Register now to get rid of these ads!

MADE IN AMERICA! Parts Vendor List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ok, we all saw the thread on the radiators. Wouldn't be great to compile a list of vendors who make parts in the USA.

If anyone has a list, please post or post vendors that you know build their parts with American materials in the USA. Whether it is a small hot rod shop in a barn that builds engine mounts and linkage kits for intakes or the bigger guys that make suspension, intakes etc.

Maybe one of the HAMB overseers can then make this a sticky? or someone can post a master list when a list is compiled.

2. Willy301

Willy301

Edelbrock still touts its manifolds are made in the USA. Seems like everyday we have another brand that has to take that claim off their product, so it would be an ongoing project to keep the list up to date...

3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Detroit Speed Inc, has suspension parts and mounts made right here in the U.S.A Although most of their parts and pieces aren't made for HAMB friendly they do make a lot of parts for Camaro,Chevelle,Mustang that we all know are used on the front of a lot of rides. That's my 2cents.

4. well maybe we just keep the list rolling....thanks for the input, if we have a list, people can scroll through the thread to see, so if looking to buy a particular type of part, maybe can find a US producer of it..

5. johnboy13

johnboy13

A company can claim "Made in America" if it's assembled in the USA from foreign pieces. I recently saw a pair of vice grips that said "Made in USA" on them but the package said in very small print, "Of Global Components". Do your homework. If a company is based in another country or owned by a parent company that is based elsewhere, you can bet the farm that there will be "global components" in their products. Just because the company is based in the USA does not guarantee anything either.

With that said, I bought a rebuild kit from ATP (Automatic Transmission Parts) for my C4 that had a Made in USA sticker on it.

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think Made in the USA is great. I kinda wish all these "Detroit" named places were actually at least in the Detroit metro area.

7. How are we suppose to know if it's actually Made in USA, Assembled in the USA, Designed in the USA, Packaged in the USA, Thought of in the USA, etc.' etc.' etc.???

THEN.... There's the topic of, How much of it is actually "Made in the USA"?

Hell, some of your most "Made in America" cars are Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Toyota and perhaps Ford.

8. A lot of Ford parts are actually made in Mexico and have been since the late '70s or maybe early '80s. Then you have the problem of where the metal is produced, we don't have many if any mills here any more.

Lets see I believe that Mosure and Dutchman axles are made here.

Bell axles are cast in Kansas.

Someone esle can clarify this for sure but I believe that Harris radiators have not gone off shore yet.

9. williebill

williebill

There's a social group for made in the USA here.

10. A new steel mill was built in Alabama a few years ago. I think it is spelled Tyssen Krupp, it is an international company publiclly traded.

11. It's a sad... sad truth, we simply don't make anything anymore. That's mainly due to costs driven up over the years by the unions.

I have a very good friend that is a major designer/supplier of reproduction parts for a particular GM brand (I'll leave it at that). We were walking around Carlisle a couple of years ago shootin' the shit when his phone rang. He said that he had to take the call, it was from China. When he got off the phone I looked at him and said, China!?!? He said yeah and that if he had the parts made here they would cost so much that no one would be able to afford them. He went on to say that he didn't like it but he was forced into doing it or guys wouldn't have parts for their cars.

As a businessman myself I reluctantly understood.

12. CP Pistons and Carrillo Rods are absolutely forged and machined in the "Good Ole US of A"

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Not just Unions to blame for AMERICA not producing what we used to produce! The main THIEF of our GREAT NATIONS ability to be SELF SUFFICIENT is the dumb@$$$ we have been voting into controlling offices the last 25 years or so. The GOVERNMENT has regulated and taxed AMERICAN business so much they can't AFFORD to produce the products here on our own soil. Sucks I know!!

14. JE pistons and EGG parts as well.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just took delivery of a California Car Cover.....Mad in the USA right on the tag on the outside of the cover.

16. My Brother was a cop for 30 years.One day he commented about how he liked his Crown Vic..A good American car.. until I told him that the Vic was built with 27% of "globally sourced" parts thereby qualifying it as a foreign car..He was NOT happy w/me.:D That was a few years ago.It's probably a lot more that 27% today

17. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

This is just not true, it is greed that makes these corporations take their production to China, it costs more to produce a part here and there are also more strict regulations from the EPA etc. The bottom line is as a corporation they have to make the most profit possible by any means. If they lowered their profit margin, and salaries for "higher ups" that rub elbows and golf all day, they could keep jobs here with a little less profit.

