Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods November banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Nov 1, 2012.

1. No I meent Aluminum

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Both the store and the head are very reputable.

3. See my post above, I have run an engine using an A block with the repop Winfield head. It, the engine, has pressurized oiling, is bored to 4" with J$E pistons and I ran a 4.562 crank ground on a B, A Jim Brierley Winfield SU1A reground cam, 1 5/8 exhaust. 1 3/4 intakes,dual Winfield BB carburetors converted to side drafts, shop built intake manifold, modified Red's headers, Basically stock B distributor slightly tweaked by me, CR close to 8.5, CI 229", 16 lb. flywheel. car weighs right at 1500 lb.. I would use the same head design on a touring engine with a J Brierley SU1R. I think the crowsfoot combustion chamber promotes better and equally balanced turbulence. I also think that the better turbulence created by this design can be negated by milling to increase CR. My Opinion. Of course Ed Winfield supposedly said " If you want power use cast iron, if you want to cook use Aluminum". Or something like that, but I know the AL repop Winfield's go fast. I have purchased parts from the Early Ford Store and found them both knowledgeable and helpful.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. wright

wright
    from illinois

Hello I am new to the banger sceene. I Just picked up a 31 pickup I am going to run the banger with a Charlie Yapp riley 2 port. I am hoping to go with an automatic transmission. I am wondering if anyone makes an adapter to join a c4 to the banger?

thanks
    Beau

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

why? hock the whole thing and buy a ford ranger engine with trans and drop it in and be done.

6. wright

wright
    from illinois

I guess because that is what I want. I already have the engine and head. I don't see many rods around here with the banger in them and fewer with a riley head but that is what I want to have in this truck. I want to run an automatic transmission because I do not enjoy shifting gears.

7. Look through the A ford barn archives or ask the question there, comes up quite often. I have never seen any times/speeds for C Yapp 2 port but original Rileys go fast if set up right.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

8. Don't see too much infp on that engine/trans combo here.

9. deuce295

deuce295

Really appreciate all the replies about the Winfield heads and The Early Ford Store. Thanks guys.

10. There was this thread on the Fordbarn. Might find what your looking for here.
    Auto-Transmission - The Ford Barn

11. Winfield Heads.

Ed Winfield made two diferent flatheads for ford bangers. He made the Yellow Head and the Red Head (painted yellow and red). the Red Head was the hotter of the two. Later on, Bell Auto made an aluminum head that was designed by Ed Winfield (may be just the Red Head copy, not sure about that). Ed got money for that. I sold an aluminum Bell Auto head a few years ago, never ran it.

Bell also made some really neat intakes for Winfield Carbs.

I am very confident about the above cus that is what Wes Cooper told me when we were building a banger for my 29 rst pickup in 1975-76. Cooper was friend of Ed's

Is sombody making copies of one of Winfields heads in aluminum. If so very cool.

Tim<!-- / message -->

12. I'd love to see a photo of a yellow head....I've got one but no paint remains. Would be neat to see what shade of yellow they were painted.

13. Winfield actually made 3 different heads, the yellow and the red and the "crows Foot". One legend says that the "crowsfoot" was a design patent held by Ricardo and Winfield was threatened with a lawsuit and stopped production of that combustion chamber. I have seen other aftermarket heads using that design.

Antique Auto Parts or Specialty Ford parts, (Jim Gordon) in Rosemead Ca supplies various dealers with the repop Al Winfield heads.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

They are repopping three Winfield heads now. One is a crowsfoot.

15. Is Al Winfield a relative. When I was in to Model T stuff, a friend had a ricardo head on his T. How many of you guys have read sir Harry R Ricardo's book. "The High Speed internal Combustion Engine." Gave my copy to a nephew.

Tim

16. Tim, there is no Al Winfield. Bill uses Al as an abbreviation for Aluminum.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  17. Yeh, I fell for the henway 40 years ago.

tim

18. LOL- sounds like one of my sopranos, Bluto :D!!!

19. Jiminy

Jiminy

A: About 3 pounds.

20. Yes, I missed my period!

21. Last time I heard that I had to sell a car.

Tim

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That funny....

23. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are pics of two of the three repops available from Jim Gordon at Antique Auto Parts in Rosemead Ca.

Sorry About the huge pics. Guess I need to read the thread about re-sizing.

24. joemac05

joemac05

I like the larger spicures as the detail is MUCH nicer...

25. Nice closup of a casting made in high school shop. At least it is somthing.

Tim

26. I just buttoned down one of the latter on an engine destined for the Tourer - so what's the thoughts on which is the better combustion chamber?
    I run a Thomas on the current engine - last time I saw a new Thomas head it had a chamber like the first of the two Winfields? Did someone lose the patterns...?

27. Elrod

Elrod

That looks rough..

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that is horrible finish on that combustion chamber. lots of places for hot spots to happen.

29. Yeah - I had to spend some time smoothing all that out.

30. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I think what you intend to do with your engine is going to determine what head you choose.
    The crows foot head was marked as being 7:1, and it checked out at 120cc.
    The other head was labeled as 8.5-:1 and it came in at 86cc.
    Jim Brierley recommended the crowsfoot head for the street, and since he has been doing this a lot longer than I have, that's what I intend to do with this engine.
    I though it was pretty much a given that you would polish any combustion chamber after final shaping, to get rid of any possibility of a hot spot. I admit my experience is kind of limited, but I've never seen any casting that wasnt kind of rough.
    Hope this helps

Nosetime likes this.