Register now to get rid of these ads!

first hot rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49styleline, Nov 1, 2012.

1. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

this is my first car! me and my Dad are fixing it up. gunna have the coolest car in the parking lot at school :cool: don't really want to have to put a new front end in to accommodate a larger v8 in it, so what are some ways i could add some power to the 216 (now 235) inline six?

Attached Files:

• 49.jpg
      49.jpg
      File size:
      139.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cool ride - congrats. lucky to have your Dad to help show you the way. safety & reliability first.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Be cool cruising,forget being in a hurry.

4. Beau

Beau

Very cool. Looks a little high up though. :)

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool car for your first one, and you are right it will be the coolest one in the parking lot at school.

I presume by "the old man" you mean your father. It would sound better if instead of calling him "the old man" you said "my dad". Just sayin'...

Have fun with the car and working on it with your dad.

Thor

6. if you want to keep an inline i would go with a 235, to put a v8 in you can do that with the original IFS just add motor mounts but there would be lots of other mods that go with it,.. as for your original question, how about upgrading from points to elec ignition, and prob some split headers and exhaust. you can also go bigger and add a dual carb intake or something like that. once you start spending money on the 216 you may wish you would have spent it on something with more power, at least to cruise right :cool:

7. sweet car by the way, no matter what you guys will have fun

8. kennkat

kennkat

I would not spend money on the 216 either. The 235 should be a near bolt in. use a late 50's -early 60's model motor for the best oiling system. Also note that a HD Truck version of that motor was made that may also be a near bolt in. That was the 261 and I have found it id flatbeds and dump trucks in the 1960 - 64 range.. GOOD LUCK NICE RIDE!!!

9. i agree go with the oiled 235 better, and they are bolt in basically

10. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Those will be some good memories,,,fixing your first car with your Dad!!

11. I would have to agree there. Make it a nice little tail dragger.

12. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

yeah your probably right.

13. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

Man, I wish I had gotten something like that when I was your age. Lucky you! Looks like its going to be a lot of fun for you and your dad.

14. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Nice score!
    Check with Tom at www.stoveboltengines.com he is a wealth of Chevy inline knowledge. There are some other stovebolt forums out there too and a good source to pick up some hop up items. The split manifolds help alot and if you decide to go with Tom's 2bbl card set up...I have one complete with the linkage kit etc. that I could help you with. Where in Oregon are you?

15. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Curb Feeler is givin' you some good info...And that Chevy looks pretty damn good!!

16. PJF

PJF

17. stronga

stronga

Great car. Make it look nice and safe to drive. At your age, I would suggest not going all out with the drive train to keep costs low because, once you have the classic car bug you will want to flip the car for something else and you do not want to be upside down. Just date her for now. Do not marry the car. Buy, fix up, drive an repeat. Mt thoughts anyway.

18. That is one pristine looking car! Congratulations!

And I second what Thor1 said:

/end dad-style harping ;)

You're going to love the experience!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Great first car, awesome. You're very lucky to start out with something that nice! Now get to work on that baby.:D;)

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I never called nor referred to my dad as "the old man". That's disrespectful and insulting. If he's going to assist you, giving him some respect and appreciation is the least you could do.

21. My son and I built his first car when he was 14, we had a blast working together, we BOTH learned alot.

one of the best things we ever did!!!

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

nice score there son.!!! and believe what curbfeeler is tellin ya.because he is dead on.ive had a coupleof them little 216s. aint nothing wrong with them if the #s check out ok, like compression etc.like youve been told just make sure is SAFE. THEN DRIVE THAT BABY EVERWHERE!!! you will have a experence of a life time workin with yourDAD, POPS, FATHER. please dont show your dad any disrespect by callin him old man.believe it or not that does hurt. my son is 29 and we have worked together for 15 yrs in the shop and hes never called me old man.me and some of his buddies have had this same conversation awhile back and even they told me they dont rememebr him ever sayin that about me.well he does now because he knows it makes me mad! lol. your going to be the coolest one in the lot thats for sure!! again good score.wishin you luck with this baby. and just a little bit jealous!! ah no im alot of jealous...lol

23. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

keep the inline 6 - search the main board and you will find a way to beef it up

24. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

That car is very cool and I would love to have had such a cool car when I was your age.

If you plan to take a girl or girls for rides or dates, they usually like the interior to be at least clean and somewhat neat. How's the interior look now? Do you need to spruce that up?

25. Squablow

Squablow

If your car is a stick shift, find a rearend from a car with a Powerglide and swap that in. Gives you a better gear ratio, bolts right in and will help the driveability aspect without having to do any engine work. Old Chevy hotrodder trick.

Neat car. Would look nice with wide whitewalls, and there's ways of making those out of your current tires without spending much money (but pass on the porta-walls, they're junk). Maybe a bit of lowering and it'll be perfect. Congrats.

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree that if the 216 is running well then just run it, but don't waste money hopping it up. If you definitely don't want to spring for the V-8 conversion, then save your pennies for a bigger six.

27. lahti35

lahti35

28. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

yeah im stoked! im 14 too and so far iv learned alot!

29. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

the interior is pretty ruff, luckily my dads girlfriends mom can do car interior so that will save some money :)

30. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

yeah that's what were planing on doing. wide whites, repaint it (not sure what color yet), and lower 2 or three inches.