Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

There is also an article in the May 1966 SUPER STOCK AND DRAG ILL. on Kelly Chadwick which states he built 3 Mopar and 1 Ford match bash/funny car as of that time.

[​IMG]

3. Larry T

Larry T

OK, I guess so. But I saw pictures of the car on a chassis jig when I was in Dukes Welding in the 70's. Maybe they were redoing it, I don't know.

Also found this on the internet (along with articles about Hardy building it)

"Gene Snow’s first match basher was this injected Dart. Snow had raced Super Stockers before making the jump to injected nitro engines. T-Bar chassis did the first conversion of the car, which included altering the wheelbase and gutting the car of dead weight. Ted DeTar built the injected nitro Hemi engine. The car got Gene into the nine-second range. Snow also put on wheelstanding exhibitions for fans when he was not racing."

As far as the shop in Floydada, I think Hardy did the work and Chadwick supplied the capitol. I always figured Hardy was the builder and Chadwick was the driver. I kind of have a hard time with Chadwick stating "I am the only active dragracer in Floydada" at the time since Hardy was racing a B/Gas 32 Ford in 63, and started building cars when he got out of the service (65/66??). He's still in business in Floydada, although he doesn't build racecars any more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Mikio said the fellas from Mentone put a small block in it.

5. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

I know everyone here knows all about Gene Snow and his leanings but back in the 50's-70's Im surprised it didnt affect how people associated with him and didnt affect his racing career. Was it not widely known or just no one cared?

6. skywolf

skywolf

Some more great shots of Rambunctious courtesy of Chuck Conway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

It's reported to be the Willie's Willys car that used to run quite a bit at the nostalgia drags.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Willie's Wilys belongs to John Klinger from Michigan. Runs a 396 with tunnel ran. It hasn't been out for a few years<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

8. Leanings? Snow is gay. It wasn't widely known at first, but by the 70's most all racing insiders knew. By then he had certainly earned respect on the track. Jungle Jim used to hound him mercilessly. He was a pro racer .
    Later developments notwithstanding.

9. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

You want scandle, what about Bob Muvarez/ Floyd Lippincott. That's what we should be whispering about:D

10. skywolf

skywolf

11. skywolf

skywolf

12. skywolf

skywolf

13. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

That is one of my Uncle's shots..... Check out the album "Old Drag Photos" on my profile....

[​IMG]

14. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Good photo album. Thanks for sharing SoCal Merc.

15. skywolf

skywolf

I found that picture on Facebook via the Irwindale page. There are a bunch of your uncle's photos on there. Thanks for sharing your album. :)

16. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I'm glad you and others got to enjoy them as much as I did when I found them. Thanks!

17. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

His "leanings" I was referring to was not just his homosexuality but his but his affection towards children. I believe his first arrest for it was in 79'

18. Was that Willys previously owned by Willie Harder, Constantine Michigan? If it was, I used to see it at his Shell station nearly every time we towed up to US131 in Martin Mi. God, I've known Willie for an awful long time.

19. No.

20. noboD

noboD

I doubt if anything else needs to be said on this subject.

21. Anyone remember the 30's Willys that Mazmainian built back in the mid 60's?
    I remember reading an article, I think, in HOT ROD, and thinking how great the build quality was. The car was beautiful!

22. Larry T

Larry T

I think your talking about Don Eisner's "Ultimate Willys". Mazmanian was supposed to get one too, but I'm not sure they built it. The car wasn't the world killer they thought it would be.

There are a couple of pictures of it on page 1653 of this thread.

23. ^^^^2X3 square mainrails, 'glass body. kind of spider like. It looked ultra light in the article.
    The article I remember had Mazmanian's livery on the car, and if I'm not mistaken, it was the cover photo for that issue. Been a few years, I got caught reading it in the lunchroom at school, and it ended up in the principle's office. I'll bet he was a gearhead and had a stack of confiscated car mags!

24. Larry T

Larry T

Mike,
    Ya gotta watch the folks in charge, ya never know what they're up too! :D I'm pretty sure I still have the Hot Rods that the articles were in, but it would take a while to find them.

If we're thinking about the same series of articles (and I'll bet we are) the car was put together by the top names of the time--Don Long, Tony Nancy, Ed Pink (I think), etc. That's why it sticks in my head.

Here's a picture Paul (Hemi 33) posted of it earlier.

Attached Files:

25. WCD

WCD

Very cool. The Rose Brothers ventured into the header business too. You dont see cars like this at the strip anymore.

26. rose muffler is still there on the corner of Rosecrans and Doty ave, but its 'changed' some what.

i live a couple of blocks from there, and every time i pass, i want to stop in and see what the pictures on the office wall are. maybe there are some cool pics that the new owners never took down that could be scanned and saved.

27. " You dont see cars like this at the strip anymore."

Two reasons.
    1, The No Hot Rods Anymore has, in their infinite wisdom decided that old cars cannot be made safe, and constantly come up with ways to keep them off the drag strips.
    2, These old warriors are getting too valuable to flog on the race track. The pounding of slamming gears each weekend really takes it's toll on those old bodies.

29. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Well after talking to Mikio today you my friend are a very observant person. Mikios first injected car a Bob Voirin (spelling) chassis was sold to he thought Paul Cox. Witch Cox put a small block in it. Mikios next chassis was built by Ed Weddle and started life as an injected car later to have the blower added. After selling the second car that had a small block added also. You my friend are very knowledgeable and observant with a great memory. With the help of the HAMB maybe if the car exists it may be found. Like with Gary Read some day we need to do lunch and tell stories. PM me if you so desire....Mark

30. Larry is not affraid to beat on his "vintage race car". I was at Larry's shop this afternoon, and he is looking forward to doing some passes at the Mooneyes party again next month. I met Larry when he was just a kid going to grade school with my brother in the late 60's. He's still there. His shop is a true time warp.

[​IMG]