Register now to get rid of these ads!

American HAMBers, please help save (American) classic cars in Holland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reijer, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I signed on. I do a lot of exporting of parts and sometimes whole cars to your area and I really hope you can continue to be a part of the hobby.

Not sure if my signature from the USA will help but I'll throw it in there anyway.

And I agree with others that even here in the USA we have a lot of people abusing the system, putting "collector plates" on beat up junk and making it tougher on those of us with legitimate old cars.

I'd be fine if the US cut off the date at 1979 and just left it at that. It'd screw over a few people but it would also eliminate pretty much all of the bullshitters.

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will they count the signatures of people who are not from your country or will our signatures be thrown out because of our location?

3. jazz1

jazz1

Signed from the frozen north,,not sure what i agreed to but hopefully she does not arrive with baggage

4. maniac

maniac

5. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

i signed it as well.. good luck you guys!

6. I signed, I hope it helps, I have a feeling if we do not get a change in leadership, we will be fighting the same thing here soon...We might need your signatures in the future!

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could also point out that old car enthusiasts are providing a living museum of Dutch and American history free of charge, for the public to enjoy and learn from at every car show. They illustrate industrial history and progress, as well as social history of the people who owned and used them. No government could afford to support this work, which your members are doing for nothing, at their own expense.

As for the cheap old cars. How many are there? How serious a problem is this? Is it worth plugging a loophole that only a few are taking advantage of? And who are these people? Who would be using this expedient but a poor person who must have a car for a good reason? And how many miles could they be driving in a 25 year + car?

Is it really worth smashing the poor with a sledge hammer, and smashing all the innocent enthusiasts as well? What is to be gained by this harshness and injustice?

You need to get your message out to the public and get public opinion on your side.

8. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

This Sweed signed for you. Good luck:mad:

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Don't know if overseas signers count? We have SEMA here. They do a bunch of organizing and notification about pending legislation state by state. We have a old saying " the squeaky wheel gets oiled". If citizens make enough noise they will get noticed and legislation stopped. I recommend you also send a letter to your representatives. Even a follow up letter to make sure they know the citizens are not happy with the proposed change. Good luck

10. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Signed.
    I used the address of the University of Amsterdam. :D

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why on earth would the Dutch government care if Americans sign your petition?

12. Wish you guys luck.

I signed using the address I had when I lived there in the mid 80's while working at Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base. You guys are already taxed to death and when I was there a healthy underground economy existed because of it.

13. Reijer

Reijer

Thanks for all the support, fellas. Not sure if it's à problem to list an American city. Perhaps it is à good idea to list Amsterdam or Rotterdam or Utrecht or Den Haag.

Cheers!
    Reijer

14. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

dont know what the hell the rest of it said but i signed it and sent it, good luck brothers

15. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

by signing usa it shows its of global concern,what if every country started with this same bullshit.

16. lahti35

lahti35

17. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Signed, but not resigned.

18. Reijer

Reijer

It's a petition, there more people sign it the more impact it has.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

20. I'll sign it! There's no one on the planet I hate more than the penny-pinching bastards of the world. Get it up 'em!

21. Orn

Orn

Signed! Politicians are all a bunch of assholes!

22. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Maybe they will, maybe they won't.
    But why would they recognize and count the names of those that they know don't live there?

I worked on a petition drive once, and in the end we had to go through and discount/remove from the count all the frivolous names and duplicate names and addresses that were added.
    People that signed it as Mickey Mouse etc.

23. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

24. marioD

marioD

25. Reijer

Reijer

Thanks for the help, fellas. So far 45.000 people have signed the petition.

26. slammed

slammed

Signed. Do it, Possum Crotch.

27. The Netherlands got my support as well. There are a lot of ugly things ongoing to try limit the use of our cars... One very recent proposal from EU was that no modifications at all should be legal, no matter of the year of make. And here in Sweden a recent proposal to the government was to make all disassembling of cars illegal (if not done at a scrapper controlled by the authorities).

28. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

We have that economical crisis here in Europe and nearly all our gouverments are broke. They still need to find some money to pay the welfare of a lot of people wich are nt even European (Arabs, Africans,...). I have signed!

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sounds as though the framers of this piece of legislation are proposing a very broad, opressive measure when they should, instead, be addressing a smaller, specific issue, namely a few people cheating the system.:rolleyes: Sort of like using a meat cleaver to do an apendectomy.:eek:

From your description, it sounds as though a great number of innocent people, the hobby and the commerce around them would suffer:(, not just the cheaters.

TYPICAL "government at work"!

See Post #27. Do you have "historical vehicle" and/or "collector vehicle" license reqistration in the Netherlands? If so, those plates come with specific provisos as to HOW the vehicle may be driven. Maybe instead of a new, additional law, the Dutch authorities need to go after those who (apparently) they feel are breaking existing law.:confused:

30. Reijer

Reijer

Hi Jimi,

Your meat cleaver/appendectomy metaphor is (painfully) spot on.

No, we do not have the types of licence registration as you mentioned. I'm going to find a short and clear description of these and send it over to the organizations looking after the classic car interest here in Holland.

Cheers,
    Reijer