Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, Here is what the '65 looked like as purchased. Luckily, the car still had it's H&M VIN plate. I do all my own work except final paint. Thanks for the props!
    [​IMG]
    Having grown up in Florida and lived within about 50 miles of the Atlantic or the Gulf all of my life, I am quite familair with what y'all are going through up in the NE. I've been through that particular rotation a number of times. It is no fun.

2. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Re: Historic Stock Car Photos
    <hr style="color:#e5e5e5; background-color:#e5e5e5" size="1"> John, Here is what the '65 looked like as purchased. Luckily, the car still had it's H&M VIN plate. I do all my own work except final paint. Thanks for the props!
    [​IMG]

This is what you started with?!? :eek: Sir, you are a god among rebiulders. Truly it is a labor of love that spurs you on. I tell you, if i was your neighbor I'd be over to the shop everyday to help. I'd be a total pest, to which you would eventually through me out. :D

3. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

I guess I just like a challenge. Of course, it doesn't make a difference whether I like it or not since you almost never find an old Grand National car in more than "challenging" condition..HA!

[​IMG]

4. daytona5002011

daytona5002011
    from fulton,ill

Im in to collecting racing items and Im wanting to start collecting old racing photos. Does anybody know how I can get started and where I can get old photos.

5. racer_dave

racer_dave

Hi All,

New to the site. Just found out that Dan Wright 'Allstarracing' had passed away this summer. I did some searching and found this forum and was thrilled to see so many of his cars and pictures posted.

The reason this matters is beacuase Dan was the person who helped me get into racing. As a high school kid in Jeffersonville Indiana my parents were divorced and I had no way to get into racing, which is what I desperatly wanted. And then I met Dan, and his friend Steve Packer in 1984. They let me tag along in the pits and taught me how to work on cars and then a year later let me drive one of their cars. It was the white/orange #17 chevelle that Dan's wife raced. On weeks she didn't drive, I got to use the car.

I've been in racing ever since and have been able to drive everything from steet stocks to dirt and pavement late models. I moved to the carolinas and was even able to spend some time in the late 90's working for a few NASCAR teams, spotting, crewing.

On the board, Dan shared all kinds of history (I spent a good few hours on here last night reading all the posts) and he was the same in person. Always willing to help, always having fun. We lost track when I went away to school (long before the internet and cell phones) and never really got a chance to catch back up.

Anyway, this is just my way of posting a thank you to Dan, and to Steve, who took a kid and gave him his dream. And if anyone frequenting the board knows how to contact Steve, fwd him this post. I'd like to get a chance to thank him in person. Or find me on facebook David Guarino, Edwardsburg, MI

Thanks Dan...

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

David, glad to have you here. Dan was a great one for sharing.

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never knew or met Dan, but sure enjoyed getting to know him through this thread. He was a pure racer. RIP Dan.

And thanks again John for bringing everyone together here.

8. TACOS29TUDOR

TACOS29TUDOR

the cars one of my best friends dad used to run on the local dirt tracks the one on the left had a 289 and the one in the center i believe had a 390

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, BrerHair. It was just an idea that took off.

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

BTW, for those who want to see and post 70s and 80s stockers, there's a thread on TrackForum.com, in the Danny B's section.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  11. steve07

steve07

Great forum, love the old stock car pics. I am a fan of old Mercurys. I have seen some 57 Merc pics, but does anyone have any pictures of any 58 Mercs? You would think with the bigger engines available in 1958 that there would have been someone racing one of them old babies.

12. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif, 1968 Nascar "Motor Trend 500"

6X Winston West champion Ray Elder in one of his early attempts at running Riverside. He purchased this car from 2X Winston West champion Jack McCoy who drove it to the W.West championship in 1966 (series was then called PCLM).

[​IMG]

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great photo of a classic body style, Beentherebefore!

14. southern indiana fan

southern indiana fan
    from 2012

Sadly Ray Elder passed away November 11 2011. Ray and his wife were running a mini mart at the time (info from www.jayski.com) and it was reported on a web site he was restoring his 1969 Dodge Daytona.

15. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Here is the original version of the car, John.....when Jack McCoy raced it. Picture taken at the old San Gabriel Valley Speedway (also known as Speedway 605) in Irwindale, Calif.

[​IMG]

16. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Mrs. Elder is still working towards the completion of the Daytona's restoration. Luckily Ray never got rid of his spare parts. I am told there is still a shop full of vintage Mopar go fast goodies on the farm. Last I saw of the car it was ready for paint.

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Beenthere!

18. Falconred

Falconred

I know this car doesn't fit the HAMB but it is more about the driver than the car!

I have just learned that long time Georgia dirt track driver Luther Carter has passed away. We have lost another of the greats of the sport and our condolence goes out the the family. I wili post any more information as I find it.

RIP, Luther:

19. k9racer

k9racer

Luther was a damn good driver. Also did good on asphalt. ................................Years ago when he had a little 52 chevy business coup with a 292 six cly engine. He would win the hobby class and then If they were short cars in the cadet class 302 V8 engines he would race and some times win with that little car built by Webb Mayfield............................................................ One time I was in Ga with a late model crew and Luther and John Henry got into a fight. it turned in to a mess as the wifes and crews and fans all were into it. I did not think it was ever going to stop..

20. Falconred

Falconred

I recently aquired a scan of an old photo my late father in law had. This was around the Auburndale, FL area and was probably in the early to mid 1950's. The owner and/or driver was previously from PA. Any one have any information on this car or the folks in the photo. Nice to keep the photo alive anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  21. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

Here are a couple of water colors I did a while back. "We Don't Need No Stinking Guard Rails" - Curtis Crider in 63 Merc and Buddy Baker in 64 Ford at Hillsboro 1964. Also Freddie lorenzen and friends at Bristol, 1964 - called "Battle at Bristol".
    Dan McCrary

22. k9racer

k9racer

Great art work. Do you sell copies? Looking at the picture you can tell that was when a driver was a driver. No fire suit.........NO full face helmet...............NO Hans device......NO radios...................No power stearing...................Not having all drivers looking the same and talking that same old bull shit talk to plug sponsors ........NO 16 year old kids.... Cars that looked like real cars. Those of us that are of that age were lucky we were able to see real racing and drivers.

23. Dog427435

Dog427435

Dan has some great artwork & prints &#8211; I have about a dozen around my house and garage!!

24. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

k9racer and Dog - Thanks very much for the compliments. k9, I can send you to my web site www.dmccraryart.com - though it is being rebuilt after being destroyed by hackers or something. Also, if you are on facebook, go to my page and look through my timeline photos, or go to my other fb page dan mccrary automotive art and check a couple of the albums there. You could call me at 704 372-2899, and I could help you w/ various sizes, prices, etc. Sorry about the inconvenience while we get the site fixed.
    Dan

25. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

Here are some more of my water colors.
    Dan McCrary

26. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Hi Dan,

My friend just gave me one of your beautiful lithographs of David Person for a Christmas gift. You sir are quite the artist and I'm very proud to own one of your works. I too am an illustrator mostly pen and ink and pencil, but never really have the time to do it. And at my age now times getting less and less. Anyway, you keep up the great work, and keep those great legends alive through your brush strokes.

27. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

Thanks very much for those kind words, John. I'm honored.
    Dan

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Hey guys, just saw on the intro page that Darel Deirenger has joined the HAMB. If he can ever learn to post photos you would be amazed at the cool stuff he has stashed away. Hope he gets involved on this thread.

29. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Just a heads up to the Ga. hambers

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Darel Jr. called me last night to tell me he had seen this thread and liked it. I knew his dad, and met him while I was at IRP and he was racing trucks in a series we had there on the oval. He's really interested, and he's someone who was born into racing, and has memories of being with Richard Petty and the Allisons before he was in his teens. His first job in racing was working for Bobby Allison. He'll be a great addition here, and I hope he scans some of his photos and posts them.