Small companies can do well by making short runs of unique parts and selling directly to the consumer. If you want a 12 million dollar bonus you produce stuff in China. If you believe in American quality and what made this country great, you can and will make your stuff here! Everything I make is from here (sorry mostly ot bike stuff) and I am proud to do so. I do not drive a Bently or have servants, nor do I feel the need for that crap. I do sleep well at night!

The thing we have to remember is once that money goes to China or Mexico or wherever it rarely ever comes back. All that money we think it is saving us is gone out of our economy and is causing much farther reaching problems than we realize. When no one is working then guess what, we will not be buying!

18. 2935ford

2935ford

folks...check very carefully.........

I bought a part that said on the box "Made in USA" the part inside said made offshore, China I believe.
    The BOX was made in USA.

How's that for trickery!

19. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

It's not this complicated - you don't have to compile and constantly update a giant list of manufacturers.
    Every time you buy a part, just investigate a little. I just bought a u-joint Wednesday and I called O'Reilly, asked them for the part, and then said "Is it made in USA?" He pulled the package and said yes. It's a Federal Mogul part with an O'Reilly brand on the box and it is made in USA (NOT "Assembled in USA" or "Made in USA of domestic and foreign components")

Just repeat that simple process every time you buy something. Websites and catalogs usually specify Made in USA if it is. If they don't say so, ask, because odds are that it isn't.

21. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Does "Made in America" include parts made in Mexico, Canada? They are both in America, i.e. North America. Or does it have to be "Made in the USA"?

I guess I have two hybrids (nicer word than "bastards"). I have a Chevy motor in my '32 Ford and I have CP pistons and Carrillo rods in my "made in Japan" car :)

22. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Weathertech is one company that I admire for their position on the issue, take a read here:

http://www.weathertech.com/assets/1/7/whatmatterstoyou112SCR.pdf

A message from MacNeil Automotive Founder/CEO David MacNeil explains they have taken an obvious choice and gone to the point of producing this note that appears in their advertisements in major magazines.

It can be done, and it takes everyone in the chain of design, supply, labor, management, consumer, and executive to be focused in this direction for the USA.

And of course all of us as consumers, that vote by paying for quality products, even if it does cost a little more.

23. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I think it IS that complicated. Every manufacturer seems to have their own definition of exactly how much work must be done in the USA in order to qualify as "Made in the USA". How much work do you think the government is doing out there to enforce against false claims? I would say, "next to none."

I have also had the experience of getting an auto parts box that read "Made in USA", then opening the box and pulling out a part labeled, "Made in Canada".

To complicate matters, many name brand part manufacturers don't actually manufacture much anymore ... they contract with other manufacturers in who knows where, then they just brand the parts and distribute them. They might get forgings from one country, ball joints from another country, press them together and paint them in a third country, then package them and ship them here in the USA. And it might change next month based on supplier capacity, exchange rates, weather, and who knows what else.

Would you trust that company to keep track of each lot of parts for each part number and make sure that the box labeling of each part is 100% accurate? Even if they intended to, it would require some effort.

So not only would a database of all manufacturers be required, but also a database of each individual part number. And it would need to be updated monthly. And it would require confidential information from inside each company to really verify where the components and parts came from. So you would actually have to go a step beyond the level of databasing that most manufacturers are doing internally, without access to the records that make it possible.

Or you could just take the manufacturer's word for it.

And, honestly, I think many manufacturers stretch the truth to play upon the heartstrings of us patriotic folks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  24. PORTER mufflers are Made in the USA.

25. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

I will definitely choose Weathertech when I need a product they produce.They get it! Thanks for the link, I finally found a CEO worthy of respect.

26. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

You're exactly right! I'm not going to go into a long spiel here (after all this is the HAMB and therefore A-political) but do yourself a favor and google a certain presidential candidates name, greg palast and Delphi (formerly AC Delco). You'll hear a story about greed, corruption and the firing of 25,000 UAW workers in favor of cheap Chinese labor, just to save a buck.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anyone who thinks Unions are why we no longer make anything in the USA is a total idiot.

28. atomickustom

atomickustom

My point is that it is much easier to investigate one particular part that you need, rather than trying to maintain some sort of master database of all the parts made by everyone. I think you actually made my point for me.

29. Engle cams when you can find them are ground in America.

So if you have done the investigation what does it cost you to post the result on a specific part? If I know for instance that a secific wheel bearing is manufatured here and need it I don't have to investigate if you have already done that.

30. prpmmp

prpmmp

x2 Thank You!! Pete