Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Deuces

Deuces

I would love to get a job at DST.... I can get there in 5 minutes if I ran fast enough.. :eek::D

2. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

Get the numbers and letters on tha pad on the right front of the block and send them to me. When I go into work Monday morning I will tell you what year, and what it is.

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It's a tight fit, but it's a doable swap if you don't mind lifting the engine out to access the spark plugs (or cut the fender wells)

4. bobjob55

bobjob55

well ,, i guess that after 14 pages , we are sure it's a chevy and not a ford ....or is that still up for discussion ?? motor # will tell size and year ...

5. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

after 14 pages it should be a big block by now, lol.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

correct id post #8. No room for speculation, done deal. Most of us know this number off by heart, but for the guys that are still speculating that its a 327 14 pages later:rolleyes: maybe this will help, but I really doubt it. 327 is just so ROMANTIC...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit: I just realized, the same guys that still think this is a 327 probably dont understand the relevance of Engine Pros post. 350 has a 3.48 stroke, 327 is 3.25. Guess I probably need to post a page from Chiltons before this concept will take hold...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Christ!
    Another [​IMG] thread. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Don't kill it yet it's the weekend already, the pics and #'s must be on their way, the suspense is nearly doin' me in!

Scotty

9. Deuces

Deuces

I'm feelin' mighty sad for that dead horse...:(:rolleyes:

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Howdy "neighbor". I'm pretty close to there too. Out here, anything or anyone under 20mi is still a neighbor.

pm me some time...

Deuces likes this.
  11. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

I work at Ford Motor Company in Deargorn and deal with DST once in a while. Unfortunatly they don't build any prototype race cars or others there anymore. They are basicly a broker for Ford to buy non-Ford cars and trucks, and also process prototype vehicles from Ford to scrap that were used for development. Also re-sell used Ford vehicles from Dearborn.

12. Deuces

Deuces

We'll do Highlander...;)

13. Deuces

Deuces

I did see the big DST white semi make a right onto Greenfield Rd. some weeks back... I wonder what they were haulin'???....

14. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

This is the time of year that Ford gets rid of and scraps vehicles to meet year end budgets. I'm pretty sure that DST truck was picking up a vehicle from the Dearborn area to scrap or re-sell.

15. teejay99

teejay99

yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn., thought fer sher youz Chevy dudes would have this figgered out by now .

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i THink we're goina take up a collection so MRMODELT has GAS money to go and
    picture the list number of the carb, and crank picture so this can be put TO REST

:cool:

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's more to it than a SBC. I'm interested in as much old info as the Op's willing to share with us.

18. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

same here---- im a waitin

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

All right boys.....here is what you have been waiting for....

Sorry it took me so long to get these. Mom and Dad live far enough away that with a family of my own....its sometimes hard to get over there :)

Anyway, here is hopefully some more pertinent info for you all.

*side note* I didn't get pictures of the crank end...couldn't get it apart without making a mess of their garage, but I will make a point to get those pics next weekend.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  20. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

Carb is a Holley 650 for '66 only 327 300 and 350hp 327 motors (vette only I think)
    5b2 translates to 2nd week of december 1965.

Head date code translates to April 28 '67.
    Block date is April 15 '69. (very early 010 block!)

It would be interesting to really go over the internals and investigate the build. I'm not well versed in 60'-70's engine building techniques, but its kinda odd to see a mix of parts like o-ringed deck, stock style stamped rockers, a small carb, etc

Any idea what cam is in it? Wish I were closer, its a neat motor.

Edit to add - I'm guessing 10.5:1 or better with those pop ups, more if its been decked. Will sound great but not very pump gas friendly with those small chamber heads.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Quik search appears the carb is of 'Vette vintage and probably pretty valuable to the right people. Cool piece!

22. teejay99

teejay99

[​IMG]

.....very interesting !

karl share and Deuces like this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yep, interesting, but we still don't know what the stroke is. There's a difference in shape of rear crank flange, it's scalloped out for counterweight effect from the crank instead of on flywheel like 400 sbc. I just don't remember which is which!
    Good try Mr. Model T, but we're still in the dark.

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very interesting on the Carb info and the block/head date codes!

I am curious about the internals now too. Not sure what cam is in it unfortunately. Grandpa had paperwork for it...I saw it as a kid, but after he passed Grandma and I could not find it anywhere.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

I know, but I will get some pics of the crank flange for everyone, just couldn't yesterday when I went over there.

26. 15 pages... 296 posts...

This thread's never going to end!

27. dualquadpete

dualquadpete

Still could be a 327 as the 010 block # fit the bill for 68 & the 302?? Still in the dark here on this one. Pistons are Std. but for what bore?? This could be a mix & match bunch of parts that likely turned out to be a "screamer"

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If its an aftermarket cam it may have something stamped on the back end of it. Probably long slot rockers. Was the block made right before midnite, or right before lunch? Some engines use to have a D or N on the block denoting day or night shift. I think it was so if they had a batch of bad ones, they knew what shift made them and they could correct the problem. Seriously. Lippy

29. fastlane666

fastlane666

Is anyone following the j/stock thread? 145 pages.

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Unfortunately, I don't have all the tools and "what-not" I need over at Mom and Dad's to get it out of the crate, flip it over and drop the pan for a REAL look inside. I will have to get that stuff together and just spend a weekend messing with it.

That way we can put this to bed for good.

Not sure...where would this be?