Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a pair of 8ba flat heads!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodbuilder32, Nov 2, 2012.

1. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

Just got them in the truck gonna tear into them in the evenings andweeks coming up. I am goning to post pics tomarrow all I know is that they are locked up oil is clean in one one has been remaned. Oh they are complete carb to pan with trannys. One is atrucktranny the other is a 3spd toploader. What should I keep and what should I pitch when I tear them apart?

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Lucky dick! That pair beats em all!

3. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

the price was right man

4. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

Well I havent gotten pics posted yet but I have one boatancor andonebuilder

5. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Save all the parts you can, some of that stuff is hard to come by.There are always a few parts that can be saved no matter how bad the engine is.
    Tony

6. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

The more I have been thinking about iti am going to completly strop the cracked block and keep everything that is salvageable. The crack runs between #3 and #4 thru the deck. #3 was full ofwater. I have 2 transmissions, one a 3spd top loader with what looks like a adapter plate. The other is a truck tranny. The cracked block was a reman with the pistons stamped 40,wich leadsme to believe its 40 over. The good block ( thus far fingers crossed!!) Has al henry components true 8ba stamped headsect. The pistons are stamped "STD" wichas we all know is standardbore but were factory pistons marked standard like that?? There also is no ridge to be felt in the cylinder walls to speak of!!

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Once more I'll get on my soap box: Don't scrap that cracked block until you get another opinion (or two). There have been far too many flathead blocks scrapped because someone saw a crack and cried wolf. Many could have been saved with a sleeve or two and some Irontite pins. If you can, show us a picture of the crack.

8. And get both to someone knowledgeable on flat blocks.As Dale said,they ain't easy to come by!

9. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

shure thing on the photos of the crack in the block. i plan on having these 2 torn down by the end of th month for their appointment with the hot tank next month plus i have a 3rd block in my garage that needs tanked and magnifluxed as well, but the cylinder walls are all messed up wth that block when it threw a rod.
    then i am gon use the best of the 3 for my build and sell the other 2 POSSIBLY