Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Super Deluxe Club Coupe with Zephyr gearbox question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41FordSuperDeluxe, Nov 3, 2012.

1. I have my 41 Super deluxe outfitted with its 26 tooth Zephyr gearbox ( as it ran in late 40s ) - the engine is a 221 Flathead with twin Stromberg 97s. The wheel and tires are per original/factory spec. The rear diff in the car is now a 3.78 set.

As you can imagine with the above combination, the off the line take off is rather slow, and it takes some revs and slipping of clutch to get her going.

I am considering swapping the rear diff gear from the current 3.78 to a 4.11 that I have in the shop. I am thinking this 4.11 will help out and hope it does not limit speed up to 55/60 mph

I do not use the car on freeways, and at most go 55-60 max. I am trying to get a combination os a decent take off and still not end up with high revs at 50 mph ( yes the best of both world I know )

At this time, I do not want to modify the engines internals, as it is very nice once off the line.

The typical reply is ditch the LZ gears - but I want the 41 to retain its original gearbox ratio used in late 40's - and want to get a nice balance with a possible alternate rear diff gear selection.

I am looking for helpful confirmations from guys that tried the same gear swaps in the larger passenger cars.

Thanks,
    John
    <!-- / message -->

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Something wrong somewhere. Zephyr gears are lower than the stock Ford. Unless there are mods you aren't telling us about your engine should idle down and pull away strong. Suggest you start with a compression test and tuneup.

3. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

I may be totally wrong, but I feel you should leave the rear alone and use the original stock trans .The Zyphyr gear are close ratio,and low gear is a higher ratio in low. The Z gears were popular for lakes cars and rolling start street races,and in all the magazine feature cars, so we all went and got them. At the time we thought they were stronger,but really the just didnt magnify the torque,saving trans and axle failure. I took a set of Z gears out of my coupe[as did others] so you could move slowly thru the drive in and car shows,or traffic. Close ratio was fun once you got going. Aluminum flywheel magnified the problem.. You gotta take the rear out to chnge gears,so go a little farther and change the trans.

4. Thanks for the comments,

OK took another look over the 41 and was surprised to find the throttle was not entirely opening 100%, thus not getting enough juice to the engine. I fixed the throttle pedal and linkage and took a test drive - the car had good pickup ( not burn rubber pick-up, but steady /strong pull ) off line and pulled really strong in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I know everyone says to ditch the LZs but, now that the throttles are opening properly, I find the LZ ratios are really nice and the higher speeds attainable in each gear 1 / 2 is really nice with the 3.78.

Best,
    John