Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Call it backyard or whatever you like, I call it all mine.
    That sander has been going for around 20 yrs now, still working and doing the job. I enjoy myself, maybe not the best tools or conditions as compared to others but it works for me. If I sat back and worried about every little thing not being right with the universe this car would still be just sitting around while nothing got done.
    I guess I take a little offense to your "back yard" comment but hey I'm out there doing it and not sitting around making excuses.

p.s. : I also used a Sears jigsaw to cut the radius out.....not a pneumatic air saw...but it cut the hell out of it eh ?

2. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

"Backyard"is traditional, something to be proud of.

Blue

3. ardyboy

ardyboy

"p.s. : I also used a Sears jigsaw to cut the radius out.....not a pneumatic air saw...but it cut the hell out of it eh ?"

Hell---sayin eh is something to be proud of.

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

some spend all there money on SPEED ...lol
    :cool:

5. Clik

Clik

Hey man! I'm with ya. I didn't mean it as a bad thing. It caught my eye 'cause I have the same one and have yet to get a real D.A. myself. I've had mine for probably 30 years. Those little wire clips are a pain in the ass aren't they? :rolleyes:

6. Sorry then Clik, still got my sore throat which makes me edgy, and yes they are a pain in the arse.

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

whats more imlportant is that your pepsi cooler is alomost empty....get some more beer...it's good for a sore throat.

Car is looking good!

8. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I'm thinking if -N- he had more BEER i'd drive the 3000 miles ta get one lol
    Phil probably has RULES ( no beer till after you help ) working on the car .

9. Thanks and yes I need to restock that cooler, got a fresh case on the back porch chilling as we speak, Labatt Blue..lol

I don't mind a couple beers while working but don't look to get drunk doing it either. If I did that I'd probably jump the car through a ring of fire with Johnny Cash blasting in the background after a fire burnout of course !

10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

A ya id get all brave and try out running the popo after
    sounding off with OPEN headers ,,,.... ya i never done that before ...lol

DID HE SAY FREE BEER.... (road trip)

11. I would probably tear ass after the reving ricers that like to drive by..lol Then I'd go a couple blocks over and do a burnout in front of the actual 700 hp 68 camaro guy's house, he's almost a second quicker than me so I'd never beat that guy. I could see a full night of shenanigans as long as we didn't get hurt.

12. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

relatively new to the sight love the car, hate seeing fiberglass but thats me, did some quick reading i believe i saw you are running 4:10s with a stout sbc, my father runs 4:88s with a 14.1 383 in his 2800lb fiat 10.10s @ 125-128mph with 6.50 1/8 .. you might want to try more gear if you have some revs left. i'm taking gear out of the big block this year for my j because i have the opposite problem 6.60s 1/8 @ 100 10.50s 1/4 @ 120mph...

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

straightaxlej link us to some pictures we lov em....

14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

15. I would like to go up to a 4.30 if I had a chance to change them. That's a still street friendly enough gear and good for the quarter mile too. I checked out your car and you sure got the big block set back, I think you're damn near in the back seat..lol

Today was more sanding, as usual for me I have more on the ground than on the car. I get to carried away sanding then the next thing ya know it's not there anymore. Put more back on and repeat..lol I made a couple of the brackets out of some aluminum plate for the tilt hinge, now I need to make some steel ones to weld to my radiator support. Then the big "see if it's gonna work" moment.

16. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

17. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

18. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

[​IMG]

this is actually off of the orange drag reunion coverage from this site i wouldn't say i'm in the back seat, call it middle seat..

19. I've got a 9in out back, I'm going to move to a bigger convertor for next year and see what happens.

20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

all this building and racing i might turn mine.......
    ah (shakes head na) better not ... i had my turn at gas class racing... u guys take over ...lol

21. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

come on henry js just aint right without straight axles , radiused quarters, and something sticking through the hood (cowl, windshield)

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Owned this one 15 years ago and sold it to a friend of mine. It looks exactly the same today, and I almost bought it back a few months ago because of this thread (thanks Phil !). And seeing yours straightaxlej out at the Orange Drag Strip reunion didn’t help matters.
    I have my Olds to finish and then my 5W coupe. But I could still wind up with this one back We’ll see. Great look'in little cars .:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ya gasser that one up i need the tail lights and lic bracket (don't lose ) -n- clips holding it in those UGLY square holes lol

WHEN My (6cyl) turns in to a "mosquito killer" (oil burner)
    then it el get the 69 327 or the 350 4bolt(i'm saving in the back ah ha!!) installed.
    untill then i'm gettin like 40MPG ... in overdrive.

24. The no trunk model looks cool and all, but I would take one with a trunk knowing what I know now. Baron you got a cool as car, don't be a hog...lol

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

are gassers like guns ?
    just how many can ya have ...lol

and the story goes, i raced my own car against my other car(what )how ) where)
    dua...whos on 1st whats on 2nd wheres 3rd (er some such nonsense )

26. uncle buck

uncle buck

I am not so sure the beer is a good idea. It could bring results like the Henry J I saw at the Bremerton swapmeet this weekend. It was mounted on a Bronco II chassis.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  27. Ha, what the hell ????
    I've seen a bunch of Henry J's built different ways but never seen one turned into a 4 X 4, each their own I guess.

28. alumslot

alumslot

My buddy keeps saying he going to put one on a 4x4 chassis but he's lying. He's the guy you got your fiber glass parts from. Like you said each his own. But what a waist.

Jim

29. Ha ha, don't let him ! Tell him thanks again for the parts, any history on them ?

30. straightaxlej

straightaxlej

that's not the kind of straight axle job i was talking about haha