Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting Panels and parts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimothyGleason, Nov 2, 2012.

1. TimothyGleason

TimothyGleason
    from Miami Fla

Fellas, and Gals. I'm going to real show my newbness and ask a rattle can question or two.

I've been trying to change things up a bit and make my vehicles comfortable for me. However I am getting hemorrhoids trying to shot rattle can paint. Lines that are darker, drip marks, and then what look like someone poured something on the finished paint once its dried. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Timmy Gleason

2. make sure the surface to be painted is clean. then shake the spray can up REAL good and give it a light tack coat. let it get tacky and give it another coat , keep doing this until you get good coverage

make sure you get the edges and/or any hard to get to spots first

several light coats are better than one heavy coat

3. Good to have the cans warm, too, I left mine in the car on a warm day and that was good enough. You can also if it's cold boil some water, TAKE IT OFF THE HEAT, and let the cans sit in it for 10 minutes or so.

When the cans get close to the end, move on to a new can, I find that's when they spit and fuzz and so on. Turn them upside down and spray until no paint comes out to keep them clean, and save extra tips, I've saved myself a couple times when they started acting up by switching to the top from another can.

I just did a door for my late model van in the garage that way. Three colors no less. It looks pretty good for the paint job that it is.

4. That's all good info, one last thing is to wrap a cloth rag around the can just below the nozzle to catch any drips that sometimes gather in the recessed area on the top of the can. Nothing will ruin an otherwise decent job faster than a couple of big drips in the middle of your panel.:eek:

5. All the above plus get one of those rattle can handles. It actually makes it like using a spray gun.

[​IMG]

6. ronotron

ronotron

But never trust that he can won't ever fall out of one of those handles, when you are holding it over over one of your freshly painted pieces... don't ask me how I know this...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, I always hold the can loosely with my other hand to make sure that doesnt happen. ;) ;)