Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Awesome Chop.... Hey, when you have a great looking hot rod like yours, it is amazing what you will pack yourself into and its worth every uncomfortable minute ! :) :)

You want comfort for the ladies, build a kustom !

2. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Dave, I have one of those Nailhead Hilborn thingy's too...been waitin' for the right project to come along....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  3. I was literally like "oh what a bad ass car," and then I saw who was posting pictures!

I need to get out there and take a look at it. Its going to be such a killer freaking car. Jo does such good and fast work.

4. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Hell ya the bumps on my head are bruises of honor

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looking great, Dave. that fill panel below the windshield looks like a ton of work. yeesh.

6. LOVE IT!!! LOL Been there, done that. I'm sure I'll build another kustom some time. Besides, my '34 has plenty of head room. ;)

Holy shit, Mr. Gasser! Love the Hilborn. Especially the mag-driven pump. How rare is that!?! I can't wait to see the project that ends up in.

Hey Wes, it was good seeing you at Jo's open house. Stop by the shop and check in on things any time you're around Brownsburg. Just don'y slow Jo down chatting - time is tight!

More pics later today...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. I think you are well on your way and beyond!!! That body and body work is incredible. Love the chop. Make sure you are sitting on or near the floor. :D Mines is only chopped like 2.5" and sometimes I find myself ducking down :D trying to see a little further up the two lane and 90. It looks awesome - Well worth any future neck problems. You'll see the traffic light reflections off the shiny stuff on your engine so don't worry about that.

8. I love this shot. Damn, that windshield looks TALL!!!

[​IMG]

Much better...

[​IMG]

I am going to have to replace my window frame bottom as it was rusted pretty badly.

If you have a frame or just the bottom to sell (or donate LOL) PLEASE shoot me a PM.

9. Headed down to Indy tomorrow night. Gotta deliver some parts and check out the car in person.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

Jo is hard at it making the cowl steering for the car and bending up the roll bar.

10. brady1929

brady1929

11. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Cowl steering too!?!? Damn you DaddyO

12. Oh ya, it's gonna have cowl steering. Jo makes a wicked-cool cowl steering set up using a Ford F-1 steering box. I'll post pics of it when the time is right.

Wait until you see the stuff I'm hauling down to Jo tomorrow. :D

Jo will be starting the new chassis next week. Yes, he already started one new set of rails for this car but plans have changed. We are starting over and the new chassis is gonna be killer. Stay tuned next week.

13. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Haven't been back to this thread in a while, holy cow, what a transformation, chop is killer, can't wait to see this sitting next to the 34 in the garage when it's done.

Thommo

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey bud,.... give me a call, a Canuck pal of mine has a few extra windshield frames with really solid bottoms..... Just curious,... why did you cut the windshield like that , instead of unscrewing the bottom of the frame and just cutting the excess from the bottom of the upper frame. and re-drilling the holes for the screws ? (no disrespect or offense intended,... just curious)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  15. rooman

rooman

Cutting the frame at that point keeps the brackets for the swing out sliders in the correct place and also matches the location of the cuts in the "A" pillars which, as shown in the earlier photos, have been extensively tweaked to line everything up.

Roo, answering for Joe who is too busy working on the car to get on the HAMB

brEad likes this.
  16. Harms Way

Harms Way

:D..... I got-cha !,..... but I still think it was the hard way ( IMHO )... And yes I have done one or two myself :cool::D:D

17. Tony

Tony

Absolutely love the fab work!!!
    Outstanding job, it's coming out great!

Tony

18. JoKerr

JoKerr

Just wanted to say thanks for all nice comments first 32 chop and second only chop ever done still learning ready to move on to building frame thanks.

brEad likes this.
  19. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Great build, fab work is inspiring, I use to live in lower Mi was always checking out Craig list and never was that lucky. Nice score,

20. .

Why is this guy smiling???

[​IMG]

Because it was one o'clock in the morning and I had just driven 5.5 hours to see my baby... :D

As mentioned, I went down to see the car this weekend. Jo had asked that I come see the body before it gets shipped of to Cincinnati to start the body work. I must say, I'm glad I made the trip.

Going into this project I knew that Jo Kerr is a fabricator. He is really talented when it comes to making pieces and parts and his chassis are top-notch. I also knew that he had not done a bunch of sheet metal work and had only chopped one other car prior to mine. He was still kind of getting his legs under himself on the sheet metal side of building hot rods.

Well, I'm here to tell you, Jo has exceeded my expectations. HOLY SHIT does he do nice work!!!

While I had been getting regular pictures showing the progress, we all know pictures can hide a lot. I had a good chance to look at, and feel, every panel and to check out the front side and back side of each repair. The complexity of this style of chop was also apparent when I checked out the work necessary to rework the a-pillars, cowl, door post and hinges. Wow, just wow...

If I had half a brain and wasn't so damn impatient I should have the car assembled, scotch-brite it, and show this thing at Autorama in all it's bare metal glory. It is that nice.

Well, the thought did cross my mind, but I can't wait to see it in black. So off to Ryan the body goes.

I'll post some more pics from the weekend later.

Baron likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

I love to see threads like this. Guys taking scrappy five-windows and bringing them back from ruins. I have an old stock-car body (the Zip-Gas Coupe) and will be doing the same type of rejuvenation some day. Keep up the good work.

22. Got a little more time to post some pics.

The first one is for my buddy Tom. He drives a nasty '32 3-window that's hammered pretty hard. He has always told me that if your windshield is taller than a dollar bill, you didn't take enough out of the top. Well here you go Tom...

[​IMG]

A few have mentioned seating in the car with the top whacked this hard. Jo and I set a large 3" tall shot bag on the floor and placed an aluminum racing seat on top of it to mock up the seating arrangement. I will be having Jo make up a set of bucket seats similar to the bench he made for his model A. I think I'll fit just fine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad! I know the top wood is not in the car but there is plenty of room.

Here is Jo in the seat showing me his favorite highway cruising position. Foot up on the cowl steering box and arm out the window.

[​IMG]

And finally, here is one of the parts I ran down to the shop. My Halibrand quick change. A special thanks to Bruce (GearheadsQCE on the HAMB) for redoing the unit and converting it from full-floating axles to standard flange axles. He also had to weld up a crack on one of the magnesium bells and set up the Torsen differential. Great work!!!

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hey Dave, I think you're supposed to hold the dollar bill the other way!;):D:D:D

Haha, just kidding, it really looks great man!!

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Dave,
    Glad to see you, the car and the Quick Change all in the same place.

Bruce

25. bjinatj

bjinatj

Great stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post up. Subscribed!

26. Going, going, gone....

uploadfromtaptalk1352248215499.jpg

The body is off to Cincy for 2 weeks to begin body work.

Chassis will be fabbed up during that time.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. slepe67

slepe67

Looks great man! You've got to be stoked!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Glad that you made this buildthread, my body looked exactly the same when i got it.
    Thanks for putting back the floor where it´s supposed to be, it makes me sleep better tonight =)

29. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

What happend to the left over body parts after the roof-chop. did they ended up in the trashcan ?

30. Throw out '32 Ford parts - no way!!! :eek: :D

Someone will want 'em..

uploadfromtaptalk1352478877554.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app