured for a short time and is relatively uncommon.
    Early '47's were like 1946 with rectangular parking lights up high almost where there is a reflection on the tin in your picture, and all the chrome was grooved. All those trim bits carry 51A part number prefixes...late '47-8 have the low round parking lights and all the chrome strips are simple smooth shapes. Trim parts for those years carry 6A part numbers. There are lots of other differences in instrument colors and detail, dash trim, hubcaps, etc....

22. Ah-ha! One of the cars in the vintage yard close to me may be an early 47 instead of a 46 as I thought before.
    I love the HAMB! it's more fun than, and more educational than going to school.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On that distinction...I think the serial number might be the only real difference between '46 and early 1947...they just declared a new model year and the line kept on running, waiting for that shipment of new 6A pattern trim...
    I think from memory that '46 V8 numbers began with just 99A indicating 239 passenger car, while the later ones went to 799 and 899 to denote years. Lots of stuff was evolving.

You need your textbooks! recommended are Ford-closing the years of tradition and also the '41-48 resto book from the V8 club, along with '28-48 parts book and the body parts book covering the late years.

24. scrubba

scrubba

Mike , as a former contributor to the Ford Club newsletters, I thank ya for the information ! scrubba

25. Park lights

26. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Interesting. My car sounds similar but has no steering lock. Only place to put the key is the electrical switch to turn on the ignition.

27. fordor41

fordor41

Steering locks when the key is turned(chrome button on R. side of column moves)

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What he's talking about is the normal '48 layout...Ford's new army of GM veteran accountants dropped the traditional Ford lock for 1948 to save a couple of bucks... a normal '48 has just a simple bracket in place of lock and a key operated switch controlling only ignition like a later model Ford. My '48 is likely one of the last made with full lock.

29. My 47 has the lock and column ignition. Neither one of them work. Someone, a gazillion years ago installed a simple on/off key switch where the hand throttle used to be.