Register now to get rid of these ads!

replaced the mechanical fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleyjohn45, Nov 2, 2012.

1. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I've replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 53 flathead engine with an electric. I am being told that I need to plug the hole where the fuel pump rod went through to the cam. Is the cam oiled by pressure or is it oiled by the splash system.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that it's so much to do with oil getting out. More like something getting in. Even a simple sheet metal cover will do the trick.

3. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

The cover to replace the fuel pump is in place. I'm being told I need to plug the hole in the valley where the fuel pump rod goes thru to rest on the camshaft.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh...got it, John. I dunno, sorry. Back to my corner.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. HawgHead

HawgHead

Yes you need to plug the hole. There is an oil passage that provided oil to lubricate the pump push rod. With out the push rod in there you have a massive internal oil leak, and you'll lose pressure to the rest of the system.

Scott

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

everything that I have read says that it is necessary for the earlier 59A block engines but not for the 8BA engines like yours. I capped off the fuel pump stand on my old Merc (8BA style) block with no plug in the push rod hole and it's been doing just fine for many many years now. You can use your old push rod by cutting it off so that it can no longer ride on the cam if you are worried about it. I left the hole alone. Everything that I've read says that the later block has a bushing for the push rod that maintains the oil pressure that is not there on a 59A block.